Molasses, rust removal

Purplezinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have some parts with light (surface) rust and some parts with serious rust. Looking for information on the correct way to use molasses. Sulfured/unsulfured? Molasses from the breakfast aisle or molasses from the farm feed store? Or does it make a difference? What is the correct ratio of molasses to water? Solution heated or unheated? At present I'm soaking the light rusted parts in about a 10% mix (10% molasses, 90% water). They've been soaking 3 days and so far I see no difference. The rust appears unchanged. Any suggestions?

Vinegar. Warm it to around 160 degrees and it works faster. That's Mr. Coffee temps. Don't boil if you elect to heat. Most people just let it set 2-3 days and do it's thing.

Only used the molasses for biscuit dressing.

Sugar is corrosive to steel. Molasses is a partially refined form of it so...

I used Molasses and had good results. You have to use the feed grade stuff from the farm store. I did 1 part malasses and 10 parts water then I just let it sit for a week or so. I like it because its easy to dispose of and it gets everywhere as opposed to electrolysis which only does line of sight. I used it on my gas tank and it didn't get all the rust out but it got most of it out and I was going to line the rest with red kote. If you want to spend the money I would say metal rescue is the best stuff that I used but it got to expensive that is why I switched to molasses.

I used Molasses and had good results. You have to use the feed grade stuff from the farm store. I did 1 part malasses and 10 parts water then I just let it sit for a week or so. I like it because its easy to dispose of and it gets everywhere as opposed to electrolysis which only does line of sight. I used it on my gas tank and it didn't get all the rust out but it got most of it out and I was going to line the rest with red kote. If you want to spend the money I would say metal rescue is the best stuff that I used but it got to expensive that is why I switched to molasses.
Thanks, I was using unsulfured from the supermarket. I tried vinegar as suggested by others and it worked well. Next time I will head to the farm store.

I used molasses to clean out a tank with good results. The only thing I will caution you about is the smell. After it's been working for awhile. It can get pretty bad.

Back