Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

The usual re-jetting "formula" for your typical "pods & pipes" mod with the BS34's is one up on the pilots and two up on the mains. One up on the mains might do if you only did one of those mods (pods OR pipes), but not with both.

2XSive, don't get those short UNI's with the capped ends, they don't flow much more than stock really. The ones you want are the UP4229, same as the UP4200 you linked to but with a slightly larger mounting flange I.D. They will fit on your BS34 carbs better than the UP4200's.

Seems this place is becoming a "flipper's" paradise, lol.

664FAD6B-43C4-42B4-B46A-8B30769FF4A8.jpeg

Tell your friend that the sales contract comes with a commitment to join the forum and show us your finished bike!
I do hope you’re still hanging around and not changing hobbies on us. You’re in the brotherhood you know.
Your buddy is getting a really nice bike! :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000OO0X9A
Understood. Thanks. Did some further research and looks like these will work better and a bit less expensive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZMZKC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P&psc=1
I’m wondering if those plastic-capped uni’s will have similar air turbulence issues as the pleated k&n’s. The uni UP4200 are 4” long full-foam and fit perfectly with just a bit of room between them and the battery box. Above is a link. Ps sorry for the thread-jack, Jim!

The UP4200's fit perfectly on the BS38's, not the BS34's. I don't think there's a turbulence issue with the short capped UNI's, they simply don't flow much air because of their smaller size (and end cap). Why bother even changing to them over the stock airbox if they don't flow any better?

<Peeks around the corner>...... safe to come back in?

peek2.gif

OK... enough of this silliness. Time to get back to it. Apologies to anyone offended by my prank. :(

Try as you might, it's damn near impossible to not get pinholes with this glaze. Not happy with it, I threw the tube out and ordered some good ol' 3M putty for future use. Shoulda went with my gut and used it in the first place. Oh well... it's done now....

IMG_20190401_154904.jpg

.... and a good coat of the urethane sealer.

IMG_20190401_155214.jpg

Nice and straight now.

Last edited:
Jim, you're a wicked sod. Please stay that way ;)

On the pods and pipes front, over the winter I put UP4229ST pods on the BS34s on my '82, stainless downpipes with torque inserts and shorty reverse cone megas from Heiden Tuning (same as the ones from MikesXS). Jerry Heiden recommended "With these filters and exhaust you need 145 main jet
And 45 pilot jet Mixture screw 3 full turns open" and I find this is working really well. I use a bit more fuel than I used to and my hooligan streak has widened ....

A drop in fuel mileage is one of the signs you've over-jetted on these CV carbs, which you very well could have with a 145 main. On the other hand, I think the fuel formulations you have "across the pond" differ from our U.S. gas so jetting requirements may as well.

Well, been ponderin' this for a while now.... Buddy of mine has been pestering me for ages about the SG. He's offered me a stupid amount of money for it... more than I can pass on. He's coming to pick it up tomorrow. :(

There should be a "definitely dislike no way in hell I support this" button. Okay guys, time to think about how y'all will get back at Jim.

Back