Oil leak from the oil filter on the RHS

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Finally, I have identified my oil leak. It is coming from the oil filter on the RHS. Can I put the bike on the side stand and remove the oil filter without oil spilling everywhere?

Best,
Adam

I have the same problem and bought some replacement gaskets. I figured you had to drain the oil to remove the filter without spilling everywhere. is that not the case?

My thought is to put the bike on its side, not completely, but with a strong tilt, that way the oil will not rest int he RHS.

I want someone to confirm before I try, however.

I have wrapped pipes, and put tin foil around my pipe so that when I take off the round cover, the little bit of oil doesnt soak my wrap.
It will leak a little, but not like a quart or so. just enuf to make you cuss for a second cuz now you got oil all over the garage floor, maybe a few table spoons.

Just drain the oil.................you could already have the oil drained while you are posting these questions. If you are cheap, you can put the same oil back in. If the oil is dirty, it was time to change it anyway. Good time to check the sump filter too...........maybe find a torn screen.

I have checked my side (upper) filter without draining the oil, with the bike on the side stand, and never had so much as a stray drop of oil except for what might be sitting (from gravity) on the rim of the case cover. I run two quarts in my '73. If all you want to do is change the gasket now, you should be fine.

TC

After you get the cover off you need to get all the old gasket out. If not the new gasket won't seal.
Leo

So I ended up just putting the bike on the sidestand. Almost no oil came out.

I thought I did a good job of scraping away the old gasket, but apparently I did not. I scraped a little more and put the new gasket back in and I am leak free for the last 20 miles. I think it will hold up.

Best,
Adam

I am having a Similar issue, i was able to lap the surfaces just as one of the other guys did, and replaced the gasket with one from mikes xs...still leaks as soon as it cranks over! I just finished it, wired it up, and now this is the only problem :( anyone have any other suggestions, tomorrow I am gonna try and get a cork gasket kit and make one:shrug:.
Sorry btw, I am brand new to this forum, but you fellas seem to sound like you know what you are talking about.
Thanks
Sheepdoggie:thumbsup:

Just changed both gaskets and the filter. The old ring type gasket was sticking badly and the other one was missing. Now it seems to be leaking. I did my best to remove the old one and the surface seemed almost clean and flat. What do you scrap it with? do you recommend using sealant or not?
Very interested in the cork gasket, how do make one or where can I find one?

Please do consider finding a convenient way to post more pics?
Besides the overall helpfulness pics provide for decisions and answers to tech questions.
Members , myself included, really do enjoy seeing nice XS's like your 78e . -RT

Please do consider finding a convenient way to post more pics?
Besides the overall helpfulness pics provide for decisions and answers to tech questions.
Members , myself included, really do enjoy seeing nice XS's like your 78e . -RT
Ok will do! Thanks for the reminder.

I ordered and installed the oil filter/cooler kit from 650 Central. The one that uses the honda filter. The darn thing leaks like a sieve. Put the factory back on and it is dry as a bone. So, I do not know what is going on! Maybe doubling the gaskets would help?

Check the sealing surface for flat. if you can, lightly rub it on some fine sandpaper on a flat surface then look for rubbed "high" spots.

For old, stuck on gasket removal, I use paint stripper. It virtually melts the old gasket off. You don't risk damaging the sealing surface because you hardly need to scrape at all.

The paint stripper needs to be the colorless gel in the square metal can that burns your skin off kind though. I made the mistake of buying the orange kind once when Wally was out of the other. Didn't do much of anything except be hard to clean off.

Back