New owner intro and a couple of newbie questions....

enchained

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello folks. I just picked up an '83 xs650 Heritage Special last week and since this has been a valuable resource as I learn my way around it I thought I'd stop in and say hi and ask a couple of probably dumb questions.

For background I've been riding a KLR650 for years until I impaled it on a left turning driver last August. I decided to take a break from riding for a bit after that and finally decided to pick up another bike this year - something old and cheap, and I I've always kinda dug the XSs...so here we are. Anyways I have a few questions.

The PO of this bike has disabled the vacuum petcock. The vac lines on the intake boots and from the petcock are all capped off, he put an on off valve in the fuel line and left the petcock on prime. PO said it worked fine but he "didn't trust it" so I may hook it back up and see if it works...but what I'm wondering is if the prime position picks up from the on or the reserve inlet - I realize I don't have reserve function this way but I'm not sure if I've lost that .8 gallons or whatever of capacity. This is already a tiny tank compared to what I'm used to.

My other questions are about add on type stuff. I've already ordered some normal handlebars and new rear shocks, the old ones feel pretty blown out. Does anyone make a flattish seat that will fit on this bike? I gathered from searching that the old standard seats won't fit. I'm 6' and fairly "leggy" (34 inseam) and I'm finding I tend to want to sit right where the step in the stock seat is, which sucks. The only thing I saw was the "cafe" seat on Mike's, and I don't really care for the look of it and will occasionally carry a passenger so it's no good.

In an ideal world I'd also like to fit some milder dual sport type tires on it (shinko 705 are my favorite from before), and there's nothing like this in a 16 rear. I know there were some 18s but the only one I see on eBay right now is a disc brake and I have a drum. Is there an 18" rear with a drum brake that I can swap straight on, or would I have to change the brakes? I got a little confused when reading about all the wheel permutations. I don't care if it's cast or spoke.

Also, this'll be further down the road if it happens, but does anyone make a high mount exhaust that's not a super loud straight pipe deal? I don't want to smash it on stuff *or* piss off the neighbors. I'm not inclined to mess with it much as it runs real nice right now but I might do this someday.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic ;)
FB_IMG_1500243940899.jpg

Welcome aboard!
On the tire question......the '83 has the multiple spokes, 48 in the rear @ 16" and 64 up front @ 19". These are disdained by some and highly desired by others. The Standard xs models came in 19" fronts and 18" rears, spoked with drum brakes. They'll swap out with no problem.You could try offering up a swap in the classifieds but swap out front and rear as the rims cross sections are different.
Also, Mikesxs offers a 48 spoke rear rim in 18"....... You could lace up your rear hub to it and be done.

Hello folks. I just picked up an '83 xs650 Heritage Special last week and since this has been a valuable resource as I learn my way around it I thought I'd stop in and say hi and ask a couple of probably dumb questions.

For background I've been riding a KLR650 for years until I impaled it on a left turning driver last August. I decided to take a break from riding for a bit after that and finally decided to pick up another bike this year - something old and cheap, and I I've always kinda dug the XSs...so here we are. Anyways I have a few questions.

The PO of this bike has disabled the vacuum petcock. The vac lines on the intake boots and from the petcock are all capped off, he put an on off valve in the fuel line and left the petcock on prime. PO said it worked fine but he "didn't trust it" so I may hook it back up and see if it works...but what I'm wondering is if the prime position picks up from the on or the reserve inlet - I realize I don't have reserve function this way but I'm not sure if I've lost that .8 gallons or whatever of capacity. This is already a tiny tank compared to what I'm used to.
My other questions are about add on type stuff. I've already ordered some normal handlebars and new rear shocks, the old ones feel pretty blown out. Does anyone make a flattish seat that will fit on this bike? I gathered from searching that the old standard seats won't fit. I'm 6' and fairly "leggy" (34 inseam) and I'm finding I tend to want to sit right where the step in the stock seat is, which sucks. The only thing I saw was the "cafe" seat on Mike's, and I don't really care for the look of it and will occasionally carry a passenger so it's no good.
In an ideal world I'd also like to fit some milder dual sport type tires on it (shinko 705 are my favorite from before), and there's nothing like this in a 16 rear. I know there were some 18s but the only one I see on eBay right now is a disc brake and I have a drum. Is there an 18" rear with a drum brake that I can swap straight on, or would I have to change the brakes? I got a little confused when reading about all the wheel permutations. I don't care if it's cast or spoke.
Also, this'll be further down the road if it happens, but does anyone make a high mount exhaust that's not a super loud straight pipe deal? I don't want to smash it on stuff *or* piss off the neighbors. I'm not inclined to mess with it much as it runs real nice right now but I might do this someday.
Thanks in advance!

Hi enchained and welcome,
the list consensus is that manual petcocks are better than vacuum petcocks
(the implication is that if you can't remember to turn your gas off you shouldn't be riding anyway)
MikesXS sells a manual petcock that fits your tank which will restore your reserve setting.
The list's classifieds may find you a 1 gallon larger XS650 "Standard" tank that will drop straight on.
Dunno about finding a flat aftermarket dualseat. Perhaps re-upholster the stock seat with more foam
under it's front to flatten it?
You can swap the world's (IMHO) ugliest wire wheels for the far better looking deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels
from a mid 1970s XS650. Another "XS650 parts swap like LEGO" thing. That'll get you the 18" drum brake rear you wanted.
Note that if the front is from a '76 or earlier bike it'll have a 2-part brake disk that won't align with your bike's front caliper.
but that's OK because your existing brake disk bolts right on. The rear wheel's drum brake is identical. An early rear wheel's
brake plate may have an electrical switch built into it. Ignore it or hey! your existing brake plate will work with that drum.
Tires? The grippier an offroader is the quicker it wears away on asphalt. But you already know that.
There's several high-mount pipes available, you choose. They are all made short enough to mount mufflers on
so the neighbor-annoyance level is up to you.

It's surprising to me you can't buy a decent-looking new replacement seat for a Special. What you can do is get an original seat for an '80 Special, which fits and is much flatter than '81+. I had to do that since I actually sit on about the middle of the "hump". Gary has a good seat on his latest Special -- I'd like to know what it is.

It's surprising to me you can't buy a decent-looking new replacement seat for a Special. What you can do is get an original seat for an '80 Special, which fits and is much flatter than '81+. I had to do that since I actually sit on about the middle of the "hump". Gary has a good seat on his latest Special -- I'd like to know what it is.

Hi xjwmx,
agreed that an XS650SG ( but not the Special II) seat will snap right on but even if is a lot flatter than an '81+ seat it still has a hump in it.
Although I've ridden my son's SG I can't compare it's hump-riding comfort to my own Heritage Special's because my stubby legs put my
backside squarely in the rider's part of the seat on either bike.
I'd reckon that the only way to get a truly flat seat on a Special is to have the stock seat pan custom re-upholstered to be that way.

Thanks for all the information everybody! Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of these wheels but looks are low on the priority list. I'm not an aggressive off road rider, I just like to get out on the forest service/fire/logging roads out north of town here for some little day trips. I'm trying to keep this one in cheapskate mode so I'm not sure a custom made seat is in the works unless I do it myself, which I may try.

I think I might just throw a gas can in that wierd trunk this thing has on it and see how far I can go. A bigger tank would be pretty nice.

Welcome, Enchained, to the forum.
You have a very nice XS there. You even have the rarely found lower plastic side covers that are sought after.
As an owner of an '83 HS, count me in as someone who loves the double spokes.
I also have earlier models (see my signature below) and I've found the '83 to have the most comfy seat. I would suggest that you be careful in making a change.
Your exhaust system seems to be in nice shape.
I suggest you concentrate on getting this bike running real good and safe (if it isnt already) such as a carefull review of the brake system, before making essential changes.
The manual petcock mentioned is Mikes SKU #:
Petcock - Non Vacuum type 1978 - 1983 XS650 20-0019 (50 bucks)
and a set of new screws and seal washers are
Tap to tank Mount Screws 20-0020 (2.5 bucks)

Here's a pic of my '83, which I love:

Heritage.1983 002 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Enchained:

Like Yamadude, I also like the "zillion spoked" wheels, but opinions do differ. I understand your desire for a more common 18" diameter rear wheel though. The bike will handle better and the 18" rear tires are much more commonly available. If you want to do it, I'd say your best bet is to get one of those 18" replacement rims AND the proper spoke set from MikesXS and lace it up to your existing drum brake hub. This is not a big job and any decent bike shop (including any bicycle shop) can easily do it for you. Here are the correct part numbers (but PLEASE check them yourself before ordering):
  • 18" Rim 34-1906 - $29.95
  • Spokes: 19-0064 - $70 (approx)
NOTE: you do need the correct number and length of spokes - the old 16" spokes won't fit the new 18" rim.

So, for about $100, plus the cost of spoking it up, you're in business. I have one of those new rims and the spokes for my '81 Special to Cafe conversion and I'll be lacing it up myself soon prior to getting new tires & tubes - which are much easier to find in 18" than the original 16" diameter.

Fred and 'Dude have already pointed out the manual peacock - all I would add is to order some extra fibre washers (they're cheap) and a set of petcock mounting screws. These screws can be very tight and may be damaged during removal and the washers are crucial for proper sealing.

Finally, I would go online and get a set of JIS screwdrivers. All those screws on the bike that look like Phillips - aren't. They are actually Japan Industrial Standard (JIS) screws and a Phillips driver will eventually damage the screw heads. A really high quality set of JIS drivers can be had for $34 USD from gofastinnovation.com or from Amazon (they carry the excellent Vessel brand). Both are good.

Welcome and have fun!

Pete

The handlebars I've used are "Euro bars" which many others have.
Clean looking bike. A lot of people also use CB750 bars. Same-era ones have about the same height so you don't have to change the length of any cables, and they look good. The CB750 crowd hates them though so they're dirt cheap. They have your palms facing down instead of to the side, which is the important thing -- doesn't cause injury plus you have a lot more power on the brake lever like that.

Hmm, I think relacing the wheel might be the way I'll go. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the front not matching and wouldn't be dealing with a questionable rusty old wheel from ebay...sounds like a good winter project. I've built bicycle wheels before and I assume it would be the pretty much the same idea?

Jeffrey - I just checked out your post, was that bike from a craigslist ad? I was going to call about one that looked just like that (I thought it was a 79, but I may be remembering wrong) and it got sold the first day of my days off of work, the day I was going to call. anyways, it looks nice!

weekendrider - that seat looks like it would be perfect...all you did was shave the foam off of the step up and recover it? is it still pretty comfy? I'm thinking I might try and grab a trashed seat off of ebay for cheap and try this.

Yamadude - that bike looks REALLY clean...it's hard to tell from the pic but mine isn't quite that perfect. There's a few little dings and rust spots on the chrome all around, a little ding in the tank...a previous previous owner drilled a bunch of holes in the exhaust, and the previous owner welded it back up. I do have both the little lower side covers though - I didn't know they were hard to find! On the upside the PO was a (car) mechanic that seemed pretty knowlegable about bikes and everything seems pretty well sorted mechanically. He gave me a long list of stuff he'd done to it...a step richer on both the main & pilot jets, new brushes on the alternator, adjusted valves, new tires, brake shoes, some other stuff I don't remember off the top of my head... After reading on here I need to check the timing chain tension and the oil sump filter which is a bummer since I changed the oil the minute I got it home...but there aren't any odd noises or unexpected junk in the old oil so I'm hopeful everything will check out. It's started on the first kick probably 3/4 of the time and runs and stops pretty much perfect. The only things I've noticed that bothered me are the bounce house shocks and I suspect there's a little seepy oil leak somewhere because I get a little crispy oil smell when I park it - but it doesn't leave a puddle and the level hasn't gone down noticably. The bars I ordered are emgo "superbike" bars, I'm a *little* worried they might be a bit short in which case I'll get some ATV bars like I ran on my KLR.

Yes, that is how I did it. You might consider a want to buy ad in the classified section of the site. Comfort is an opinion, I don't find it a killer after 250 - 400 miles.
Myself I don't care for the later spoked wheels. So found a TX750 to rob the swingarm and wheels from (along with a few more tidbits) and a tank from a '78 for the xtra gallon capacity. So this is also an '83 but in a different dress.
DSCN2030.JPG

I've built bicycle wheels before and I assume it would be the pretty much the same idea?

Yup - exactly the same as a bicycle wheel Enchained. As I said, any decent motorcycle OR bicycle shop would have no difficulty lacing up the wheel.

Cheers,

Pete

[
Jeffrey - I just checked out your post, was that bike from a craigslist ad? I was going to call about one that looked just like that (I thought it was a 79, but I may be remembering wrong) and it got sold the first day of my days off of work, the day I was going to call. anyways, it looks nice!

No, this one was from a co-worker. There is one on Craigslist at Dukes Towing in West Duluth, an '81 with under 14k on it original and asking $850. Looked at it but it is apparent it has sat for quite a while and would probably take a lot of TLC for me to trust it. I would rather have higher miles than extended inactivity, they like to get exercise!

https://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-bikes-for-sale-new/6223293036.html

To answer your very first question, the "Prime" position on the petcock pulls from the "Reserve" feed so if/when you do run out of fuel, you will be completely out.

....those boots had better be made for walkin' - at that point - 'cause that's just what you'll do.

Back