Oil strainer/level question.

feliz

simpleton
Reaction score
The last time I changed my oil I found what seemed to me to be more than a normal amount of metal particles on the strainer but none on the lower magnet on the drain bolt.
So I did it all back up and took it for about a 25 mile run today and thought I would have a look at the strainer when I got home. I took the strainer out without draining the oil, found a few small pieces of metal but when I took the strainer out no oil was in the strainer compartment. Is it normal for all the oil to drain out or should it have been full of oil? In the service manual it shows it takes .2 litre more oil when the strainer is serviced but in my case it wouldn't make any difference. Any opinion/help. TIA.

I'd say that's normal. That side cover strainer is above the the actual oil level. You might find it full or at least partially so if you popped it open immediately after shutting the motor down. If it sat a few minutes, I think it would be drained off.

I've been running mine 4 or 5 years now and have put about 10 to 12K on it. I change the oil often (about every 1000) and check the filters almost every change. Just last summer they started coming out really clean. It takes some time and miles to totally flush their "past life" out, lol.

Ya, mine only has 2500 since a rebuild and I notice less every time I change it which has been about every 500miles. It had 900 on it when I bought it so I don't know the total history.

I once bought a 71 Norton that had supposedly been done over by a "professional Honda mechanic" and then stored for a few years. I bought it with 0 miles on and the first oil change I got a cupfull of shavings and cuttings and the bike turned out to be a piece of crap but it looked nice.

Back