Wow, a lot of activity here while I wasn’t looking! Haha!

So....you guys convinced me. I’ll give my original plates a go, with new springs and see how it works!

Also I hadn’t mentioned this yet, but I do intend to update the charging system. I already have in my hot little hands a VR-115 solid state regulator and I have a couple of new solid state rectifiers also, so that’s going in . I would also like to upgrade to an electronic ignition , just because I don’t like fiddling with points.

5Twins that is a good idea! I sanded my rotor face on my ‘77 and it looks scratched, I didn’t care for that outcome.
I will try your polishing idea. I also have new brushes ready to go in when I get to that point.

Here's one of my rings cleaned, the other not, along with a shot of my favorite chrome polish. Been using this stuff since I was a kid .....

GHoeRsM.jpg

ECBC3921-5C97-4EB4-9F2A-F61F0AE9EE73.jpeg

Well I’m 25 days in to this project and I’m proud to report that I have officially finished my first objective. The overhaul of my gauges. Before I re assembled them, I bench tested the movements with a new speedometer cable and my drill set to run in reverse. Everything works and looks smooth. So I put them back together and here are the final results.
DE43C940-FB4C-4AFE-A124-0C1BC3AB6C75.jpeg

9360667A-6ADB-45A7-9D8D-C86654A05A07.jpeg

I am very pleased with the results. Special shout out to 2M for saving my bacon early on in the disassembly phase, you rock brother!

I covered this more in my article on refacing gauges.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-re-face-your-gauges.51706/#post-543616

Oh also the wiring for the two gauges have been cleaned up and new silver wiring sleeves (loom) have been installed. So the gauges are boxed up and done!
Until next time,
Bob

Very nice job on the gauges. That will really make the bike stand out. I bet you cant wait for the paint to come back.

Thanks guys! They came out even better than I’d hoped. And I am really excited to see the paint come back, but boy I’ve got a long way to go before they’ll go back on!

Today I was out in the garage working on my broken switch that I’m trying to rebuild, and up pulls the mailman.
Forum member KsHansen sent me a replacement slide button for the one that was broken on mine, and all the little bits that had fallen out of my old switch.

I had also recently bought a broken switch from Daniel Black that I was able to salvage some springs and tiny ball bearings and screws from. So now I have all of the components that I was missing and I will be able to get my switch reassembled.

Thank You both gentlemen! This is greatly appreciated!
98904944-871B-4FA4-BFA8-84979DB2EA77.jpeg

I’ll put the switch together later, but now I’ve had these carburetors sitting on my bench for two weeks and hadn’t even cracked them open and I was dying to know what’s doin in there....so I started breaking them down. I started with the left one and pulled the bowl off. Have a look.
F92A0559-6B0F-402A-ABA7-5C0EA1B663B6.jpeg

69744F60-9AFF-471C-BE5C-7BAEB1B7B7D0.jpeg

That was just one bowl. It was full of rust and metal flakes. And this was a bike I heard run! I don’t know how he had it running like this!
A couple of other things that were out of whack, a missing o-ring on the needle jet.
57CD78A2-5A3E-4774-A6A6-C64E7E4ACC5D.jpeg

Where did it go? That jet was good and stuck in there. Also see anything wrong with this choke assembly?
39B891FE-EFC8-4B50-96D4-FFF5CBBA4472.jpeg
7D474489-8540-4C6E-8A1F-A5094573DF3A.jpeg

That’s just the way it was on the carb, I didn’t move it.

But here’s where I got stuck, quite literally. I cannot for the life of me break the butterfly screws loose. They are staked really good. In fact it even looked like they staked the heads.
77345D08-ABC2-4643-9786-E03891FBE031.jpeg
4A002C26-A25E-4049-B54B-C2B568B860B8.jpeg

On my last build I made me one of these carb sticks so I can mount the carb on it and apply great pressure directly on the screw heads while having the throttle shafts supported. Credit for this stick goes to Gary!
01BA8DE4-3C96-418F-B8AE-782C74917C0C.jpeg
1A8F879B-957B-4475-95C7-EE2BC21AD38F.jpeg

I’ll need to spend some quality time on this part.
Found some good info here.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-tips-and-tricks-1st-throttle-shaft-butterfly-screw-removal.46423/

Last edited:
Need to grind off the back of the screw where they have spread it. The boys have sourced these screws so they are available

Is the complete disassembly of the carb necessary?/

Need to grind off the back of the screw where they have spread it. The boys have sourced these screws so they are available

Is the complete disassembly of the carb necessary?/

Ha! You’re too fast Skull. I was just editing my post because I did some research and found the info I needed.
As far as , is it really necessary? I would just like to break everything down and inspect it, and really clean everything well. I will probably replace the butterfly shaft seals while I’m at it.

Skull mailman lives in a VERY hot and often dry climate old rubber is usually dust or rock hard.

I’m amazed at that carb bowl - no cottage cheese at all!

Last edited:
Bob, how would you check to see if the throttle shafts are straight and true?

Uh oh! I feel like the kid that sits in the back of the classroom and I just got called on by the teacher! :umm:
Truthfully I never thought about it much. I never realized that they had variances, and im not sure how you would correct any.

On early carbs in a sandy area, bushing wear would be my first worry 'specially the throttle arm side....
I see what 2MK is getting at though. I'm guessing someone else tried to remove the screws, burred the phillips trying, then staked them back into shape. No telling what force was applied to poor unsupported brass throttle shafts doing that. :yikes:
Not having nightmares (yet)? Don't worry I can help.....

Haha! This bike is taking me to school all over again. I never really appreciated just how many differences there were on the early bikes.
And I kinda scoffed at the difficulty in sourcing parts.
The light bulb is going on, it’s still kinda dim though.

Well its been fun watching your progress. Brings back some nightmares I had though. Good job.If I recall my screws came out easy on my 72 carbs. Great idea on that wood helper stick thing.

Back