Maximum width tires for a XS

72XS2

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

what is the maximum width that you can use for front and rear tire on a XS with stock front end and rear swingarm.

We can't use hardtail frame here so I'm looking for other options. I wanted to go with a wide hardtail and a 180 rear tire but I can't. The laws in Quebec don't allow to use hardtail frame. I never see a bike with a wide swingarm on a XS. It must be a lot of work to get it done.

Really? learn something new every day...

i presume it doesn't apply to OEM hard tails, or a lot of vintage bikers are going to be pissed. (more than they are already)

Just gave a quick glance at the SAAQ, and there doesn't seem to be anything prohibiting hardtails, though the wording about prohibited modifications may be where issues lie:
"Using springs that have been shortened, bundled or heated to deformity. It is also prohibited to have a suspension that is too rigid, an insufficient wheelbase, tires that touch a vehicle component or having any part of the vehicle body touch the road surface in a normal driving situation."

since motorcycles are considered passenger vehicles here, it may be an issue, but what determines "too rigid"? the number of hard-tailed bikes on the roads seems to indicate that it is an acceptable amount of rigidity....

can't go and buy a hard-tailed frame either, since registrations are by frame, here...

anyways, off topic a bit.

Last edited:
If the bike came with a hardtail frame from the factory, it's ok. So, it has to be an old bike. I don't think that many bikes came with an hardtail frame since the 50's. I give a call to Rolling Thunder (they are frame builder in Quebec). They build all kind of frame including rigid frame and they said that their frame are not legal in Quebec.

I am not sure on the front. The chain will slap a 140 tire if the chain is loose. There is about 1/4" of room with a 130 and about 1/8-1/16 with a 140.

- there are lots of options for lighter, stronger and wider swingarms...the wider you go however, the more problems with chain line and clearances youll have, offset front sprockets will help and there are spacer kits available for the left crankcase to help...before doing this it would probably pay to talk to your vehicle inspectors, take photos and documentation to strengthen your arguement...here in europe, except for holland, we have pretty draconian rules concerning modifications. you soon learn to present good arguements for your modifications

- richard pollock-aka mule-had some radian swingarms for sale here in the classified section

Really? learn something new every day...

i presume it doesn't apply to OEM hard tails, or a lot of vintage bikers are going to be pissed. (more than they are already)

Just gave a quick glance at the SAAQ, and there doesn't seem to be anything prohibiting hardtails, ...

Believe me, I speak to a guy from SAAQ on phone and he tell me that hardtail are illegal here. He said that it's unstable and it can be dangerous at high speed. I told him that I don't want to build a race bike but he keeps telling that it's against the law without more explications. Oh, he also said to me that it wasn't comfortable. I answered him that if I want to have my a** kick on my bike, it's my problem but I think that he didn't like it :D.

Last edited:
- stock wheels..
...front 1.85 x 19...90-90x19 max limit for the rim
..........2.15 x 19...100-90x19 max rim...this size was available in europe for the C model
...rear 2.15 x 18...110-90x19 max rim
..........3.00 x 16...130-80x16 without overdoing the chain clearances

Avon venom 140 rear fit, they do seam to be a bit more rounded and narrow than other tyres, though they should all be the same size, but it is a very tight fit only a couple of mm both sides, and I don't think you could fit a standard chain guard.

Believe me, I speak to a guy from SAAQ on phone and he tell me that hardtail are illegal here. He said that it's unstable and it can be dangerous at high speed. I told him that I don't to build a race bike but he keeps telling that it's against the law without more explications. Oh, he also said to me that it wasn't comfortable. I answered him that if I want to have my a** kick on my bike, it's my problem but I think that he didn't like it :D.

I'm just waiting for them to make bikes illegal. They seem to be doing a good job of making it prohibitively expensive already, when they should be encouraging motorcycles over cars to begin with.

Sigh. Oh well.

You can change the swingarm and go all the way up to a 200 if you want with a 200 kit. I have done 160 on a GS1100 swingarm with a 4" stretch. Here are just a couple ideas for you. GPZ 550 swingarm and GPZ 1100. I made two with the GPZ mono and sold one complete bike for some big bucks and when i put it out there everyone dodn't like it two years later everyone is doing it. I guess i was just a little a head of the game.I can only get one picture up so if you want some pictures email me at RGrant51@aol.com and i will give you some ideas on using swingarms from other bikes to a XS 650 frame.

Attachments

• cafe1.JPG
    cafe1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 411
What type of riding you do will determine your tires. The xs650 Standard was a British copy and should use the thinner tires like the Brit bikes. This is what helped the older Brit bikes handle.

Back