Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

I ran it one more time with the Fluke hooked to the battery.... at idle (a low idle...'bout 900), peanut gauge reads 11.9, Fluke reads 12.4. Rev'd to about 3K.... peanut reads 14.0, Fluke reads 14.4. I guess when ya by from China... that's what you get. Oh well, it'll work... just need to remember it's about a half a volt low.
Picked up a spare TCI box awhile back, so I plugged it in to test it. It Works. :)
Went ahead and re-torqued the head... now where the hell did I put the upper mount bits.... :umm:
Isn'i there a calibration adjuster on the backside of that little Chinese voltmeter? I thought I saw that on the E-Bay listing..........maybe a different one?

Shakin' Off the Funk....
Got close to 60° today.... and sunny. Me and the dogs went for a short walk... I think the cabin fever is finally breaking. So, while the test rotor was doin' it's burn, I decided to pay some attention to my girlfriend....

I'd stripped the tank last fall and started the bodywork. Finished it up today. Tank is ready for prime and paint.

View attachment 136981

View attachment 136982

Also made the tank fixture last fall. It allows me to easily get paint inside the tunnel. Check out the forward mounts... the hanger brackets from the EMGO Commando's. :rolleyes:

View attachment 136983

View attachment 136984

The left sidecover had that gawdawful orange/gold metalflake on it...'bout a half an inch thick...:rolleyes: Took forever to sand it off...

View attachment 136985
View attachment 136986

Right one was trashed. I picked up a replacement that still had the original paint on it. It cleaned up much faster.

View attachment 136987

Supposed to be warm this next week, so hopefully... fingers crossed... prime and paint time.

ALL RIGHT!!! Jim’s back baby! Chuck Norris approves!
F7488ADD-0E43-48AD-BB6F-95E567A0BD88.jpeg

I can’t wait to see your results! :geek:

Isn'i there a calibration adjuster on the backside of that little Chinese voltmeter? I thought I saw that on the E-Bay listing..........maybe a different one?
Must be. This one has no adjustment.

Jim, I'm also waiting for a warm still day to get spraying (Virago tank). I still need to apply some more spray filler and sand the surface near perfect. The last time I sprayed a tank was an XS1B in 1986 and it was originally metallic orange. Below is my rottisserie setup:
Tank.jpg

Unlike you I will mask off the tank and spray the tunnel on a bench first - Bit of practice..

Keep at it and I hope you get a break in the weather soon.

Jim, I'm also waiting for a warm still day to get spraying (Virago tank). I still need to apply some more spray filler and sand the surface near perfect. The last time I sprayed a tank was an XS1B in 1986 and it was originally metallic orange. Below is my rottisserie setup:
View attachment 136998

Unlike you I will mask off the tank and spray the tunnel on a bench first - Bit of practice..

stick a sausage on that spit Paul ... I'll be right over :)

Very nice ideas all around! I like the rotisserie and Dude's old Singer sewing machine work table.

You guys are giving me inspiration to get going on Lucille's original tank so that I can return the loaner to Lakeview (aka The Earl of North Buxton). Unfortunately, its too danged cold here right now to even think about painting anything.

Soon though...soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 136998

That would do to rotate the tank when full of wood screws and Diesel to clean out the rust. Got me thinking.

New Seat. Grrrr.....
Only got up to 49° today. So no large scale outdoor painting. Small indoor jobs only. Cleaned up and painted the seat latch mechanism and lock assy. Installed with stainless hardware.

1.jpg

Set the new seat in place and it didn't fit. Sumbich..... Had to pull the taillight and grab rail so I could see what was going on. The tabs on the seat were about 3/16 of an inch wider than the frame brackets they were supposed to slide into. Went down to the basement and measured original ugly seat. Sure as hell.... 3/16" narrower. So I took the ugly, rusted latch assy off the ugly seat to use on the beautiful new seat. Somewhere 'tween the basement and garage, my bulldog reared it's ugly head and said..... "ain't no way were puttin' that ugly ass hardware on that bike... figure it out Jim." Right... gotta heed the bulldog.
Fix was actually pretty simple... yeah, famous last words. I slid two washers between the latch assy and the frame....

2.jpg

Latch got pretty scratched up while trying to make the seat fit, but I figure it's gonna get scratched anyway in the normal course of pulling and installing seat. Let it be Jim..... :rolleyes:

Set the seat on it and the tabs slid in perfectly.... and the latches were about an eighth of an inch short of engaging. F&%k.... Glanced at the ugly (but correct) hardware... bulldog bit me on the ass.... OK...OK... focus Jim.... Added two fender washers to each stud on the seat, reinstalled latch....

3.jpg

4.jpg

And we have a winner. :D A perfect fit.

5.jpg

Reinstalled grab rail and hooked up taillight. Job done.... bulldog went and took a nap.

6.jpg

Also.... finally found the upper engine mount hardware (don't ask... :rolleyes:), bead blasted, painted and reinstalled. Still needs torque but one step closer...

7.jpg

Last edited:
New Seat. Grrrr.....
Only got up to 49° today. So no large scale outdoor painting. Small indoor jobs only. Cleaned up and painted the seat latch mechanism and lock assy. Installed with stainless hardware.

View attachment 137021

Set the new seat in place and it didn't fit. Sumbich..... Had to pull the taillight and grab rail so I could see what was going on. The tabs on the seat were about 3/16 of an inch wider than the frame brackets they were supposed to slide into. Went down to the basement and measured original ugly seat. Sure as hell.... 3/16" narrower. So I took the ugly, rusted latch assy off the ugly seat to use on the beautiful new seat. Somewhere 'tween the basement and garage, my bulldog reared it's ugly head and said..... "ain't no way were puttin' that ugly ass hardware on that bike... figure it out Jim." Right... gotta heed the bulldog.
Fix was actually pretty simple... yeah, famous last words. I slid two washers between the latch assy and the frame....

View attachment 137022

Latch got pretty scratched up while trying to make the seat fit, but I figure it's gonna get scratched anyway in the normal course of pulling and installing seat. Let it be Jim..... :rolleyes:

Set the seat on it and the tabs slid in perfectly.... and the latches were about an eighth of an inch short of engaging. F&%k.... Glanced at the ugly (but correct) hardware... bulldog bit me on the ass.... OK...OK... focus Jim.... Added two fender washers to each stud on the seat, reinstalled latch....

View attachment 137023

View attachment 137024

And we have a winner. :D A perfect fit.

View attachment 137025

Reinstalled grab rail and hooked up taillight. Job done.... bulldog went and took a nap.

View attachment 137026

Also.... finally found the upper engine mount hardware (don't ask... :rolleyes:), bead blasted, painted and reinstalled. Still needs torque but one step closer...

View attachment 137027
Your seat looks great, Jim.

When I got my '83, I had similar struggles with fitment. I found that the PO had shimmed the seat with cereal box material, but it needed more, and I ended up using fender washers, like you. Still isn't perfect.....

looking good ....another step nearer finishing Jim .:)

Looks like your Ramair filter clamp is a bit skewiff ?
i've been meaning to tell Ramair that their filter casting leaves a lot to be desired. The internal rubber lip is very short and beveled and its a devil of a job clamping them as the clamp tends to squeeze the filters off when tightened

Back