Quick parts compatibility question

1blackz28

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 75 with a pamco simplified harness. I also have a complete charging system from an 81 parts bike. Can i just swap the charging system and keep my old good rotor on or do i need to take the rotor from the 81 too.

If I understand correctly, you swapped the points system for the pamco, and also simplified the wiring. I assume your bike is not charging. but you believe the rotor is good and also the brushes measure at least 3/8". You suspect problems with the stator and/or regulator and rectifier. You also know the charging system from the '81 works properly.

If that is the case, there shouldn't be any reason I can think of, not to switch the stator, regulator/rectifier from the '81, leaving the rotor as is. Remove the pickup from the stator assembly, you won't need it.

Yes that's exactly what I was asking. Thanks for replying. After rereading my post it wasn't exactly the clearest wording. Yes I have a known working system. The one on my 75 isn't charging, brushes are fine and rotor ohms out fine. I would rather fix it for free since I have the parts.

Before you start swapping parts, test the stator. If it tests ok then follow the tests in your repair manual for the reg and rec. Could be either or a bad spot in your simplified harness.
You will need to do a bit of rewiring to get the 81 alternator to work. The brushes are wired different.
Better to do a few simple tests first, you might find it's something easily fixed.
Leo

It's not the harness I've already checked. It's not a fresh bike I've been running with this wiring for two years. I figured that I will be going to a solid state reg/rect combo anyway. So instead of using nylon screws i was just going unbolt the stator and reg/rect and move them to my bobber cause afterall it's free.

Ok, Going to the solid state reg/rec will require the brush rewire on the 75 anyway so swapping to the 81 stator you won't need the nylon screws but will still need the rewire.
I did the same on my 75, I had an 82 stator with a bad rotor. I already rewired the bike from scratch with the Chrysler reg mod. so I already had the wiring modded for the nylon screws, so it was a direct swap.
Another thing about the 80 up combo reg/rec stators, the brushes are the same, you can swap them inner to outer as they wear. That way you get max life out of them.
The earlier you can't do this easily.
Leo

Back