Oil in cylinders

That sheet i posted is about 8 years old.....................it would be interesting to see if the instructions have changed..................

stoopkid22 are the instructions you have the same as i posted

Sorry guys been a long couple days. The 750 kit was new when I bought it. Installed on this engine 2 years ago and never ran. Life got in the way and the engine just sat. Got a new job, came into some money, decided to tear the whole thing down again and have it all vapor honed. I rebuilt it to the best of my ability and knowledge, which I know now should have been better.

Ever have a memory come out of nowhere and hit you? Happened to me last night. Ironheart cycles did the elephant foot tappet upgrade for me and when I got the engine all put back together I set the tappets snug and put then engine in the frame and wires it all up.

Fast forward to a week after I got it running. Doing the usual checks, valves, cam chain, timing, etc I notice that I "forgot" to put the tappet nuts on...so instead of thinking back to the rebuild and remembering that I had only snugged the tappet nuts I grabbed another head and stole the 4 tappet nuts and replaced them, reset the valves, and went on my way.......until 2 am this morning I never put 2 and 2 together.

So I stumble outside and take another look at my head and look what I find
IMG_4987.JPG
they weren't stuck andywhere. They were down in the head by the valve springs where the oil port is. Barely keeping from falling through. So I'm assuming all of you are sitting there with your mouths gapped open wondering how someone could do this. The end.

The cylinders were measured with a cheap digital micrometer from harbor freight. I'm hoping to take them to a machine shop today and see what I can find out from someone a little more experienced.

That sheet i posted is about 8 years old.....................it would be interesting to see if the instructions have changed..................

stoopkid22 are the instructions you have the same as i posted

My instructions are long gone.....I checked their website and they don't have them posted. I'm emailing them now.

Well , at least you Remember !!!! that's a good thing !
and I am really glad you found those nuts !!!
were the tappets adjusted correctly when you did the compression test ? ( they have to be or the compression test is Void !)
Bob......

and don't be so hard on yourself ! we all make mistakes in the rush to see the thing run .... we all have Kicked ourselves in the ass more than once for being stupid and forgetting something..... the thing is to Learn from the experience ! and don't do dat again !!!!! LOL
Bob.......

Ok have a goodern' I wish ya luck getting that thing ship shape once again !
Bob........

I notice that I "forgot" to put the tappet nuts on...so instead of thinking back to the rebuild and remembering that I had only snugged the tappet nuts I grabbed another head and stole the 4 tappet nuts and replaced them, reset the valves, and went on my way.
We do everything better the second time, but we do so many things only once that it makes us look bad :) One of life's challenges is to do things well the first time.

It should have been running much better after the extra four nuts. Was your oil problem and compression problem only during the time the adjusters weren't locked down?

We do everything better the second time, but we do so many things only once that it makes us look bad :) One of life's challenges is to do things well the first time.

It should have been running much better after the extra four nuts. Was your oil problem and compression problem only during the time the adjusters weren't locked down?
It was actually after the new nuts were put on....

I have been starring at the photos trying to make sense of things. On Page 3 Entry 43 there is a photo of the head with the gasket still in place. Perhaps it is an optical illusion but both metal rings on the gasket seem to be charred only on the half closest to the intake ports. I just wonder if the studs were initially over-tightened towards the front of the head and this has lead to oil leaking into the cylinders at the back and hence the resulting charring and poor compression. I would have expected the metal rings to be quite clean if sealing properly.

If changing the valve adjustment from random (locking nuts gone) didn't help, then I'd re-examine the valve adjustment procedure and cam timing for 277.

I have been starring at the photos trying to make sense of things. On Page 3 Entry 43 there is a photo of the head with the gasket still in place. Perhaps it is an optical illusion but both metal rings on the gasket seem to be charred only on the half closest to the intake ports. I just wonder if the studs were initially over-tightened towards the front of the head and this has lead to oil leaking into the cylinders at the back and hence the resulting charring and poor compression. I would have expected the metal rings to be quite clean if sealing properly.
No illusion....that's how they look in person also...everything was tightened equally. But you're right it doesn't make sense.

I have a set of stock cylinders and pistons sitting in the garage. I might throw them on real quick and see how they do while my 750 cylinders are in the shop

...Got a new job, came into some money, decided to tear the whole thing down again and have it all vapor honed. I rebuilt it to the best of my ability and knowledge...

All those microscratches on the pistons look like some grit got in there. If so, that calls for a complete inspection and cleaning...

Not sure about your vapor guy but mine was adamant I dunk my top end in a bucket of soapy water then toothbrush/scrub before I did any assembly whatsoever followed up by a bucket of warm water, scrub and then air hose to clean absolutely every nook/crevice. When fresh from vapor, though you couldn't see residue by touch, a finger across the surface of the fresh aluminum easily left a mark from the oil in your fingers. It certainly felt like the surface was coated in an extremely dry substance. Vapor honing does supposedly (sales pitch from all vapor guys) "seal" the surface, between residual surface cling & potentially dried slurry hidden in the oil passageways = recipe for disaster without proper prep prior to assembly.

If you have a valve spring compressor, I'd suggest also pulling those for close scrutiny along with the seats. At this point, over-examining isn't going to hurt anything.

Not sure about your vapor guy but mine was adamant I dunk my top end in a bucket of soapy water then toothbrush/scrub before I did any assembly whatsoever followed up by a bucket of warm water, scrub and then air hose to clean absolutely every nook/crevice. When fresh from vapor, though you couldn't see residue by touch, a finger across the surface of the fresh aluminum easily left a mark from the oil in your fingers. It certainly felt like the surface was coated in an extremely dry substance. Vapor honing does supposedly (sales pitch from all vapor guys) "seal" the surface, between residual surface cling & potentially dried slurry hidden in the oil passageways = recipe for disaster without proper prep prior to assembly.

If you have a valve spring compressor, I'd suggest also pulling those for close scrutiny along with the seats. At this point, over-examining isn't going to hurt anything.
I blew everything out with air....guessing that wasn't enough. Guess I'll get to cleaning. I'm cleaning up the other set of cylinders I have also. Is there any problem with just swapping cylinders and pistons from another engine?

+1 with hyde................With the damage those nuts have caused the only way any the shit would get into the cylinders is through the valves. there could be damage to the valve face's.

well, it's not like he found the nuts in the bottom end, he found them all in the head so only the head is suspect ... I would think !
he could have bent valves (unlikely but possible) and chewed up valve guide seals which is fairly likely sense that is where he found the nuts
.....However that one nut is dinged up fairly bad it could have shed some metal that got free.....
all in all a recipe for bad things to happen if you don't catch it now ! ...
....clean the sump and oil filter while your at it to see if there are any pieces in there !!!!!!
Bob........

Back