New aquisition

Tiny92

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just recieved an old Lincoln 225 "Tombstone" Arc welder I still need to install a 220v outlet in my garage/workshop I've never welded before and will be taking my time and be welding a lot of scrap metal before I would ever dream of welding on one of my bikes.

My question is how usefull will this welder be at fabricating for building a chopper or bobber? I will eventually hook up with a local welder to get me on the right path to learning. Just wanna know if this is the right tool for the job?

You can weld most anything steel with that welder.
also you can weld in 20 mph wind
try the with a mig or tig
most of the welding on my build was done with 225c Lincoln that's the compact version of your welder.
I can weld on fenders and not blow the metal out.
I had to fill in some holes on my rear fender no problem.
That is a good machine
crank it up and weld 1/4" no problem

migs and tigs are much cleaner though and are great too if you have one that is.
like Tony said You are better off with mig or tig

Good to know.

I was given this welder along with many other tools. My grandfather was a farmer and had tools to work on everything. He passed a few years ago and I was ellected to recieve all his tools by my father and my uncle. I think this welder may be older than I am so that in itself says something to its quality. I plan on replacing the cables and cleaning up contact points inside the box prior to getting it going.

Not being MIG or TIG my estimation is that I will become very proficient with my angle grinder.

oh yes im a pro with my angle grinder.
HF has a good multi pack for the angle grinder
3 flap disks 60grt,120grt,220grt,2 38 or 40 grt grinding wheels,and 4 or 5 cutoff wheels for around$8

Check with your local technical school see if they offer an evening welding class. Very worth doing.

Back