Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Both. Power on the initial rubdown, then by hand to finish it off.
Looks great! I have never attempted a paint job but I may have to try it
If I could get my Tank and side covers looking that good WOW
I want to go with the stock color on mine but then I also have the decal placement to deal with
I'll get it running good first and then I may have to try it One thing at a time
Great ! job Jim

Last edited:
Well since I couldn't find anything on this site and no one seems to have an opinion, I ordered the kit from Mikes. All I need from it is the diaphragm.... fingers crossed. Rest of the petcock is back together with OEM seals.....

View attachment 138678
Jim, that is one fine looking restored fuel petcock. It is very rare to see that detail on parts as that. Those details sure stand out and make the difference. The assumption is the other intricate parts of the build must be as perfect. It appears as it is going along nicely. The diaphragm petcock kit that you purchased from MikesXS will be perfectly fine. They locate and supply as many parts as they can muster to keep us going. The majority of these carb and fuel related items come from major named distributors as K&L, Sudco and Niche. Why would someone give bad press to Mikes is beyond me. We are fortunate to have them as one of the major suppliers so we can keep these beauts on the road and also the well viewed vintage shows. Keep it going on that build.

Thanks for the kind words @Techman .... but your comment took a left turn into a serious plug for Mikes. So naturally... that set my spidey sense to tingling. Turns out that every comment you post is a plug for MikeXS. Then all the way back to one of your first comments here, I found this....

Untitled.png

Your comment reads as "us and them." Us being members and "them" being Mikes.... when in fact you are both us and them. Mind you, there's nothing really wrong with that... and there's nothing really wrong with plugging Mikes stuff. But to do so without full disclosure, I feel, is rather unsportsmanlike of you. Maybe not to the point of drawing a penalty... but unsportsmanlike none the less.

I think that having you as a rep. for Mikes on this forum is an excellent idea... both for Mikes and for us. I'd like to see you check in daily and do your rep. thing. But I really think that full disclosure is essential when offering advice. At the least, add the fact that you work for Mikes in your signature. Better yet, contact the admins. I'm guessing they would be happy to change your name to something like "MikesXS Techman."
Cheers.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more with Jim’s comments above - they are right on and respectfully put in my view.

As a community that restores, rides and enjoys an old motorcycle, I believe that we are fortunate to have MikesXS (and XS650Direct for those of us in Canada) to supply parts and support our activities - BUT - it is important to be upfront when advocating for a business.

Having cleared that away, I really do welcome you as a member of the XS650 Forum and I truly hope that you can use the experiences of the other members to enhance MikesXS’s products and expand the offerings.

As you will know from reading countless posts, many of MikesXS’ products are just fine, but there are some that have rather glaring deficiencies and everyone knows it - yet, these go UNcorrected for years. Examples include:
- the starter gear #4 “hair clip” spring which is too loose on the gear housing to function properly;
- the fuel tank inlet rubber gasket which fits too tight and usually cracks and splits within a very short time;
- the numerous carburetor “kits” which are missing the needed parts but contain all sorts of irrelevant parts;

In terms of expanding your offerings, Standard fuel tanks would be a hugely welcome addition as would replica pattern exhausts.

I guess my point is (and the #4 starter gear hair clip is the best example), your firm has gone to a huge amount of effort to source and supply replacement parts for one of the most common AND popular old bikes around - and yet, you’ve missed the mark by just a tiny bit and are selling a part which simply does not work properly - thus impairing your reputation. Correcting the “too loose” fit would be such a simple matter - and if you made that very small extra effort, you really have a successful part. I sincerely believe that nobody would care if you raised the price to cover any added costs - we’re all pursuing a hobby here not trying make money.

Anyhow - I don’t wish to be overly critical, but am just trying to point out that you have an excellent opportunity here to really enhance your business.

Cheers,

Pete

I agree that being upfront about who someone is working for is very important.

Also I feel that having a supplier rep. as a regular viewer would be very beneficial for everyone. Trying to work in a vacuum to supply parts makes no sense!

Supplier could learn of parts many are looking for for possible new items to add to catalog and learn of problems buyers are having with products, their own or their competitors, so they can make changes to improve them and thereby increase sales.

Pete said it better and in more detail than I did and I guess I just type too slow!

Nice catch there Jim. Yeah, UP FRONT would be the honest way to go about it. An up front rep to gripe to about some products that are not up to snuff would be a good thing too, but only if they had answers or solutions to offer.

MaxPete, the tensions on those clips just has to be a part of the repair/assembly process. Yeah, manufacturing can get the tension close, but I don't see any other way that the final tension can be set other than a final adjustment when installing the part. Just has to be that way.

Scott

MaxPete, the tensions on those clips just has to be a part of the repair/assembly process. Yeah, manufacturing can get the tension close, but I don't see any other way that the final tension can be set other than a final adjustment when installing the part. Just has to be that way.

Well, we may have to agree to disagree on that point Scott. I tested several aftermarket replacements and they were all too loose while every single one of the OEM parts I had were just fine. If MamaYama and their supplier can get it right, I don’t see why MikesXS can’t too.

Ooohhh - the other example is the aftermarket alternator brush brackets which are too high - this is just an incorrectly bent little piece of metal strapping and it could be corrected at zero cost.

Anyhow, the point about having a good contact within the supplier has been made effectively, IMO.

Pete

Well, we may have to agree to disagree on that point Scott. I tested several aftermarket replacements and they were all too loose while every single one of the OEM parts I had were just fine. If MamaYama and their supplier can get it right, I don’t see why MikesXS can’t too.

Ooohhh - the other example is the aftermarket alternator brush brackets which are too high - this is just an incorrectly bent little piece of metal strapping and it could be corrected at zero cost.

Anyhow, the point about having a good contact within the supplier has been made effectively, IMO.

Pete
Good catch Jim
I also totally agree with the others be up front with us
You will earn respect and not the oh oh no wonder nobody wants their parts
And pay attention to what members are saying about the quality of the parts Good parts happy/Repeat customers
I among others are always asking should I buy from Mike's or get on Ebay or use OEM number's to try and find the quality parts that will work consistently
Thanks for the parts you do offer just up the quality please
Done ranting and yes I will still need more parts and have bought from Mike's in the past
Ok one more thing if the parts are small keep the postage reasonable please

Last edited:
Good catch Jim
I also totally agree with the others be up front with us
You will earn respect and not the oh oh no wonder nobody wants their parts
And pay attention to what members are saying about the quality of the parts Good parts happy/Repeat customers
I among others are always asking should I buy from Mike's or get on Ebay or use OEM number's to try and find the quality parts that will work consistently
Thanks for the parts you do offer just up the quality please
Done ranting and yes I will still need more parts and have bought from Mike's in the past
Ok one more thing if the parts are small keep the postage reasonable please
Sorry to hog your thread Jim give us more advice on painting etc. I've got a lot to learn and now time to try a few things out
Make sure we get to see the tank and covers on the bike

Well, since I called this guy out (respectfully I hope) I think I need to speak up for him also.....
He did initially identify himself as a Mikes employee. So I give him credit for that... somewhere along the line the wheels came off....

I think you were respectful it was something that needed mentioning that's all
I wish he would start his own thread in the shop area asking how they could improve and or add to their product line
He might get an earful to start out with but also lot's of good suggestions once the smoke cleared there is a need for 1 stop shopping for us for quality parts
Anyway thanks again

Hey guys, ease up. I am motorcycle people just like you. Just trying to help out a bit. Not trying to hide. It is not appropriate to push product on the forum. The bashing sometime hits hard. Just not yelling it out (if you know what I mean). A question was presented about a concern of a Mikes part and nobody answered , so I thought I would step in the ring. Trust me, all the forum guys out there combined have it all nailed down. This information is so important now a days. The DIY and the newbies group are the ones who benefit here. Trust me, I am typing all day long, answering emails assisting customer as much as possible. Mikes has moved in a much better direction then in the past. The customers seemed to be pleased with the new approach. We take all the advise we can and it is a tough ship to turn. Keep the cards, comments and letters flowing and MikesXS will do all we can to oblige. A quick note to the customer service email is all it takes now a days.

Hey guys, ease up. I am motorcycle people just like you. Just trying to help out a bit. Not trying to hide. It is not appropriate to push product on the forum. The bashing sometime hits hard. Just not yelling it out (if you know what I mean). A question was presented about a concern of a Mikes part and nobody answered , so I thought I would step in the ring. Trust me, all the forum guys out there combined have it all nailed down. This information is so important now a days. The DIY and the newbies group are the ones who benefit here. Trust me, I am typing all day long, answering emails assisting customer as much as possible. Mikes has moved in a much better direction then in the past. The customers seemed to be pleased with the new approach. We take all the advise we can and it is a tough ship to turn. Keep the cards, comments and letters flowing and MikesXS will do all we can to oblige. A quick note to the customer service email is all it takes now a days.
Thank you

so I thought I would step in the ring
Step in the ring whenever you feel like it. It could be a benefit to the forum, it's members and Mike's.
A quick note to the customer service email is all it takes now a days.
That is true. I've contacted them twice and they were very prompt and helpful.

Hey guys, ease up. I am motorcycle people just like you. Just trying to help out a bit.
I'd say we were being easy. And yeah.... I figured you were a bike guy and we appreciate any help we can get here.
Not trying to hide.
Referring to "us" and "them" gives the impression you weren't being completely up front, doesn't it?
It is not appropriate to push product on the forum.
Oh I don't know about that, I've recommended products here before. What's not appropriate is pushing a product without pointing out that you are vested in that product.... which is exactly what you did.

What I was hoping for was that you'd come back here, apologize for not being up front with us and we'd all put this behind us, living happily ever after. You've chosen a different path. Good luck with that.

Back