Just getting started.

under the swing arm ? I wouldnt . I have seen a battery mounted directly on top of one before ,but you have no room.To bad you could not run a PMA with no battery.You are in toronto and Im guessing you have to run all your signals etc.Dunno if a PMA can handle all that .will it fit under the seat ? maybe do a cardboard mockup using the old frame tubes that are projecting up ? have to check shock/ tire clearance n travel to see i guess.Just throwing some ideas your way bud :)

I'll have a better look at it tonight. But we really have no room elsewhere. I will mock something up before going ahead with anything that's for sure.

Yeah, I personally wouldn't attach it to the swingarm in any way. That's adding more unsprung weight to an already heavier than normal wheel assembly, due to its added length ...not to mention all the harsh vibration and punishment the electronics would be exposed to.

There either has to be a box added to the rear of the frame area below the seat, or like McGyver62 said, go with a battery-less system. The nice part about that is you could lose the starter too, and use that space beneath the gearbox for your electronics. Someone here recently posted up that mod and it looked very nice.

It's only money! :D

-R

So we got to looking at the bike, swingarm and electronics last night. The battery and everything else will not all fit under the swing arm. So with the uniqueness of the battery we have decided that it needs to be seen. We are going to hang it under the seat. Here are a few pic's....

This image kind of shows how small the battery is.

photo-103.jpg

photo-104.jpg

And where we decided to mount it.

photo-101.jpg

The wife allowed me out of the house last night. Thanks honey. Not much really got accomplished but we did get a couple things sorted out. Just trying to get my head wrapped around a few things before running some wire. I need to replace the voltage regulatorand rectifier as the originals are full of green corrosion. Now I've read around somewhere that their are replacements out there that are combined units or better than stock replacements.

Now just so you know I am totally rewiring the bike, front to back. So connectors don't really matter. I can make anything work. Also I kind of leaning towards a Pamco ignition to get away from the old school points I have now. Also the smaller coil assembly will fit nicer under my sporty tank.

Suggestions????

Search Chrysler reg and Radio Shack rec mods. Easy inexpensive around $30, and repair parts availible right down the street and most anywhere you might take it.
For a bit more money you can get a combo reg/rec from a later 80 up bike, Used on Ebay, $50 and up, or a new replacement from several places, starting about $100.
Read up on all the options.
If you go PMA, The one Hugh sells puts out more than the stock alternator and won't use 3-4 amps just to keep it self running. So it will easily run all the lights as well as keep a battery large enough to use the elecric starter charged.
Pamco is easy to install, it can use many different coils.
On putting stuff on the swing arm, If it has nothing to do with the wheel or brakes it don't belong on a swing arm.
Leo

Thanks for the tips Leo. I have been reading around and searching here and there. I'm in Canada and Radio Shack went the way of the Dodo long ago around these parts. So I'll need to find these bits elsewhere. The regulator isn't an issue as I work for a large automotive/performance parts distributor based in PA although I'm in the Canadian office.

I'll do some more reading tonight.

If you go to www.radioshack.com youcan get them there. Price is up a bit, they cost $3.49, used to be $3.29. Still a good deal.
Item #276-1185 25A 50V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifiers
Don't know the shipping charges. As long as the recifiers you get are 25 amp 50 volt or better then they will work.
The alternator puts out 11 amps at 2000 rpms, 16 amps at 5000 rpms. At that rate, 7500 rpms will be around 20 amps. So any thing over 20 amps and 12 volts will work.
Your in parts? They used to sell parts for car alternators, car alternators used a set of six diodes in heat sinks, three positive, three negitive. If you can get one of those then it will work well. Car alternators put out a lot more than our 650's ever will, it should last forever.
Leo

Alright, I got that problem solved. A member of my car club is heading to buffalo this weekend. He is grabbing me 4, so I'll have a complete spare unit. Stripped the stock harness last night. Getting one step closer to pulling some wire. Getting excited about getting this closer to final assembly.

Alrighty, we built a tin box to mount the electronics in under the swing arm. I know a lot of you have commented against the idea of doing this but hey, it's my bike. If it dosen't work I'll just need to figure something else out.

On to some pic's.

The box:
photo-113.jpg

The box on the arm. (More work is required)
photo-115.jpg

Hope to get out there before heading off to Atlantic City for work on Thursday.

Hey, it's not the way some of us would do it, but like you said, "It's your bike", and not really any of our business what we think of what you do.

I don't really have the luxury of making a decision of where things are going to end up on my own bike. Due to financial constraints it's going to have to remain VERY close to stock if I expect it to run again at all, so more power to you for taking on the unconventional design changes, and hopefully making them work well for you.

~R

Well we finally got the bike up off the floor and onto a bench. I started pulling some wire and my back was killing me, so the timing couldn't be better. here are a couple updated pictures of what we have done lately.

photo-118.jpg

photo-119.jpg

photo-117.jpg

photo-116.jpg

I see your using the Radio Shack rectifier. Why use the old mechanical regulator? A new solid state one will work better. Not cost much.
Leo

Had a bad experience on eBay once and never went back. High freight charges too. I should have one coming in on our next stock order. Just a waiting game now. But in the mean time.....

So I just found out the next Bike Show is in 2 week. I need to get this done to a point where it looks good enough to enter. At this point it isn't going to be rideable but I'd like to get some feed back on it.

On the other hand, I got my summer shoes on my DD. Check her out.
Check it out

photo-134.jpg

photo-133.jpg

Back