Mailman’s new garage, it’s finally done!

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys, so this will be the first post in what will be an ongoing thread. Anyone who has read my threads knows just how much I LOVE MY GARAGE!! For 29 years, darn near half my life, this was MY hangout.
I have worked on cars, bicycles, motorcycles, and carpentry projects out there for years on end. My garage door is always up and the sound of blues and classic rock music can be heard drifting out. My three kids grew up and moved out, one came back and got married in our backyard, later came grandkids playing out in the garage, while I worked on my motorcycles. My hair went from being full and dark brown to thin and grey, and the whole time, the one constant in my life was how happy I was when I was working out in my garage. It even got me through cancer, fourteen years ago, I had just recently bought a 1977 BMW R/100 ( my first vintage motorcycle) , that I hadn’t started to restore yet, and during my recovery, long before I was well enough to return to work, I was out in my shop rebuilding carburetors. It was the best therapy in the world and at the time, it was the only thing that could take my mind off things.
So, why the heck am I leaving? Our kids our grown and gone, we’re moving to a smaller house, and going from a two story to a single, and my wife has never had the experience of shopping for and picking out a house. I already had this house when we met, so this is my gift to her. She is thrilled!
For me? I have a new garage attached to her house that I have to set up from scratch.
For the uninitiated, this is the garage I’m leaving.
E0393EE5-1C8E-4655-9FAD-CD740F505EF6.jpeg

6C31B54E-0F46-4040-B936-79224AD7DA48.jpeg

180BE873-E4F3-4B2A-9E92-F8E15F372DCD.jpeg

Here is how it looks right now, everything is in boxes and tubs ready to go.
A7A9F99E-2CD2-4266-B959-5A5703B6C9E0.jpeg

Here is the blank space I am moving into. I will be taking down the rickety shelves, having cabinets built, new pegboard going up, gotta put up additional lights, I’m going to put in a sink out here also. All kinds of organizing will be involved. Unfortunately, I had hoped to have a week to work on my new space before moving in, but it didn’t work out that way. I will be moving in, before having the opportunity to do anything at all. The first thing that I will do is slap up some fresh paint and evict the spiders!
D1E44268-E062-4B43-BFD9-D7653402B906.jpeg

We got the keys today and the very first thing I did was move my 77 over there and some of my XS2 parts.
725F6368-C127-42B5-BEE4-99E598504C8B.jpeg

TOMORROW IS MOVING DAY!!!
I hope to get set up as quickly as possible, but I’m sure I’ll have to spend some time helping my wife with some of her projects. So watch this space! More to come! :cool: See you soon!
—Bob
5B5277A6-432E-425E-8EF9-0D5F9FDA92D8.jpeg

Hey that's awesome Bob. Nice the day has finally come, and you can get it over with and get on with it.

Will look forward to watching the creation of the new 'Mailman Cave.'

Good luck with your move!

Ah, a blank canvas!

You have the advantage of having lived with a garage. I'm still in my very first (and in all likelihood, last) garage. There are SO many things I'd do differently if I had a chance to do it over.

Ahh yes, but you my friend have a TRACTOR!!! Oh the fun I could have with that! To a boy with a tractor....all the world is a field!

Hey that's awesome Bob. Nice the day has finally come, and you can get it over with and get on with it.

Will look forward to watching the creation of the new 'Mailman Cave.'

Good luck with your move!

Thanks Robin! I’m pretty excited to be finally moving! I can’t wait to get back to work on my XS2. In my new Mailman Cave! Haha

The first thing that I will do is slap up some fresh paint and evict the spiders!
Smart. Use a quality semi-gloss on the walls and ceiling to discourage the spiders. A lot of builders use the cheapest possible flat paint and the spiders love it.
Much easier to keep clean too...

Ahh yes, but you my friend have a TRACTOR!!! Oh the fun I could have with that! To a boy with a tractor....all the world is a field!

That's true. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the man cave I have, I just wish I'd had the sense to insulate and finish the walls and ceiling so I could heat it. I spend a LOT of time out there, especially in the Winter.

This week's project is general maintenance and corrosion control on my 5 foot snow blower:

sbo1.jpg

sbo2.jpg

sbo3.jpg

Ohboy, new mancave!
I don't see much in the way of power outlets.
Installed 7 in my barn, still not enuff.

What becomes of your TV antennae project?
http://www.xs650.com/threads/cutting-the-cable-tv-cable-that-is.51380/

ONE! One lousy electrical outlet in the whole garage! Who designed that? He should be smacked with a wet fish! That is already in my wish list.

As for my cut the cable plan. All my hard work on that became a gift for the new occupants.
The antennae stays with the house. It works beautifully too!

Hey Bob, congrats on the wife's new abode with your very own room. As far as outlets, I installed a 'crappy' Harbor Freight extension cord reel next to garage opener. It has a 25' cord that reaches all parts of my 22' X 22' garage. Just a thought.

Attachments

• extention cord.jpg
    extention cord.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 148
It has a 25' cord that reaches all parts of my 22' X 22' garage. Just a thought
Good thinkin', Mr. B.
Prior planning for power outlets is so essential.
I recently reconfigured mine, and utilizing a few power strips, I now have room for (41) 110v inputs and (2) 220 inputs.
Got some unused outlets, but can a guy actually overdo the electrical outlet thing ? :)

Hi Bob,
our recent move swapped my heated double garage for an unheated long skinny single.
At least it has four 110V and one 220V power outlets plus a 10' up & over door at both ends.
Which is weird because the rear door opens onto a really beautiful flower garden. WTF, eh?
However, for me to be truly envious, what are the dimensions of your new garage and did you take a downsize?
About shop power, install a new fuse panel and avoid ripping out the gyprock by using surface mount outlets with the wiring in EMT.
Think about putting interlocking rubber tiles on the floor, they ain't cheap but neither is 2-part epoxy floor paint and you won't need a
breathing mask to put tiles down.
And you can install tiles after the garage stuff is in place by moving things,so long as you don't bolt nothin' down.

Well the move went smoothly. I think I scared the movers, I gathered all of them around my XS2 motor and told them , I care more about this than anything in the house, and I stressed how easy it would be to damage it. I think they used more moving blankets on my motor than my wife’s dining table! :laugh2: And all my painted parts? Fuggeta bout it! I moved those myself.By afternoon we were at least in the house, but living outa boxes right now and driving me crazy. We have much to do to set up house, then it’s MY TURN! yeah buddy!
Hey Bob,

I'm excited for ya, with your new opportunity to put together a garage you'll be working in so much.
I'll be interested in what sorta Garage Art you go with. Bringing in the same art? Or going to freshen up the museum?

Thanks Dude! Yeah I’m chomping to get at it. As for my “art” , I brought it but haven’t decided yet. I’ll have to see as it comes together.

Wait a minute mailman, The new cave looks smaller! that can't be good?

Hey Dave, good observation. It’s not so much smaller as just different. My old garage space was square, the new is rectangular, and the furnace and water heater are layed out differently. The space is roughly equal.

Hey Bob, congrats on the wife's new abode with your very own room. As far as outlets, I installed a 'crappy' Harbor Freight extension cord reel next to garage opener. It has a 25' cord that reaches all parts of my 22' X 22' garage. Just a thought.

I like that! I may do just that. Thanks! I’m also thinking about adding a long multi plug strip , something like this.
78ECD789-923D-4BA4-A498-3AE6254CA721.png

I’m also thinking about painting my pegboard.
Maybe grey or red, whadya think?
8FEC385B-673A-4937-963B-3E0B726AFADB.jpeg
7B7595E7-E1B8-4ED8-8507-79071718F884.jpeg

Hi Bob,
our recent move swapped my heated double garage for an unheated long skinny single.
At least it has four 110V and one 220V power outlets plus a 10' up & over door at both ends.
Which is weird because the rear door opens onto a really beautiful flower garden. WTF, eh?
However, for me to be truly envious, what are the dimensions of your new garage and did you take a downsize?
About shop power, install a new fuse panel and avoid ripping out the gyprock by using surface mount outlets with the wiring in EMT.
Think about putting interlocking rubber tiles on the floor, they ain't cheap but neither is 2-part epoxy floor paint and you won't need a
breathing mask to put tiles down.
And you can install tiles after the garage stuff is in place by moving things,so long as you don't bolt nothin' down.

Those are some good ideas Fred, Thanks!
I kinda like those long double garages with doors on both ends, you get good air flow through them. The house is a downsize, but he garage is very close in size to the one I had. I don’t have my measurements handy, but I believe the dimensions were 20’ wide x 22’ long. Should be plenty for my needs.

Back