Rapid Idle Increase

Why does my idle start normal and then increase rapidly.

• bad wiring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad carbs

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Grimmith

Samurai
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got my bike running-ish. I found out its a 77 xs650 D. My manual doesn't have much on the D model....But when I start it, it idles around 1200 and then starts to increase fairly rapidly. I have my pilots at 2 1/4 turn. The rest of the jets are based off the xs650C model in the manual I have. my valves are all set .003 by the carbs and .006 at the exhaust. it kick starts on the first try and then just keeps going. I'm also doing this without a rectifier (not sure if it matters) because my stock one was fried and I have to save up for the upgrade.

"Trying to do it without a rectifier" you'd be a lot better off to disconnect the generator and just run off the battery. One cause of a rapidly increasing idle is advance kicking in too soon. PS -- although with your rectifier out, the generator may be disconnected.... Don't know exactly what you have there. My original thought was of it jumpered over rather than removed.

Last edited:
A replacement rectifier is only like $10. What's there to save up for? If you can't afford that then maybe you should take up a cheaper hobby, like knitting or something, lol.

Grimmith.......................you most likely have air inleakage to the carbs causing a lean mixture. That will cause a high hovering idle and its very common.
There are many, many threads on this problem, so use the search button. Also search for the threads on buying a very inexpensive 3 phase rectifier.

A replacement rectifier is only like $10. What's there to save up for? If you can't afford that then maybe you should take up a cheaper hobby, like knitting or something, lol.
lawl, I can afford it...how do you think I got the bike... Plus, the original rectifier is junk if you want to update a few parts, I was talking about the Reg/Rec combo from Mikesxs which is why I said "upgrade" not "stock rectifier" . Currently, I'm just trying to get the engine to run properly. P.S. If you have time to post that silly reply, I'm assuming that you know whats causing my issue then? cuz why be a troll to a person who didn't start working on a bike in his life until last October lol. <greenhorn

Thanks retiredgentlemen, I did try searching in the bar for my issue but couldn't find anything on high idle that involved air leaking into the carbs...some how i didn't find anything. But when I typed carb air leak and did reading, I'm thinking I have a float issue? and maybe even my needle jets are set wrong.

Last edited:
Good info in this thread:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/idling-really-high.7838/#post-80947

Keep away from the combo rec/reg sold by Mikesxs and other after market sellers. They are expensive and poor quality. Its much better to have the rectifier and regulator as separate units. I recommend you buy a VR-115 nos automotive regulator for your 1977. 5twins gave you good information.
3 phase rectifiers complete with heat sink are available on E-bay. They are mass produced for wind turbines and are very inexpensive. Don't buy the very cheapest ones at 3 or 4 dollars.........................better quality ones available for less than $15. Rectifier rating of 25 or 35 amps is good for these bikes.

Thanks for all the help retiredgentleman , I actually got it running a few minutes ago. Turns out most of my gets were way to loose. Now it runs at about 1400, with a slight back fire. I'm assuming the timing is off. I'll probably recheck the valve clearance as well. But also, I want to make this look like a pretty awesome little chopper. what would be the best place to chop it out and maybe re-locate the battery?

Back