seat cover installation

yamamunn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got a new seat cover looking for installation tips ( 78 650 special ) I have installed many dirt bike covers which are stapled on, with these metal spikes look like it is a one chance ordeal

My secret is to get a box of binder clips from an office depot type store. It's worth paying the $2-3 that they cost, and they have all kinds of other uses as mini-clamps. Now, put the cover on using the clamps. Keep stretching and adjusting until it's perfect. Then use the spikes. Do one spike in the center of a long side, and then it's opposite. Then one spike on a short side and then it's opposite. Continue in this fashion.

I found that bending the teeth out 90 degrees from the pan surface that they are cut from is the ideal. Get the cover in position over the foam and check to see how it looks. I then start anywhere to bite the cover down and then go across from that point, then to the extreme left and then to the opposite of that......moving around to get the cover on as evenly as possible.
No expert here but it's worked for me.

What do you guy think about using a hair dryer. When I did my Suzuki seat I had a heck of a time getting the cover to stretch far enough. And that was with my brother helping me. I actually ripped a seam.

But then I used a hair dryer to heat up the cover. Turned out great. :thumbsup:

A hair dryer is very handy when "persuading" vinyl.

Binder clips, 90 degree bends on tabs, and hair dryer, all sound like winning tips to me.

Warm the cover before even trying to fit it on the foam. I did a seat in the winter and it was very difficult until I warmed the cover. Probably the best senerio is hot day, in the sun, middle of a black-top driveway. You get the idea! ;^)

Another thing, if there is a 'hump' the vinyl will bridge the up slope instead of following the curve of the foam. A spray of adhesive will stick the vinyl to the area so it doesn't look like an amature did the job (like mine looks!).

Tom

Last edited:
This is a really terrible pic for what you're looking for, but I re-shaped my SV seat to be shaped like a human ass instead of a padded brick, added a 3/8" gel pad scavenged from a bicycle seat cover, template, cut, sewed, and installed my own cover. Works far better than it looks. It would have come out better with a better sewing machine, but I've been using the seat like this for nearly 5 years now. While we are on this, where is everyone getting seat foam stock, and by what guidelines do you select material? I've got a mind to re-create my stock seat for my 79 Special with a newly sculpted foam block and the Travelcade seat cover.

IMG_20120415_193404_zps97b48ec9.jpg

I found that bending the teeth out 90 degrees from the pan surface that they are cut from is the ideal. Get the cover in position over the foam and check to see how it looks. I then start anywhere to bite the cover down and then go across from that point, then to the extreme left and then to the opposite of that......moving around to get the cover on as evenly as possible.
No expert here but it's worked for me.

Oldschool: We would recover seats thataway with a twist. Place the seat, upside-down, on a thick pad/pillow, then put your knee on the middle of the seatpan to slightly compress the whole thing while hooking to the clips. Seat covers came out taught, no rips at claws...

What is a good seat cover btw? I had my eye on one on ebay with flames sewn in, since Trigger has sexy new paint, but it doesn't seem to be offered anymore.

Oldschool: We would recover seats thataway with a twist. Place the seat, upside-down, on a thick pad/pillow, then put your knee on the middle of the seatpan to slightly compress the whole thing while hooking to the clips. Seat covers came out taught, no rips at claws...

Yes......forgot to mention the compression!
I believe that covers it! lol

Back