Oil pan/pump cover leaking

brianis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I replaced my clutch cover gasket and my oil pan/pump cover gasket but it seems like oil is weeping at the little plug where the oil transfer through the lower filter has this happened to anyone I just gave it some jb weld I have another cover but don’t want to waste a gasket

Are you talking about the pressed-in plug on the sump plate?
SumpPlatePlug.jpg

Haven't heard of any of those leaking from there.
Could sterilize the internal passageway at the plug, and dribble some JB-weld into there...

Over time with a little help of heavy hands the alloy around the holes can get pulled causing a hump, this can lead to the sump cover not sealing. Carefully using a file the raised areas can be made flat.

just an idea

Over time with a little help of heavy hands the alloy around the holes can get pulled causing a hump, this can lead to the sump cover not sealing. Carefully using a file the raised areas can be made flat.

just an idea

Agree. Too often some people think the way to fix a "weep" is to tighten the bolts even tighter. This then causes the leak to actually get worse from warping the two parts.

Probably the best way to get the surface nice and flat would be to use a sheet of sandpaper on a granite surface plate, but then how many have one of those out in the garage! Next best thing that one may have would be the cast iron top of a good table saw or similar tool.

Failing having access to those items I would suggest buying the largest name brand fine file you could find.

Last edited:
The surface of a decent mirror is incredibly flat. For a small piece like this a decent countertop or formica table is probably flat enough.
Wet or dry 300 grit with some water really makes this process go easy. I'll use a file if there is something that won't let you work the surface on a flat but to be honest file work is tricky requires precise technique, not for the ham handed. That passage has a ball bearing in there (I think) then the sealant. haven't seen one that's leaking (yet).

I have to do more looking it’s somewhere on the low end and it literally runs down to that plug area where it hangs low under the bike and drips. It’s the lowest place.

If it was that plug, it was originally sealed on the inside of the cover, as 2Many mentioned. That's where you'd probably need to attempt to re-seal it.

I’m going to look around more to try to figure out the cause going to left the bike up higher where I can actually get my head under and really look

Clean the area around there very well then a coat of talcum powder helps spot leaks.
On the oil seeping out between the sump plate and engine case is often from people replacing the sump plate bolts with regular store bought bolts. The stock bolts have a built in weak spot just under the head, when you over tighten them they are designed to break off before the threads get stripped. They don't need to be very tight. Like 5-7 ft/lbs.
Often when the store bought bolts get over tightened the threads start to pull out. This leaves a ridge around the threaded hole. The cover won't get hurt much but these ridges hold the sump plate from sealing. I use a drill bit a size or two larger than the threaded hole. Turn by fingers only, NO POWER! Use the drill bit to just cut this ridge down to flush or have a bit of a bevel down into the hole.
This will let the sump plate set flush on the case.
If you installed the gasket without any sealer, I use a bit of grease or anti seize as a sealer, This seals very well and let you remove the plate many times without hurting the gasket
The same thing with the clutch cover gasket.
On the clutch cover, the bolts that are below the oil level had copper sealing washers under the heads. Without these copper washers oil can seep out around the bolt heads.
Any seepage around the cover gasket may run down and collect on the edge of the sump plate and drip as you have found.
Leo

Back