MIG aluminum welding

daroberts3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible to weld aluminum with a MIG welder? Can I just change out my spool of wire for some other type that will work with aluminum? Can I use 75-25 argon as shielding gas still? Will the results be worth the effort?

Yes, you can MIG weld aluminum. But...

1) for aluminum, you must use MUCH higher amps (aluminum conducts the heat away from the weld area fast)
2) you need to feed the wire much faster. usually, you get a "spool gun" to deliver the wire - it spins faster than your normal mig wire feeder. You can still try it by just turning your normal wire feeder up fast as it goes.
3) you'll need thicker wire too than for steel.
4) normal backing gas is OK.

ultimately, TIG is better for aluminum than MIG, but MIG can work. practice first!

Is it possible to weld aluminum with a MIG welder? Can I just change out my spool of wire for some other type that will work with aluminum? Can I use 75-25 argon as shielding gas still? Will the results be worth the effort?

The 75-25 your currently using is more than likely 75%-Argon/25%-Co2. That is exactly what you want to weld mild-steel and, nothing else.

The Co2 in this mix "WILL" absolutly cause porosity when you weld aluminum. In laymen terms it will pretty much blow-up when you try to srike an arc.

As far as gas is concerned when welding aluminum MIG/TIG can be considered identicle. By that I mean to ONLY use PURE argon.

Now these guys are "TELLING" you to get a spool gun without explaning WHY. Aluminum is soft as shit. YOU know this I'm shure. That liner that connects the power source to the mig gun is usually about 10" in length.

Lets say you just throw in an aluminum spool. The spool is fed to the drive rollers. The drive rollers push the wire through that +/-10" liner and into the mig gun and then the contact tip.

If sized right for the wire-size your using, the contact tip will create enough resistance that the Aluminum wire will coil up inside the liner to the point you'll end up with a birdnest. Anyone that has MIG welded before will have fuked-up at some piont and welded the wire to the contact tip and kept holding the trigger down. Then you flip up the side cover on the power source where the wire spool is, to find a nice little bird nest of wasted wire.

The reason for the "SPOOL-GUN" is that it shortens the distance between wire-spool and drive-roller to contact tip to a few inches. They use a small +/- 1lbs wire roll. There are also stainless and mild-steel rolls that will fit in a spool-gun.

If you were MIG/TIG welding overhead you could use a Argon/Helium Mix because the helium, being lighter than air will help with shielding. Also a helium mix will "BURN" hotter than pure argon and could be paired up with a low power machine to increase output. But seriously dont even try this unless you have the money to experiment.

Welding is one of those things where you just have to try all kinds of setups on scrap or non-critical parts, along with some decent research and talking with other welders untill you find out what really works.

daroberts3 To directly directly answer your question, fuck yeah you can MIG weld aluminum. Use a Pure argon mix and a spool gun.

As has already been said, you're going to need a spool stinger and pure argon. Nothing else will give you results you're looking for. From my experience mig is nowhere near as clean a weld as tig for aluminum, but it gets the job done, and if you dont have access to a tig, its still your best bet for the money. Those spools aren't cheap though, so consider how much aluminum you plan on welding before you shell out the cash.

Renegade - thanks for the detailed straight forward answers!
Sounds to me like an expensive ordeal to get my Millermatic 250 set up for aluminum. New spool gun and spool, and a different bottle. Gonna have to weigh out the expense verses just borowing or renting a TIG set up. Although, it would be a great service for my shop to be able to weld aluminum......

you might also check that the 250 is large enough to weld the thickness of aluminum that you plan to weld - check w/your local miller guy. Same thing if you get a TIG, it does take more amps than steel welding.

If you need to weld aluminum, and you don't want to spend a lot of cash use a torch and gas weld it. It's kind of fun to do, and with a little practice it's pretty easy. I welded a lot of parts for use on SCCA race cars, never had a failure. It's an alternative worth investigating, especially if money is tight.

Good luck,

DLD1

There is a product called Fuse from Vibrant that you can use to weld aluminum with a hand torch. I have been shown castings with broken mounting tabs which have been repaired with the stuff. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to weld. I'm posting from my iPhone, so I'll find the link to the site and post it here.

The Fuse Wire. Weld without welding

You can check out the same question that I posted a few weeks ago. I was able to weld aluminum and the only thing that needed to be changed was the gas. I fed the wire all the way through the line, after it was cleaned. Make sure you have separate tools and grinders for the aluminum. WARNING: If you haven’t welded aluminum before it needs a lot of heat so you may want to pre-heat if it’s a thick part and the part will stay hot for a very long time. The weld is extremely bright as well. Like watching magnesium burn.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22259&highlight=weld+aluminum

All you need is aluminum rod with flux. You can get them seperately or rod with flux adhered to it. I prefer the rod with the flux attached to it, it's just less messy. It shouls be available at any welding supply house. Beware of some of the low temp aluminum brazing products. They are great for repairing something like a cracked float bowl, but not good enough for anything even remotely structural.
Keep in mind when you're gas welding aluminum, it doesn't change colors as it heats like steel does. You have to watch the surface texture for change, and be ready to move fast when you start the weld. Be sure and get some scraps to practice on. I really do think it's fun to do, and cheap is always good, right?

Good luck,

DLD1

Back