My XS'

Ducs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I figured I am going to do a bit of an intro. I just recently got into the XS650 game and have three in my collection. All three are 78. The first one, is the good one. I just rebuilt the carbs, set the ignition timing, fixed the starter gear spring. It runs pretty good.

IMG_8595.jpg

IMG_8594.jpg

Now, the other two are totally barn finds, haven't run since at least 1988, a bit on the roached side.

IMG_8607.jpg

IMG_8606.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8612.jpg

The first bike, really nice bike.

The other bikes? A sure sign of a serious disease.

There is no cure.

Many others here share your affliction.

Welcome to the forum...

First bike looks really nice. Ya the other two will make for great parts bikes as you feed your new xs650 addiction. I bought my first one in march and have since bought two titled projects and parts bikes and a few parts lots. All very well priced, but it sucks you in pretty quick I must say.

Last edited:
I think I may stop at three for now....unless I come across something I can't resist. Owning four bikes is what some people may call crazy. I am seriously running out of space for all my stuff and it begins to look like hoarding lol.
I already tore the two roached ones apart. I will try to get the engines rebuilt over winter, hardtail one of the frames and see where that takes me. I sense a built thread coming up.

I think I may stop at three for now....unless I come across something I can't resist. Owning four bikes is what some people may call crazy. I am seriously running out of space for all my stuff and it begins to look like hoarding lol.
I already tore the two roached ones apart. I will try to get the engines rebuilt over winter, hardtail one of the frames and see where that takes me. I sense a built thread coming up.

Hi Ducs,
nah, 4 bikes is just a good start.
There's a minimum of six if you want to cover all the bases.
Big modern tourer.
Nimble modern canyon carver.
Street legal track'n'trail
Desert racer
Motocrosser
Antique
Scooter
And that's without having a sidecar rig.
As to where hardtailing an XS650 will get you, it'll get you back to the 1930s like all the other hardtailed bikes we see on this list.
If you'd like to take that time machine ride and not blend in with the sawzall crowd think about fixing up both ends with Indian-style 1/4-elliptical leaf spring suspension?

Hi Ducs,
nah, 4 bikes is just a good start.
There's a minimum of six if you want to cover all the bases.
Big modern tourer.
Nimble modern canyon carver.
Street legal track'n'trail
Desert racer
Motocrosser
Antique
Scooter
And that's without having a sidecar rig.
As to where hardtailing an XS650 will get you, it'll get you back to the 1930s like all the other hardtailed bikes we see on this list.
If you'd like to take that time machine ride and not blend in with the sawzall crowd think about fixing up both ends with Indian-style 1/4-elliptical leaf spring suspension?

We get it! you don't like hardtails! :banghead: I'm all for people picking up tools and building / modifying something. Mechanical prowess is a disappearing especially in young people. I hate seeing some of these bikes getting hacked to hell but I love the spirit in which it is done in. Not trying to attack you. I just feel like these comments don't add anything to our forum.

Hi RFL,
I love hardtails! To look at, that is.
I used to ride them when they were all there was and trust me, suspension is better.
And yes, I've seen some great work done on this list.
What I try to do is suggest to the fellows who are individualizing their bikes that hardtailing ain't the only way to go.
Which does indeed add to this forum, it adds diversity at least.

As far as hard tails go, so many people want to make the bike their own so they hard tail it with a TC Bro's tail and a Sportster tank. Just like every body else does, how original.
I agree with doing as you want to a bike, it's yours. But why not do something different?
Leo

+1 Leo. It's like all the Harley and Goldwing guys who want to make a statement, so they bolt on a bunch of the same expensive pieces as everyone else.

To quote a US soldier:-
"There were about 50 long haired scruffy guys all wearing ragged jeans and tie-dyed T-shirts mocking me for wearing a uniform."

I totally understand where you guys are coming from with your statements. I've been looking at a lot of XS650s lately and quite frankly I can't stand the look of a TC bros tail, frisco or a sportster tank and ape hangers. It seems like 8 out of 10 bikes that come up on xs650 google image search share these components. I don't want to get into a debate why that is, you could actually unintentionally hurt someone's feelings that owns a bike like that, but to each their own. This is where your own individualism comes into play as well, I bet there are individuals out there that really dig that look, and that is completely and absolutely fine with me. Thumbs up for actually doing something instead of staying in playing video games. With all that being said, there is quite a few good looking to me, my personal taste, hardtail bikes around there too, the craftsmanship and uniqueness are there, both are on a verge of being an art form, and these things positively inspire and motivate. My bottom line is do what makes you happy and respect others.

Back