Project Canuck- 84 XS650 Project Build

OK - but he’s only going to polish the OUTside of the links and leave the inside surfaces as-is.

......right Canuck - you’re not going to polish the INside surfaces of each link....

.....are you? :doh:

Oh dammit.

Geez…I am disappointed now. Would you expect anything different. We have already determined that I need to get a life. o_O

Right now I am concentrating on the exhaust. Got the left side on and a little disappointed in it. Once I removed all the dirt found several deep scratches in the chrome. Some from being dragged along the ground at one point in its life and some from someone’s feable attempt at polishing. Not as bad as it sounds but my eye keeps getting drawn to it. Sounds like I need to up my therapy sessions.
D88B73EB-B90B-4245-9BE8-DAC7F79A9FFB.jpeg
CE26D537-DDB6-495C-B517-0B45C2B996E5.jpeg

C'mon, canuck! That scooter is pushing 35 years old, and you're "a little disappointed" because the exhaust has some scratches in it? Do you remember me asking about that glass case? What are you gonna do when you're riding it and get bug splat on it? :yikes:

Ouch!

Maybe my dear Lucille will be nearby and nobody will notice the bugsplat on Canuck’s bike because they’ll be so amazed at how grungy Lucille is.

C'mon, canuck! That scooter is pushing 35 years old, and you're "a little disappointed" because the exhaust has some scratches in it? Do you remember me asking about that glass case? What are you gonna do when you're riding it and get bug splat on it? :yikes:

Scratches mostly gone……glass case on order just in case you were wondering.

Need someone to check my logic. Tried to get it started today. Discovered a leak in the carb t-fitting but no big deal. Will need to get a new one. Managed to at least get the bowls filled but no start. Traced it down to no spark at the plugs. Pulled out each one and checked for spark while grounded...nothing.

Thought maybe it was an interlock but I get the neutral light and it turns over. I am assuming that any of the interlocks (clutch, neutral, sidestand) would not even let it turn over. Correct???

Did a resistance test on the coil. Primary give me 2.7 (in spec), secondary gives me 29 Kohms. Assuming that is my issue. Spec is 11 kohms on the secondary. Checked the resistance on the pickup and it is within spec so only leaves the coil. Did I miss something else or is that my smoking gun.

No idea what happened. Had spark when I took it apart. Always careful to not turn it over with the HT leads connected/grounded. Age may have just caught up with it I guess.

Now the big question, what is the correct replacement for this coil. See several on MikesXS but not sure which one is a plug and play unit. Looked in the flea market section for a used one and waiting for a reply. Anyone have a working unit lying around that they are looking to sell.

Guess it couldn't all go well. Something had to give...but she sure looks pretty.

Did you try pulling the plug caps and plugging the meter directly into the HT wires?
Hmmm....Just tried that and you are correct. Resistance is now 11 on the secondary. Resistance across both boots is 8 Kohms or so. That explains the 29Kohms. Bad boots...or bad coil, or neither. Spec in book shows to measure it through the boots for 11 kohms??

We might be going down a rabbit hole here..... Just checked my 80SG TCI (which runs just fine) and I get 31K across the sec. with caps installed. That's 2K more than you're getting and mine sparks just fine at that resistance....

Makes sense since I believe the stock caps are 5k caps. Give or take. There has to be something else at play here. I have missed something somewhere. But what. Time to give it a full electrical review. May be the TCI (not sure why). Will check that next.

Will the bike turn over if any of the interlocks are not satisfied.

OK, just looked in my Yamaha manual for the 80SG (it doesn't go up the your 84). It calls for 13K on the secondary, but it doesn't specify whether or not that's though the caps.... just sez secondary. I know this TCI system uses resistor caps and I was thinkin' 5K per cap but my memory's fuzzy on that. Based on our reading being similar, I suspect your coil's OK.

Last edited:
No, interlock should kill starter as well as iggy. Try some contact cleaner at the TCI connector.
Also, TCI system gets finicky if volts drop below about 10-11v. Did you check for spark by just kicking it? Maybe batt. volts drop too much with elec start?

No, interlock should kill starter as well as iggy. Try some contact cleaner at the TCI connector.
Also, TCI system gets finicky if volts drop below about 10-11v. Did you check for spark by just kicking it? Maybe batt. volts drop too much with elec start?

Will check but battery is fine and fully charged. Let’s see what I can find.

Check to see if you get 12V at the red/white wire on the TCI connector. That will answer your interlock question. Good a place as any to start. You have a colored schematic?

Back