oil filter/cooler design idea

rezsst

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here's my idea. I've seen all the mods. Thought if its easier to change oil I'd do it my often. I like the idea of a standard filter. Like the mod of it being on the bottom. But you lose clearance under the bike.. my idea is to run the lines from under the bike to the front motor mount. A remote oil filter that would take the place of the front mount. Mill a block of aluminum that would replace it with some cooling fins milled in. So it would be basic. Just a thought while I'm changing my oil. What do you think?

I like the idea of pre-filtering and cooling before the pump, for several reasons, primarily:
- Cooler oil reaching the pump will reduce pumping losses
- Cleaner oil reaching the pump will extend pump life (they're not made anymore)

The pump has the ability to draw quite a vacuum, but a good practice would be to keep all oil passages at or below the engine's oil level. See attached pic for oil level height relative to front engine mount. I believe most of us in the south will be interested in your project.

Attachments

• XS650EngineOiling2.jpg
    XS650EngineOiling2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 177
filtering BEFORE the pump is a very bad idea - this is why no manufacturers do it

the oil pump will cavitate and aerate the oil if there is even minimal restriction on the suction side

Also, paper media filters are not designed to handle suction, they will collapse in on themselves and block the pump, or come apart and enter the pump, causing significant damage

FB71
I was told by Fram oil filter company that very same thing. No filter should be used on the suction side, partially because of the anti-reverse flow feature and what you are saying, they are made to be pressure feed.

One of the first attempts at getting an oil filter mount by replacing a drain bolt. Feed and return lines not shown and this system was abandoned because of the low ground clearance.
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/2284/

Front mount on an aluminum bracket hung off two engine case bolts that were extended by using longer studs from another engine. Had filter mount machined by my machinist.

By the way just ordered a new sump filter from MikeXS and I'm impressed. It's made in Japan, has a stiffer screen than one I got a few years ago and looks like better quality.

Attachments

• DSC00323.jpg
    DSC00323.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00324.jpg
    DSC00324.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00325.jpg
    DSC00325.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 170
The stock sump filter is all you need before the pump. After the pump you can plumb in fittings to add an external oil filter and cooler.
Send the oil to the filter first then the cooler. Hot oil filters easier than cold oil.
Search "Oil Coolers" on this site. Plenty of info on them.
Leo

I just thought if they are still putting filters on the bottom you should be able to move it up front for a better look better ground clearance and have the lines come up from bottom not the side screen cover. Then you would have two screens and a filter. At least I got you attention. Making sure no one is sleeping.

How about a liquid cooled head??? I'm sorry I'm laid up and have nothing better to do for 4 weeks but lay around and think of stupid shit.

Think all you want as long as you have deep pockets.

When thinking dramatic changes it's easier and cheaper to buy a different motorcycle.

Much like trying to squeeze more hp out of old motorcycles.

Modern designs or later designs just produce more, run smoother and handle better, usually.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back