On the road again at 40.............the bike that is..........PART DEUX

I'll bet you have lot's of options at Harbor Freight for different kits. Us Canucks envy your guys Harbor Freight!

I taught for a semester at Loyola Marymount University in LA in the fall of 1994 and one day a flyer from Harbor Freight in Camarillo CA landed in my mailbox. Well, I drove up there on the next Sunday AM with Daughter #1 (age 5) and HOLY COW!! - I was hooked. My wife and kids called Daddy’s Store and I referred to it as Hardware Heaven.

I may be wrong, but I think I recall hearing that the Camarillo location was one of the first Harbor Freight stores.

We left Ottawa with a well packed long wheel base Dodge minivan and between H-F and Joann Fabrics, we came back with minivan full to the gunnels AND a UHaul trailer.

I can spend a couple hours at Princess Auto. I'd have to take along a lunch to Harbor Freight.........

I started buying from HF many years ago through the mail, before they had stores nationwide. We finally got some in our area maybe 10 years ago but they were still a good 20 or so miles away from me. Finally a couple years ago, we got one in our town, about a mile from my house, lol. I can't hardly think of anything more to buy there. I've got more of their free little flashlights than I know what to do with, lol.

Couple more updates now that I've had some time to get back to this old girl. Nice to have something else to do other than thinkin’ on how to stop cam seals from leaking. :(

Took the handlebar switches off this bike MONTHS!!! ago and dropped them off at Diablo Cycle who did up switch decals, now available here.

The delay in getting them back together is on me not them, I have been somewhat distracted with some other clutching, sparkly, and leaky issues on another bike. :rolleyes:

These were pretty badly corroded.

IMG_20180718_152510.jpg

So a little scuff, a little paint, new decals, now that looks better. Repainted the M/C and clutch perch while I was at it.
IMG_20180814_125828.jpg IMG_20180814_125148.jpg IMG_20180814_130038.jpg images.png

Then figured I do a little small parts polishin’.
Bob recently posted on his thread how he did his cases and bits. He’s busy using them for shaving mirrors right now I expect. There's sure more than one way to skin a cat. When I'm doing up large pieces like engine cases I sand (probably obsessively) before buffing, but when I'm doing small bits like valve covers, I just use my small parts cleanin’ and polishin’ rigs . Here's an old pic from a couple years ago.

WP_20160723_006.jpg

The valve covers were the last parts to clean up and polish.

IMG_20180812_141247.jpg

I’m out of regular paint stripper so I just used some Aircraft Paint Stripper.
Then 4 different compounds and finally Autosol using cloth wheels.

IMG_20180812_142003.jpg IMG_20180812_154242.jpg IMG_20180812_161516.jpg IMG_20180812_175557.jpg

IMG_20180812_205112.jpg IMG_20180813_153014.jpg IMG_20180813_164522.jpg IMG_20180814_131325.jpg

IMG_20180813_155518.jpg

images.png
Because the switches were off I haven’t been able to fire this bike up (without doing a bunch of jumper wiring) since last Sept. and that’s been bothering me. Don’t like it to sit that long without running. Jim inspired me to get off my butt and get sumthin’ done so I got her back together today.

Well, doesn’t sound too bad for not runnin’ for a year. Needs some tuning, but after she ran for a few minutes she settled down and the idle smoothed out.

We’ll keep working down the list. :)

Beautiful work on the parts Robin (what a huge surprise!! ;)) and congratulations on getting Black Betty started up - well done!!! She sounds excellent and so now you've to two XS650s to ride!

Just one more to go......

Thanks Pete! Nice to have her runnin' again. Don't expect she'll be on the road, cept for a test ride around the block ;) til next year.

Lot's of work to do to strip, prep and repaint the tank and tins. That's the next big job on the list while the weather is still nice.

Also need a battery and new tires. Not much point buying them now as I don't expect I'll have her ready until Sept. No point buying a battery that I won't need until next year and also no point losing a year on the tires for the sake of a couple of weeks riding that I could get in later this fall.

I'll have her ready for spring!

Lookin' good Robin!!
Thanks for the Diablo link. I been lookin for them decals. :D
Don't know if you noticed, but on my first run video, the part that fell off and I bent over to pick up was the hi-lo switch knob. The stud that sticks out broke at the screw hole.... Got any links for one of them?

Hey Robin!
It’s so nice to hear that old girl run! Man I’ll tell you, having sat for a year and to fire up and settle right down into a steady idle, very impressive. I noticed your voltmeter showing a good charge. Your switchgear looks like brand new. All in all a productive day you’ve had!
And as for your polishing, well you’re still the professor.
BC25456F-6DCC-4F07-B8BB-F92155B16F99.jpeg

I am but a disciple.
5994F9A5-6ED1-4940-B8CC-A0E7F1A71BA5.jpeg Nicely done.......as usual. :bow2:

I remember reading something Skull said once that went something like “if you haven't at least ridden it to the end of your driveway and back, it's not officially back on the road”.

Do not adjust your computer monitor, what you are about to see is not real…....

You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone!

250px-TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

I have had this bike running in the shop several times but never on the road for a quick test ride
That is not the tank from my 77 Ol’ Blue on my 78 Black Betty to facilitate a quick unauthorized road test to test these carbs to then try on my other bike.
(More on that in my other thread)

IMG_20180902_141339.jpg

And, this is not a pic getting back from a few laps around the neighborhood block.

IMG_20180902_142432.jpg

But…...if this had been real, I could say by Skull’s comment that my 78 is 'On The Road Again at 40……..PART DEUX!

Last edited:
Back