Need swing arm pivot tube measurement

That's awesome 2many! I printed that one out!
Note the sideplay spec is called out as .005" That's in line with my guess, way above of .004" :wink2:

View attachment 40940

Hey too many do you have access to MCPN bulletin 262 and 321?
Tell us a bit about where these bulletins come from?

Three cheers for TwomanyXS1Bs, he is one first class researcher. He should look into the clutch worm situation some time............

I can check the correct OD for the flanges, if they were too thick, the other dimensions are suspect also.....

Tell us a bit about where these bulletins come from?

He should look into the clutch worm situation some time............

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Got a good belly-laff outa that one! Made my morning.

Found those bulletins about 10-15 years ago, posted in various places by other very helpful avid enthusiasts. Hope they don't mind, but posting them here is a way to keep their efforts alive...

Interesting and many, many thanks fella's. We are getting somewhere! I have my pivot tube at .040" which is way more than 5 thousandths which seems tiny to me. Even with my 40 thousandths I cannot discern any freeplay.

So, given the above bulletin, I'm assuming you would measure from the outside thrust cover to frame correct?

Still looking for an answer around the swingarm movement when torqued. I guess I could remove the thrust covers, tighten it up and see if in fact the pivot tube is staying put. What is correct, swingarm moves on it's own or not when properly torqued?

I can check the correct OD for the flanges, if they were too thick, the other dimensions are suspect also.....

That would be helpful. If anyone has a set of OEM thrust covers, could you measure the ID for us?

What Yamaha was calling the "thrust cover" way back when is now called your grease seal. You should have a couple of those. It is part of the spacing set-up so needs to be there. There will be way too much play if you leave them out so I'm not sure bolting the arm up without them will prove anything. You might try flipping them around so the seal part faces out. Then you might be able to observe the pivot tube and whether it's being clamped stationary as it should be.

Yeah, good point. Maybe a washer would work too. Anyway, good thing tomorrow is warming up so I might be able to do some experimenting with his.

Have you ever noticed if it's difficult to get the seals over the bushing flanges? This is my first XS so I have no experience to go by. Mine were next to impossible and are scraped up now. Will need to order some new ones.

They should just push right on without too much difficulty. It sounds like your new bushings are larger than stock on the O.D. Besides having flanges that were too thick? Where did you get those from (so I know not to buy them, LOL).

The quote as promised...

Thank you for the help!!

I've ordered the rear motor mount and the swing arm.

'In matters of style swim with the current, in matters of principle stand like a rock.'
Thomas Jefferson

They should just push right on without too much difficulty. It sounds like your new bushings are larger than stock on the O.D. Besides having flanges that were too thick? Where did you get those from (so I know not to buy them, LOL).

Yeah, something just isn't right. Time to order some new parts. Unfortunately, the bushings were already installed when I bought the bike so I have no idea where they came from. I too wish I knew!

Two steps forward, one step back...

The correct OD on the bushing flanges is 34mm An original (used) flange measured 2.5mm thick.

The factory seal is snug, it takes a bit of a twist when lubed up to slip it over the flange.

swing arm bushing.JPG

sorry the pic is a bit blurry.

Back