Mailman’s new garage, it’s finally done!

My father made some suspension shelving that went above the garage door. Put that space to good use...

You know that’s a good idea! Space is at a premium for me at the new place. Something like this?
2D9A7CEA-4BF9-484B-AE5F-DC03B8B6F0B9.jpeg

The only thing you need to concerned about when hanging shelfs like that is the construction of the trusses. If the length of the shelf follows one truss and you overweight it you can twist that truss into failure. More than likely the truss is made from 2x4 and is only for so much weight.

Last edited:
Gotta watch out for those snow loads........ :wink2: :laugh:.
round here ag buildings are allowed lighter construction, snow load, building collapse happens. I've shoveled snow off a lot of roofs........... Shoveling on slippery metal roofs, what could go wrong? The shed of ill repute has a lot of rafter hanging going on.
97Dakota 029.JPG
Find centers DRILL pilot holes, then bolt into rafters. I'd suggest 1/4" lags for shelving, don't like the angle brackets in mailmans found pic above. That's a kludge use of angle brackets. (is there any other kind?)

For your consideration. This is what i use to support the shelf. The threaded sammy will accept a 3/8 rod and will hold 700 Lbs or more. View attachment 126907View attachment 126908View attachment 126909

Hi cra-z1,
neat shelving but "sammy?"
Whatever it's called that fastener's strength limit depends on a woodscrew in tension.
700+ lbs screwed into seasoned oak, perhaps. Screwed into softwood, mebbe not.
Mr. Belt'n'braces would use two of them bridged together.

Perhaps the magnitude of Mailman’s typical snow load is lower than that of many other locales....;), but that application of angle brackets does look a bit winky.

Having said that, I do like those threaded rod “Sammy’s” - never seen one in the flesh around here though.

Sorry haven't resized. Just copied past
raftershelving-jpg.126950

Depends on if weather that part of the roof is a gable end or not If yes the rafters would be running that way. If the roof sloped to the door with a gutter running across the door the rafters would be running the other way to a girder truss..........

Also have to take into account that ceiling battens run the opposite parallel to the rafters..........Always Leary of putting extra weight on ceiling batters and try to get into the ceiling so i can strengthen the area where extra weight is applied. Run an piece of timber along the side of a rafter using batten screws. .................If directly to a rafter i would try to spread the weight by running a full length of timber across the ceiling under the rafters and then fix the shelving to that. Although i haven't seen a screw pull out of the bottom cord of a rater. i have seen them split where the screw goes in, if they aren't pre driller a couple of sizes smaller than the screw, because the bottom cord is so thin, Especially if the truss is hardwood...... Pine is used over here quite a bit thee days

Ceiling batters may be a foreign concept in certain parts of the states............what we do is run a set of battens attached to the underside of the rafter and this we fix the lining to........Often the rafters are not level so the batters are fixed and leveled before we lay the ceiling

Last edited:
Hi cra-z1,
neat shelving but "sammy?"
Whatever it's called that fastener's strength limit depends on a woodscrew in tension.
700+ lbs screwed into seasoned oak, perhaps. Screwed into softwood, mebbe not.
Mr. Belt'n'braces would use two of them bridged together.

Take a look at these pull out figures for fir. I feel safe using this method. We used Sammeys in the HVAC field all the time to hang heat pumps.
http://fastening-solutions.itwbuild...rs-3-8-/sammys-3-8-swivel-threaded-rod-anchor

The only thing you need to concerned about when hanging shelfs like that is the construction of the trusses. If the length of the shelf follows one truss and you overweight it you can twist that truss into failure. More than likely the truss is made from 1x4 and is only for so much weight.

I'm thinking you made a typo in that post I believe you meant the trusses were made of 2X4's.

But yes, would pay to spread load over several trusses!

Ok guys, so this will be the first post in what will be an ongoing thread. Anyone who has read my threads knows just how much I LOVE MY GARAGE!! For 29 years, darn near half my life, this was MY hangout.
I have worked on cars, bicycles, motorcycles, and carpentry projects out there for years on end. My garage door is always up and the sound of blues and classic rock music can be heard drifting out. My three kids grew up and moved out, one came back and got married in our backyard, later came grandkids playing out in the garage, while I worked on my motorcycles. My hair went from being full and dark brown to thin and grey, and the whole time, the one constant in my life was how happy I was when I was working out in my garage. It even got me through cancer, fourteen years ago, I had just recently bought a 1977 BMW R/100 ( my first vintage motorcycle) , that I hadn’t started to restore yet, and during my recovery, long before I was well enough to return to work, I was out in my shop rebuilding carburetors. It was the best therapy in the world and at the time, it was the only thing that could take my mind off things.
So, why the heck am I leaving? Our kids our grown and gone, we’re moving to a smaller house, and going from a two story to a single, and my wife has never had the experience of shopping for and picking out a house. I already had this house when we met, so this is my gift to her. She is thrilled!
For me? I have a new garage attached to her house that I have to set up from scratch.
For the uninitiated, this is the garage I’m leaving.
View attachment 126380
View attachment 126386
View attachment 126381

Here is how it looks right now, everything is in boxes and tubs ready to go.
View attachment 126382

Here is the blank space I am moving into. I will be taking down the rickety shelves, having cabinets built, new pegboard going up, gotta put up additional lights, I’m going to put in a sink out here also. All kinds of organizing will be involved. Unfortunately, I had hoped to have a week to work on my new space before moving in, but it didn’t work out that way. I will be moving in, before having the opportunity to do anything at all. The first thing that I will do is slap up some fresh paint and evict the spiders!
View attachment 126383

We got the keys today and the very first thing I did was move my 77 over there and some of my XS2 parts.
View attachment 126384

TOMORROW IS MOVING DAY!!!
I hope to get set up as quickly as possible, but I’m sure I’ll have to spend some time helping my wife with some of her projects. So watch this space! More to come! :cool: See you soon!
—Bob
View attachment 126385

Well you guys bring up a lot of good points. I’m nearly certain that the trusses are simply
2x 4’s . I’ve never seen anything else here in Arizona ( and yes Gary and Pete, no worries about snow weight here! :laugh2: ). If I decide to do overhead shelving I would for sure spread the load over several trusses.
Cra-Z1 thanks for that link. I didn’t want to seem dumb by not having heard of a “Sammy”. I didn’t realize it was a brand name.
It looks like a good product. If you can hang air handlers in attics with them, then I’m quite sure they would support a few empty suitcases and ice chests !

By the way, the sink is all plumbed in and works brilliantly, however the plumber only makes huge holes in drywall, he doesn’t repair them, so I have to do a little Sheetrock repair.
And just between us guys.....the Mrs is enjoying having storage shelves for herself out in MY GARAGE just a little too much! I’m going to have to nip that in the bud. It’s a slippery slope. :eek:
FBE2CD86-07B1-4E2A-938D-46260AE3AB28.gif

Don 't make a big deal out of it.........Just casually stroll into the bedroom one night with your XS2 Petrol tank and start to store it on the top shelf of the wardrobe....After the question why inside........"run out of shelf space in the garage dear"......:whistle:.

Have the couch made up first......

Don 't make a big deal out of it.........Just casually stroll into the bedroom one night with your XS2 Petrol tank and start to store it on the top shelf of the wardrobe....After the question why inside........"run out of shelf space in the garage dear"......:whistle:.

Have the couch made up first......

:laughing::laughing::laugh2: Now that’s a good idea!

Back