Loud Pipes Are Killing Motorcycles

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, argue all you want but the fact is: loud pipes are killing motorcycles with petition drives and legislation like in the following link popping up all over the country: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110917/GJNEWS_01/709179956/-1/FOSNEWS

Oh sure, this doesn't apply to our XSs but it's only the first step. If people get mad enough they'll petition and legislate our older bikes right out of existence. One of my XSs has stock pipes and still won't meet an 80 db limit but all my bikes are well below the 106 db limit even though loud pipes are less of an issue here in North Carolina than in other states.

I read this stuff every day. Type "motorcycles" into Google Blog Search any day of the week, 24/7 and you'll find new legislation and petitions against loud pipes: http://www.google.com/search?tbm=blg&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1377&bih=645&q=motorcycles&btnG=Search

Most of it is in the New England States but it pops up everywhere and people are getting really pissed off.

The argument is no longer about loud pipes saving lives. Like it or not the argument has become about loud pipes killing motorcycles. And responsible bikers who want to keep riding are putting mufflers on their bikes and getting their bikes to run quieter.

So the choice is fast becoming, do you want to keep riding or do you want loud pipes?

Remember: Less than 3% of Americans ride motorcycles-- loud pipes is not a fight that can be won.

I hear ya, although the mufflers on mine arnt so hot in the "muffling" catagory, they are still better then the open side cut pipers that were on there.

I hear ya, although the mufflers on mine arnt so hot in the "muffling" catagory, they are still better then the open side cut pipers that were on there.

I bought one of my XSs with a deafening 2-1 header on it. I replaced it with stock pipes and Sportster style mufflers and not only is it quieter but it runs better.

And I can ride longer without getting tired.

You are correct. I just read an article about that, and if we do not contact our senators and representers, we will be forced to very restricktive noise limits. New Hampshire has these law's already on the book's, and the Feds are looking at them very favorably. It's not about making noise, but about our choice to have a free-flowing exhaust that MAY be a little louder than the stock exhaust. I have been a member of the A.M.A. for quite some time, and it's orginizations like that who fight for our rights to modify our machine's to our liking.If laws like this are not stopped, we will not be able to modify or build our own machine's in the future.

I would rather keep my life. So loud pipes save lives. The stupid shitheads can't see you cuz there driving in the back seat. Well there Damn well gonna hear me! The damage is done like you said 3% isn't going to change shit. Both my harleys and xs's have drags and that the way they will stay. Im guess my Shovelhead is some where in the 200 db range:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

I live on a corner out from town, seems to me for some the louder the better. Diesel pickup trucks come in 1st with their clouds of black smoke, A few bikes that go by my house are obnoxiously loud, but they seem to be weekend and riders, and with the price of fuel the trucks are not driving as much.
As I'm getting older I like to save my hearing for grandkids and and other stuff.

But Trains that go by 2X per day Have horns that make everything else seem not so bad!
so o well to each his own.

Sure....easy for you to say....you can just reach down anywhere and pick up the perfect sized potato to stick in your ear when you hear ol "Ironsled" coming!

Ol Blue :wink2:

When I was 14 years old I bought my first motorcycle with a little help from my dad. It was a Honda 150. The first thing I did was to remove the mufflers and replace them with vacuum cleaner extensions. All of a sudden I was one of the "wild ones", riding a "race bike". I got tickets for that and soon out grew the need to be a noisy little brat. On the other hand, my Honda ST 1100 is just too quiet. So 50 years later I've decided that it's more about the tone than the volume. A well tuned engine can make sweet music. I just don't need to hear it full blast.

I'll keep my loud pipes thank you. f'ing cagers can't be bother to pay attention when driving so we have no other alternative. when they outright BAN texting, cell phone use and eating in car maybe I'll think about changing my pipes.

As far a neighborhoods go, rider's can ride responsibly and still have loud pipes. I'm thanked by my neighbors on a weekly basis for idling through the neighboor hood or getting it up to 3rd where my pipes quite down at low RPM on my 113ci Raider. My pipes are short and loud as hell when I want them to be. A different neighbor has a 1300cc cruiser with loud pipes and bothers the crap out of everyone including me cause he blasts through the neighborhood as fast and loud as he can. I've called the cops on him at least 3 times this summer alone.

Its all about knowing how to tame your loud pipes.

Delaware doesn't even test anymore. It's up to the inspection guy really.
When those turds in their big ass, smoky stacked, picking up hillbilly, redneck girls with no teeth quit gunning those crap ass dodge trucks that they never use to haul crap while blowing up down the road, I'll get mufflers.
Every day I see some stacked truck flying down the road trying to play "outlaw" or some crappy Honda car with a giant can on the muffler "vrrrzzzzing" along with a wing on the back (Do these idiots realize a wing does nothing for a front-wheel drive car).
Here's my thing. Why in the hell do you need a car that can go 180mph when the speed limit is only 65??
Why not outlaw them???
If they outlaw motorcycle, which they will never do, I will pull out my '89 KX500 and drive it right up there BMW humping asses.
Are they going to outlaw 2-stroke boat engines??? NO!!
I read a report from the AMA that said they are going to outlaw lead because some dirt bikes have lead in certain parts and it can cause brain damage. Do you honestly think they are going to outlaw lead? Seriously.

I have drag pipes, but as Capt Zoom suggests, I tame them in areas that I know it will bother someone.

I've decided that it's more about the tone than the volume. A well tuned engine can make sweet music. I just don't need to hear it full blast.

Bingo. I know growing up all my cars were obnoxiously loud :) I liked it at the time, but crazy exhausts are just too annoying now. It's been my experience that no matter how loud the bike is it doesn't make a darn bit of difference to drivers, they still don't have a clue you're there. And the loud pipes aren't worth the glares you get from random passerby.

I would rather keep my life. So loud pipes save lives. The stupid shitheads can't see you cuz there driving in the back seat. Well there Damn well gonna hear me! The damage is done like you said 3% isn't going to change shit. Both my harleys and xs's have drags and that the way they will stay. Im guess my Shovelhead is some where in the 200 db range:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Like I wrote in my post, "The argument is no longer about loud pipes saving lives. Like it or not the argument has become about loud pipes killing motorcycles."

Until you are able to understand what the argument is really about you'll not be able to understand the problem. The cagers don't care if you live or die as long as you do so quietly.

When those turds in their big ass, smoky stacked, picking up hillbilly, redneck girls with no teeth quit gunning those crap ass dodge trucks that they never use to haul crap while blowing up down the road, I'll get mufflers.
Every day I see some stacked truck flying down the road trying to play "outlaw" or some crappy Honda car with a giant can on the muffler "vrrrzzzzing" along with a wing on the back (Do these idiots realize a wing does nothing for a front-wheel drive car).
Here's my thing. Why in the hell do you need a car that can go 180mph when the speed limit is only 65??
Why not outlaw them???

Pointing fingers at idiots does nothing to solve our problem.

If they outlaw motorcycle, which they will never do, I will pull out my '89 KX500 and drive it right up there BMW humping asses.

Never is a huge assumption. Three wheeled ATVs were outlawed. So were lawn darts.

Are they going to outlaw 2-stroke boat engines??? NO!!

Have you seen the new 4 stroke weed eaters? I have one. The Federal government has already stopped production and importation of new 2 Cycle engines and is phasing them out over a series of several years. That said, a number of importers are claiming to have more 2 strokes in stock than they actually have in stock to get around the ban.

I read a report from the AMA that said they are going to outlaw lead because some dirt bikes have lead in certain parts and it can cause brain damage. Do you honestly think they are going to outlaw lead? Seriously.

Actually the lead ban was for children's toys and the problem was that some motorcycles were built for children. An exception was eventually made for children's motorcycles but lead is still banned in other children's toys.

Many states have already banned new lead wheel weights for balancing tires, lead in shotgun shells, fishing weights and BBs. Lead in gasoline and lead paints have been banned for many years. So yes, at least a partial lead ban can and has already been made law.

I have drag pipes, but as Capt Zoom suggests, I tame them in areas that I know it will bother someone.

Sadly, too many riders are apparently too stupid to know when and where they will be bothering others.

Last edited:
When I was 14 years old I bought my first motorcycle with a little help from my dad. It was a Honda 150. The first thing I did was to remove the mufflers and replace them with vacuum cleaner extensions. All of a sudden I was one of the "wild ones", riding a "race bike". I got tickets for that and soon out grew the need to be a noisy little brat. On the other hand, my Honda ST 1100 is just too quiet. So 50 years later I've decided that it's more about the tone than the volume. A well tuned engine can make sweet music. I just don't need to hear it full blast.

Most of us have owned and grew out of loud pipes just as you have. I'll take tone over volume any day.

Look, I'm not going to argue. They are not going to do it. They haven't outlawed cigarettes because of the power and money involved. They haven't outlawed guns either. I'm a life member of the NRA and AMA. I get so many emails and junk mail everyday about some new legislatiuon or law. Maybe they should spend the money on fighting these legislative items instead of mailing junk to me. I really doubt H-D and other motorcycle companies are going to sit by and let this happen.
And honestly, I don't care if they do pass it. Let them. I'll still ride, just like all the others.

Tell you what. I'm done arguing. Lost cause.
They try to pass crazy legislation everyday. That's why these associations, such as the NRA, pay their lobbyists a ton of money.

Last edited:
I like exhaust a bit louder than stock. Open straight pipes are just too loud. As it has been said loud pipes don't save lives. Driver training does.
I have a loud horn on my bikes. 113 dbs on one. They hurt my ears but I can be heard without trouble.
Scares the cagers. Most don't like the feeling of an 18 wheeler running them over.
Leo

Bill, you are right about arguing the point. With that said, and the legislature the way it is, our ELECTED officials are going way too far with all this bullshit. Sure, lead ban is a kinda good thing, it helped make big money companies responsible for their product's. DDT, that extremely environmentally friendly pesticide, was banned what, 50 years ago? Note the pun, intended. Sure, some thing's like lead and asbestos should be regulated, even noise, but to tell ME that I can not modify my motorcycle or whatever, well, that's just down right Fascism. World war 2 was fought because some ass wanted to control all aspect's of every one's life. I am a combat veteran of several conflicts, and this is NOT what I fought for. The message sent should be one of respect for other's, as noise goes, I, too, am guilty of running around with open headers at 03:00, now it's keeping within other's RIGHT to sleep at nite. So I do the lower rpm's so as not to disturb my neighbors. And they are greatfull for it. It just piss' me off on politition's want to take away my freedom's, that I have earned. As we ALL have.

Back