Oil Leak?

If you guys would clean that area like you're supposed to, you might be able to see where the leaks are. I've lost count of the nasty, dirty sprocket area pics I've seen posted. Here's mine before it's annual "spring cleaning". This is a season's worth of build-up and basically consists of chain lube fling-off. I've replaced all the seals in this area along with the starter gear cover gasket. Even though I keep my sprocket nut very tight, you can still see evidence of some oil streaks emanating from under the washer. The next thing I'm going to try is polishing the areas on the front and back of the sprocket that contact the sleeve and lock washer with a Roloc disc. Maybe a smoother surface will seal better .....

InsideLeftCoverDirty.jpg

The complete seal kit is the way to go. You will eventually need and use practically all the seals in there and it's cheaper buying them as a kit. The kit does not contain a seal for the electric start motor itself but does have the one for where the motor fits into the case. Some of the blanking plugs sold fit into that seal. The only seal in the kit I haven't used is the main crank seal.

On that right side cover, there is a kick starter shaft seal and a tack drive rod seal. Both are included in the kit.

Hey 5twins which kit did you use? I have a 73 and was looking at gaskets and seals. I got a lot of stuff from mikes but I was wondering if those kits are good or if you have a link to recommend? I just keep reading about what is ok to get there and what not too and don't want to waste anymore money.

The seal kits and gaskets from Mikes are good. The seal kits contain ARS brand seals which were the original supplier. Most of their gaskets are Athena but compared to originals, I like the Athenas better. They come off easier without tearing on areas like the filter covers and side covers, so you can re-use them several times.

well i changed my oil on my 81' replaced all gaskets, filters and crush washers. Then i over torqued one of the bolts securing the sump. Im questioning drilling it out and retapping. Does anyone know the size of the bolt? And what thread?

Back