Looking for a shop

mseriously

Newb
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I'm willing to have someone build my bike...was wondering what shops are close to Iowa that I should be looking at? I'm not looking to spend 10k on a build, just wondering if there's anything out there...maybe I can get it to a point where someone can do the finish work and make sure what I got going won't kill me...

Between work, remodeling a house, and family it's hard to find time to do anything...

ck website... marks650yamahas.... north of you....send him a email..photos help … but full blown restorations... are $$$$$.... chrome alone is nearly 2 grand... let him know what you need.. the direction you want to build to be....

I'm at the point where I'm willing to have someone build my bike...was wondering what shops are close to Iowa that I should be looking at? I'm not looking to spend 10k on a build, just wondering if there's anything out there...maybe I can get it to a point where someone can do the finish work and make sure what I got going won't kill me...
Between work, remodeling a house, and family it's hard to find time to do anything...

Hi mseriously,
it's real easy to shell out way more than the bike's market value when paying others to complete your build.
Of course, the cost will depend on how complete the bike is.
Details & photos please?

Well. I found this and it followed me home.

Attachments

• 0822181248.jpg
    0822181248.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 185
It needs a carb cleaning. Other than that, it's all there and complete and it all works. I'm absolutely sick in the head...my thought process is if I have a good example to start from, I can learn from it, and it's motivating. I had a 650 chop a few years ago and learned a lot from it. Re-wired it. Put ex500 carbs on it. Changed sprockets for gearing. Sold it back to original owner. Hopefully this one won't need much at all and I can just ride it back and forth to work...

We are definitely keeping it positive; just reminding you, in case the memory of your last XS650 has dimmed, that your sense of humor is gonna be more important than any item in your tool kit (the next most important quality being your depth of pocket).

Absotively - a sense of humour is crucial as well as NOT counting on getting somewhere on time on your XS650 - until you’ve had it running for a while. Until you’ve had it on the road for some months / miles, you’re likely to find the odd darned thing goes wrong JUST when you need to go somewhere.

You’ll be OK - but you’ll have some experiences along the way and we will all pitch-in whenever we can to help.

The bike looks pretty complete. Get rid of the exhaust wrap before it rusts your headers and get a set of commandos on, the long ones. Sell the shorties or bin them.......might just be the root of your carb problem.

Just thinking here....if a '75 Fender guitar followed me home, would I build it? I guess it depends on what 'build' means.......

The bike looks pretty complete. Get rid of the exhaust wrap before it rusts your headers and get a set of commandos on, the long ones. Sell the shorties or bin them.......might just be the root of your carb problem.

Just thinking here....if a '75 Fender guitar followed me home, would I build it? I guess it depends on what 'build' means.......
You read my thoughts on that one...the shorties are going. Spent the last few days planning and searching the forum and commandos are in the future. You have an opinion on where I should buy them from? What brand/flavor? The exhaust wrap will unravel at some point too.

As for this bike, I'm not touching it, so to speak. I already have a '75 that I'll eventually get "built" or modified one way or another. This one will be another learning tool and then I'll eventually sell it...or keep it. That's just the way it goes. I'm sure I'm not the only one...

I had a 1966 Fender Mustang for my first "real" guitar. It was in original condition. It sounded pretty good. After a while had some questions on it's electronics and pickups because they were scratchy and seemed to feed back a lot. My instructor at the time forbade me to change anything as it was an original machine. Sounded and looked fantastic just the way it was. Don't ever touch it.

Well. I didn't listen.

I eventually got the guts to practice on my beater guitar and discovered some things. Learned a lot. Fast forward a year or so and I finally upgraded the pickups and pots and re-wired my original Fender guitar. I filed the frets to get rid of some fret buzz. My instructor ended up buying it from me in the end. He was, "so glad I never changed anything on the guitar and he swears it sounds better every time he plays it." I know eventually he had to have gotten in there and checked it over...always wondered what he thought.

I still have my beater guitar.

So what the hell am I going on about? I dunno. I like old motorcycles. I don't like to see the good examples getting hacked apart...but I'm not against a cool looking chop or modification if it's done right...to me that's just "hot-rodding"...

I guess I'm saying I like this forum and all the personalities and knowledge...I like that no one is afraid to say what's on their mind. Thanks for the input.

Member named Willis has a Commando thread going on now in the Garage forum. Might check that out. There's some discussion of places to purchase, fitment and a sound video.

Ever heard of Freddymade Guitars? Right now they're in a production hold but Freddy is anal in his ocd when it comes to detail and originality.

Member named Willis has a Commando thread going on now in the Garage forum. Might check that out. There's some discussion of places to purchase, fitment and a sound video.

Ever heard of Freddymade Guitars? Right now they're in a production hold but Freddy is anal in his ocd when it comes to detail and originality.
I will check that one out...and the guitars. Guitars and motorcycles. They go together...

Back