Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Tank Paint.... continued.
First off, I kept referring to the primer yesterday as epoxy. It's not, its a 2 part urethane primer sealer. Anyway.... just thought I'd throw out a few pointers on prepping for the topcoats. You'll remember that the tank was stripped to bare metal and then I bondo'd the dings I could see or feel. But bare metal isn't the best medium to detect defects. Primed the tank yesterday and 3 dings stood out like sore thumbs on the gloss primer. There were more.... The way to find them is to take some 400 paper and a block of wood... yeah, block sanding. You do it dry and just lightly hit it to knock off the high spots...

15.jpg

I'd already laid some glazing putty in the 3 dings I'd found yesterday.

10.jpg

As I sanded them down, other depressions appeared...

11.jpg

12.jpg

The red arrow is a depression unseen just above the obvious one. White arrow is another. On the black circle the 2 bare metal spots sanded on either side of the putty means that whole area is depressed slightly. The white circle is a shiny spot that the paper didn't touch. Yup another ding. More putty, then back to the block sanding....

13.jpg

Contrast that with the left side and the top. A light sanding and no shiny spots. Perfectly straight.

14.jpg

After all the putty is good, I'll reshoot them with a thick coat of primer, then repeat the light block sanding to see if I missed anything... then the whole tank gets wet sanded with 600... and it'll be ready for paint.

This folks.... is why a quality paint job ain't cheap.... many time consuming steps.

Last edited:
When I painted my tank and side covers earlier this winter, it was maddening how many times I had to sand and re-prime. Each time would seem to uncover another small ding or low area. Patience and persistence definitely pays when you want a good paint job. Then just when you think there is a perfect clearcoat laid down, bam, a bug or dust particle shows up....more wet sanding, rinse, repeat.....

More Tank...
Got all the glazing smoothed out. Shot a coat of fill primer on it for the last of the pinholes. I'll sand most of that off just prior to the sealer coat. 35° and light snow today, so... yeah, no painting today. :yikes: Supposed to get back to the 60's Tue.

IMG_20190330_135009.jpg

IMG_20190330_131145.jpg

Jim - this is off topic of your paint job. I have a couple questions. I noticed you switched to pod filters. Did you re-jet your BS34's? I plan on doing the same and checked Mike's. They have main jets but I didn't see any pilot jets for the BS34, plus they don't look to be genuine Mikuni. Mine are running stock jets now (132.5 main / 42.5 pilot). Searched this forum for the best source for genuine Mikuni jets, didn't seem to find a good source. Any advice?

Jim - this is off topic of your paint job. I have a couple questions. I noticed you switched to pod filters. Did you re-jet your BS34's? I plan on doing the same and checked Mike's. They have main jets but I didn't see any pilot jets for the BS34, plus they don't look to be genuine Mikuni. Mine are running stock jets now (132.5 main / 42.5 pilot). Searched this forum for the best source for genuine Mikuni jets, didn't seem to find a good source. Any advice?
Been happy wit dees guyz http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categ...-category/jettting-tuning/genuine_mikuni.html ship fast and just charge first class parcel rates for small orders like $3 shipping for a handful of jets

I got my jets from Niche Cycles. They're genuine Mikuni parts.
I bumped my mains to 135... figuring it would be a good baseline to start with. In retrospect.... with the Commando's and pods, maybe I should have started up one more size and one up on the pilots. Anyway.... won't be long now and I'll know where to go from here.

I'm probably not the guy to ask about the pods. I paid way too much for mine. Thought I ordered 2 for a "certain price." Turns out that price was for just one. :yikes:

Well, been ponderin' this for a while now.... Buddy of mine has been pestering me for ages about the SG. He's offered me a stupid amount of money for it... more than I can pass on. He's coming to pick it up tomorrow. :(

Last edited:
Well, been ponderin' this for a while now.... Buddy of mine has been pestering me for ages about the SG. He's offered me a stupid amount of money for it... more than I can pass on. He's coming to pick it up tomorrow. :(
:(:mad::(:mad:

Back