New ROTOR installed, few questions

The diodes are inside the Rectifier.Im not electrical guru, theres 5 connections terminals on Rec
3 for white/yellow wire ,1 ground and 1 Positive .I have a diode tester. What terminals do I put pos and neg test
lead on to test? Should battery be disconnected, this may seem like basic stuff to most but I did not
take electrical in school Dope!!

Do you have a repair manual? The test procedures are in there.
You use the three whites and the red and black wires.
You hook the red lead to the red wire. Check ohms on the three whites. Write down results.
Hook red lead to black wire, Check ohms on white wires. Write down results.
Hook black lead to red wire. Check ohms, Write down.
Hook black lead to black wire, Check ohms. Write down.
This should give you a chart that shows the continuity through all the diodes in the rectifier both forward and reversed.
Forward should be a very low ohm reading compared to the reverse very high ohm readings.
I don't recall the exact specs but high side should be at least 50 times as much as the low side.
The book shows how the chart should look and what the specs should be.
Leo

What Leo sez.... except, since you have a diode function... use that. it tends to be more accurate and that's what it's there for. It squirts some volts into the diode and measures what comes out the other side. Look for about .5V drop in one direction and no voltage when you reverse the leads. Since you unplug it to do this, it's isolated from the battery... no need to disconnect it.

Tested my Rectifier. Set Electronic tester to Diode setting. (2000 with Diode symbol ) Rec plug disconnected.No Battery hook up also.
Red Lead to Red Wire all three whites are 1 or infinity
Red Lead to Black wire 6.2 6.0 6.3 on whites
Am I good? No chart in my manual to compare.

Tested my Rectifier. Set Electronic tester to Diode setting. (2000 with Diode symbol ) Rec plug disconnected.No Battery hook up also.
No, that's not right. 6 diodes means 6 readings.... and the numbers are off. Put up a pic of your meter with it set to the diode scale.

so far so good, you're halfway there, now;
Black lead on red wire check all three whites
then Black lead on black wire check all three whites
Bet you can guess what they should show

reg rec checks.jpg

GGGARY ,Black lead on Red Wire. approx. 600 all 3 whites
Black Lead on Black wire 1 or infinity on all 3 whites
Rec Good??
Mistake above was around 600 all 3 settings on whites.

Last edited:
What Iwas hoping to see was a volt symbol when in diode mode. Readings are in volts... as in voltage drop. Some el-cheapo's are just a glorified ohms scale.

IMG_20190602_142204.jpg

A typical diode will have about a half a volt drop across it. Your 6 or 600 is way off....

IMG_20190602_143532.jpg

rev.jpg

Watch this video. He shows how to do it with the diode function

So you made me go test a couple reg recs Jim. both xs650 originals of unknown provenance. A mid priced radio shack digital VOM, IIRC about $40-50.
What I got in auto range ohm setting was from 4.5 to 5K ohms vs. infinity on the diodes in one reg this corresponded to about .51 volts on the diode setting
on the second unit 5.5 to 6K ohms, diode setting .525 to .531 volts

I was pretty much figuring 650D was using an ohms scale and since he had a consistent ohm amount one way and open the other for all 6 diodes, the diodes are fine, the problem lies elsewhere. Seem reasonable?

Seem reasonable?
Yeah, 6K fwd biased and open the other way sound pretty reasonable. My concern is that he said he's using the diode function. Those aren't the numbers you'd expect for a voltage drop.
Mind you, there's noting wrong with ohm(ing) rec's. If 5 of 6 said 6.21K and the 6th one had 10K, it's a pretty safe bet the 10K is a bad one. I just prefer seeing the voltage drop. Gives me more of a warm fuzzy.... :sneaky:

So ive got a green light on the rec? Yes el cheapo unit for sure BUT as mentioned
no conflicting readings either 1 or infinity one way and approx 600 or 6.0 (depending if I used the Diode setting or setting beside that)
The Mikes xs Rectifier (grey unit with no wires) has a 5 prong male end built in so no diodes with arrows to read
but I get the gist of the video Jim. FYI Got my Original Yamaha Rotor wrapped up and ready to ship to u for a core credit.

New Rotor installed, doing a final check on wiring best I can. I found a really loose black wire in headlight bucket fixed.
I decided before starting bike to see if im losing any voltage thru the system. I first tested the brush wire connection (black wire on my 77)
with key on and dont get ANY reading!! I think im suppose to get a reading there. I unplugged the connector under the tank (were the 3 white wires go) and tested continuity on the black to the brush with black wire, all good there.I also tested voltage to brown wire from key switch and getting voltage there ,approx .3 Volts less than battery. Can someone advise if I should be getting power to the brush on a 77 set-up with key on. This may have something to do with burning out Rotors possibly. Worth mentioning is if I do the feeler gage hanging down in front of the rotor and turn key on it will immediately put the feeler gage to it. Please advise Thx

early-stator-jpg.137445

As the factory wired it; green wire should show plus 12 key on, the black wire is always grounded note how the screws ground it to the stator frame?

The black wire is the ground... won't read any V's there. The green wire is power from the regulator. Check for 12V there.
A .3V drop is not good. That's the outside limit of what's acceptable. You need to find the source of the high resistance. I'd start with the ignition switch. Watch the last few minutes of this video on checking voltage drop....

Back