Mailman’s new garage, it’s finally done!

About shop power, install a new fuse panel and avoid ripping out the gyprock by using surface mount outlets with the wiring in EMT..

I like this as makes doing changes in future easier. Would also include at least two 220 outlets. One for a stove to be used to heat things and another for welder or larger air compressor.

- - - I kinda like those long double garages with doors on both ends, you get good air flow through them. The house is a downsize, but he garage is very close in size to the one I had. I don’t have my measurements handy, but I believe the dimensions were 20’ wide x 22’ long. Should be plenty for my needs.

Hi Bob,
winter working (October thru May) in a garage in the Canadian Prairies don't need good airflow, it needs HEAT.
Which my new garage won't have as it's construction makes an insulation retrofit eff nigh impossible which means
that the 10,000 BTU from my portable propane heater will just try to warm up the locality rather than keep my
fingers from freezing off.
My old heated insulated garage is 20' x 20' with an RSJ that held the bedrooms up for a lifting beam.
My new freeze chamber is 23' x 12'-6" which drops me from 400 sq. ft. to 287.5 sq. ft.
OTOH the new garage height is 10' to the rafters vs the old garage's 8' to the ceiling for a volume of
2,875 cu. ft. vs 3,200 cu. ft. Which shows either that I've lost very little or that statistics mean nothing.

Well we moved in a couple days ago and after moving furniture around to her liking, I left her to sorting out the inside of the house and I got started in my garage. I’m still up to my eyeballs in moving boxes and space is really cramped.
5284777D-465F-4D4A-B976-4760E7D2A9FF.jpeg

Some of those boxes are inside things, but most will have to go in the garage, so I need storage space and organization PRONTO!
When we were moving in, these garage shelves were already in place, so I thought, I’ll put my most prized possessions up on those , safely out of harms way.
70F64F7D-D978-4F09-A6CF-A56D82E29E3B.jpeg

Well today I cleared those shelves off and dismantled them so I could paint the walls. I’m not going to use them in that location anyways, but I saved them for possible use elsewhere.
413CCD28-9A23-4788-BEA1-54DCBCB770F2.jpeg

What I didn’t realize was that , those shelves , that I had my prized possessions on were just about ready to fall under their own weight. They are made by closet maid and all the mounting points are just plastic Sheetrock anchors. Most weren’t solid anymore and the whole mess was just kinda floating there. This was compounded by the fact that the shelves were very large and deep, and the previous owner had obviously put heavy stuff on the shelves.
I will be replacing all that with wood cabinets, supplemented with some steel shelves and wall organizers.
I bought one steel shelving unit today and some wall track hanging organizers. I’ll probably add another steel shelves later.
When I pulled down all that shelving and removed all the wallowed out plastic wall anchors, the wall looked like Bonnie and Clyde’s last stand, riddled with bullet holes.
B00D7B4F-201D-4E13-9098-2C05EBDC9143.jpeg

So off to the hardware store I went to get some DAP spackling to fill holes with. Forty minutes later I’m back home and I pry the lid off to get started.....and it’s dried out, like dry play dough. So back to the hardware store I go.
Back home and got all the holes filled , ready to paint.
058CC0DE-86E7-4C5D-A49B-E95C153BE10D.jpeg

Now....where did I put my brushes and rollers?
003E1619-3C91-4F68-9A78-D79B5E32CF8D.gif
Oh yeah......in one of those 80 boxes over there!

Hi Mailman: just catching up here. I must say, there are few things I’d enjoy more that re-doing my shop. I like the ideas the other folks have contributed:
  • Tile floors - nice and tidy;
  • Long electrical bars + overhead cord reel - practical & handy;
  • Shop sink - a brilliant & useful addition;
  • BEvERage fridge - need I say more?
  • Garage art - always worthwhile;
  • Sturdy shelving and cupboards - vital for an organized chap like you;
  • Painted pegboard - very smart;
....but, one of my top priorities is good lighting. I’d go for a set of 48” LEDs and one of those nifty LED / Bluetooth speaker combos over the bench. I got mine at H-D in Detroit for, I think about $50 USD (currently that is around $4235 CDN).

Have at it and enjoy!

Pete

PS: there are at least two beautiful XS-2s at the VYR. That slim red & white tank looks so smart!

Last edited:
Me.... I'd just drive back to the store and buy more....:rolleyes:
That's how you wind up with, like seventeen tape measures, or whatever. "Why do you have so many ________?" Because I couldn't find the darned thing, was tired of wasting time looking for it, and went out and got another one! Me? I'd get a lot more done, if I didn't spend so much time looking for stuff, and I'm fairly organized. Well maybe not that much... :doh: :banghead: :cussing:

That's how you wind up with, like seventeen tape measures, or whatever. "Why do you have so many ________?" Because I couldn't find the darned thing, was tired of wasting time looking for it, and went out and got another one! Me? I'd get a lot more done, if I didn't spend so much time looking for stuff, and I'm fairly organized. Well maybe not that much... :doh: :banghead: :cussing:

Hi Tebo,
me too with the measuring tapes.
Not 17 though, mebbe 7 or 8 although the only two I can usually find are the Metric only or the one that has it's first 3" burned black
after an unfortunate incident with a propane torch. (And yes, I know I should throw them both away but my inner cheapskate won't let me.)
Also why, with 3 sets of Metric combination wrenches, can I never find a 10mm?

That shelving you took down can be solid if you mount it to the studs in the wall. I have that type in several spots and it's solid because it's mounted correctly. This is why we have and need building inspectors, lol. Many people have no clue how to build things properly.

I like (and use) peg board but I also like areas of just solid wood I can "custom" hang stuff from with nails or screw-in hooks.

I really like having stuff on rollers/casters. My blast cabinet, solvent tank, tool cabinets, etc. are all mounted so easy to position and easy to clean under and behind. I use an old gas BBQ frame with a wooden top as a rolling worktop.

- - - I use an old gas BBQ frame with a wooden top as a rolling worktop.

Hi 'Guy,
thanks for that idea.
You just saved the bottom half of my dead BBQ from a ride to the scrap metal recycle depot.
And provided a use for that part sheet of 5/8" plywood that I was sure would come in handy one day.

OK but be warned it will be another horizontal surface which will soon be covered in stuff-to-do :)
View attachment 126792

Hi Guy,
agreed, but the repurposed BBQ's limited area and it's movability beat my stuff's current location, which is a heaped up tripplng hazard on the garage floor.

I use an old gas BBQ frame with a wooden top as a rolling worktop.
ThatXs650Guy!!! Yes, you are!! That is abso-freaking-lute genius! People throw those things out all the time! Some strategically placed angle iron (discarded bed frames!) and a couple of plastic tubs for "drawers", and I'll have a service cart, so I'm no longer digging into a canvas tool bag to work on "The Basketcase"! :thumbsup: :rock:

Last edited:
Well I got started working on my new shop over the weekend. The first step was taking down the shelving that was already in here and patching holes in the wall and getting some paint up on the walls.
53C61A0B-7D98-4D7D-A0B2-722D44FBAB15.jpeg

Now to get busy organizing. I’ve always liked track mounted storage systems, a lot of different options out there, but I’m basically a cheap meat and I choke at the prices they want for them. Then I found these at Walmart.
EC6EB080-E693-4929-A8A5-F1F8F650296A.jpeg

Fifteen dollars gets you just what you see here, one section of track and four hooks. I bought four boxes for less than the cost of one box of Gladiator brand track storage. They also sell track by itself for $5 each and assorted hooks, also $5-6 each which is much less than the name brand stuff. I bought several extra hooks, including some specialty hooks for my leaf blower, ladders and hanging extension cords and hoses.
C08538DB-32A5-4054-8436-1B94CFBFA93F.jpeg

It comes with a bag full of long wood screws and drywall anchors and anchors for block walls.
BF1692C9-6252-4B86-9581-FED04E4A864D.jpeg

The track itself is a thick plastic that is not pre drilled.
AD42166C-853F-441D-B2D0-C7F6570F3DEE.jpeg

It all feels very sturdy. First set a level line at the height you want to hang it, then find your wall studs. Hold your track up and mark the stud location on your track. They recommend mounting it directly to the wood studs all across the center of the track and then securing each end with some heavy duty drywall anchors.
0616C85F-ACA8-49E9-9751-261D5FA30011.jpeg

E2D68972-E862-44C3-A8A7-8AE1E0D1A844.jpeg

BED3EBDE-727C-47A8-8BE1-35194CD3031B.jpeg

It holds an amazing amount of stuff and most of the hooks, especially the long ones can hang multiple items each, allowing for a dense amount of storage on your walls.
60531183-1A49-4EFA-A92A-EE10A2B3832F.jpeg

EC88C454-1759-45C9-A907-FC302C0C0E5A.jpeg

Then I moved on to assembling a couple of wire racks, one for me and my garage stuff, and one that my wife asked for to store bulk household items.
8C47E51A-1BAF-407C-8767-C48B134F3341.jpeg

I was suspicious of just how sturdy these would be. I was at first looking at some industrial looking shelving, but be I’ve changed my mind on these, they are a marvel of engineering, they’re strong, can hold a lot of weight and assemble with no tools.
Here you can see my new shop sink in the corner. I have a plumber coming tomorrow to hook it up. I do a lot of my own work, but I draw the line at plumbing. Oh I fix toilets and install faucets and such but for big jobs I pay a pro. Saves a lot of swearing on my part.
890CD854-EDE0-424A-8017-CD016670EC4C.jpeg
3E6A92D9-3657-4AD4-9CF0-901182B6DF4D.jpeg
E7DCD711-9E1C-48EC-BFFC-FC625BDDF4B2.jpeg

So....not looking too bad so far eh? Let’s turn the camera around and look at the other side of the room. :cool:
8FA2E637-983C-4C29-AB31-A3D229C3673E.jpeg
FCC33B16-143D-42D9-9FCC-92DCBC8E24F7.jpeg

Yikes! :yikes: Time to turn and face the new threat!
9F7B1639-BAE6-496E-AD16-270A23C0585A.gif

I’ve got my work cut out for me!
Later Bob :)

Hey Bob i had to get a plumber to hook two hoses up one for fridge water and another for dishwasher and it was such a simple job but a friend said get a plumber to do it as if anything goes wrong and water damage insurance will cover but if I did it myself it could get long and drawn out dealing with insurance companies. I just had many thousands of dollars of wood floors laid so it made sense but i was suprised.
Man cave looks awesome!
Cheers.

Back