Pre 78 transmission and overdrive gear

bloglos

XS650
Reaction score
Hoping to get some clarification. I understand that the Mike's XS 5th Gear overdrive is meant for the 78 and later transmissions but I was told it "should" work fine in my 77D as long as it's also installed with Mike's 05-0857 (Gear - 5th. Main - 22 Tooth)?

Can anyone clarify this for me as I'm about to split the cases.

Skull posted the tech bulletin. Post #9
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24777
Middle paragraph "Interchangeability"

I read that, and I'm probably an idiot but the way it's explained is confusing me. I just want to know if I can slap the overdrive gear (05-0870) and Mikes 5th main gear (05-0857) in my older transmission (77D) or is my only option to order a 78 transmission and then add the overdrive gear.

I swear I'm not trying to drive you crazy weekendrider, I appreciate the help, but is that a yes to I can slap the 2 gears in my old transmission, or a yes to my only option is to order 78+ transmission?

:)

I just want to know if I can slap the overdrive gear (05-0870) and Mikes 5th main gear (05-0857) in my older transmission (77D)

Depends on what engine no is in your 77D.

Why post another thread on this when one is already running :banghead:

Last edited:
I read that, and I'm probably an idiot but the way it's explained is confusing me. I just want to know if I can slap the overdrive gear (05-0870) and Mikes 5th main gear (05-0857) in my older transmission (77D) or is my only option to order a 78 transmission and then add the overdrive gear.

Read the service bulletin i posted in the other thread. It explains the differences, why they shouldn't be mismatched and when the changes were made very well.

Back