No front fender?

jtrip72

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I notice a lot of people are going with no front fender. I like the look but wonder about sand and water being kicked up in your face. Is this mainly for looks?

When I first got my bike together I went with no front fender because I liked the look but rather quickly decided to go ahead and install a fender after getting caught in a couple of rain storms and had to deal with the rooster tail off the front tire. I myself definitely like the look of no front fender but I like not having to deal with the rooster tail if caught in the rain.

... Is this mainly for looks?

Kinda. Finding and fitting a custom front fender that doesn't make the bike look goofy is difficult, unless you retrofit or fabricate something from scratch. Even more difficult on springer/girder fronts, or the unique XS1 forks. So, folks would go without, and the looks caught on, I guess. I was able to find a slim custom fiberglass fender, managed to get it mounted, looked/worked quite well. Don't remember what happened to it...

Here is a very simple way to use the existing, 74-76, guard making a fork brace and small guard.

The guard mount was taken off the guard, and the struts were re-manufactured as a fork brace. Personally i would leave thew guard mounts on for the extra bracing as well as the re-manufactured struts as a fork brace.

Attachments

• user933_pic2831_1302549863.jpg
    user933_pic2831_1302549863.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 256
  • minifnder.jpg
    minifnder.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 308
I take mine off in the [late] spring and put it back on in the fall. I only ride with a full-face helmet so sand and the occasional summer shower has not been a problem.

BlingL.jpg

This is a lousy picture of the old school solution to no front fender on a bike that gets ridden in the rain: a bandana tied across the forks. It does a better job of stopping rain roostering into your face than you'd think.

Trophies.jpg

This is a solution similar to Skull's using a 1977 and later fender. Those fenders have reinforcement underneath, and make good fork braces. This one has a reverse curve on the tail side in order to preserve the speedo cable holder.

One of my early rides as a teen, I had not gotten around to bolting on a fender. For whatever reason, a big sloppy tomato was sitting on the road, not thinking it through, I aimed at it and squashed it dead on.
After cleaning tomato debris off everything, I now see merit in fenders.

If anybody knows of any fork brace and/or fender mount options for the unusual XS1 front fork, PLEASE let me know...

XS1-FrontFork.jpg

We don't see many tomatoes layin' around here, but there's NO shortage of fresh cattle patties. :yikes:

Back in the early '90s I rode an '82 XV750 without a front fender for a year or two. It was my only transportation so it was in all weather.

I would lean my upper body/head one way or the other to stay out of most of the spray. As the speed increased, say 45+ , it was being dispersed more onto the bike and my legs/torso than up to head level.

It was surprising to me how dirty I and the bike got when riding on wet streets without a front fender compared to with. My jeans and jacket would be very gritty from the dirt/sand/tiny gravel bits and certain areas of the bike/engine would collect little piles of it too. This effect was the most significant in the winter when the streets were not being washed clean by the rain and instead were being snowed on and the DOT was putting down extra sand(now they spray the mag salt more than sand).

Concerning the fork rigidity with/without fender, I didn't notice any handling difference but I wasn't looking for it either.

Ken

Kinda. Finding and fitting a custom front fender that doesn't make the bike look goofy is difficult, unless you retrofit or fabricate something from scratch. Even more difficult on springer/girder fronts, or the unique XS1 forks. So, folks would go without, and the looks caught on, I guess. I was able to find a slim custom fiberglass fender, managed to get it mounted, looked/worked quite well. Don't remember what happened to it...

Nitro-Heads in Japan make one for a Kawasaki w650. You have to modify the mount bracket a little, but the fit is perfect. Its polished aluminium and would work for cafe, bobber, resto-mod whatever. Only catch is that, its so light it doesn't add much stiffness. I'm considering integrating it with a fork brace, as my laws here say you have to run a fender.

I ride with no front fender.....shitty cell phone pic but you get the gist..... Going to put a fork brace on asap. Really want a Gordon Scott but I don't know if he's building right now. Will get a HHB fork brace if I have to....probably just as good as GS's but I like the look of GS's better.....
Really don't like the front tire rooster tail in the rain, but its a sacrifice I make for looks. Don't think I'll be able to put a fender on her .......

Attachments

• 20141205_111419.jpg
    20141205_111419.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 207
Learned decades ago you want a front fender unless you not going to ride in the rain of on gravel etc. Boy does it hurt when you get into some rain and gravel

I've been caught in the rain a handful of times. The scarf on the forks works marginally. With a full face it's not bad buy the 3/4 helmet makes it aweful.

If anybody knows of any fork brace and/or fender mount options for the unusual XS1 front fork, PLEASE let me know...

Hi 2Many,
how about a TKAT fork brace?
If the XS1 fork slider dimensions are not the same as all the other 34mm forks perhaps he'd make you a special if you asked?

Back