shift shaft oil seal

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My xs is leaking oil from the shift shaft oil seal and I was wondering if I had to remove the shift shaft to replace the seal. I replaced the push rod oil seal and that is no longer leaking. If I do have to replace the shaft how big of project will that be?

81 xs650 special

Thanks

Depends on your skills and tools. It can be done with a properly shaped pick or such to pry out the old seal. Clean and finely sand/polish the shiftshaft to prevent seal damage during reinstallation...

You don't absolutely have to remove the shift shaft to replace its seal, but it makes the job a whole lot easier. Removing the shaft isn't terribly difficult. You don't have to split the cases. The shaft passes through them and its bracket end resides under the right side cover behind the clutch. It does involve removing that cover and the clutch, but you might use this opportunity to do some other probably needed things while in there. Things like fixing a grinding #4 starter gear, installing heavy duty clutch springs, or fixing a leaking tach drive.

I just did mine in the fall,it was the original seal and the rubber had hardened over the years.What i ended up doing was spraying wd40 round the outside off seal then i drilled a really small hole thru seal and put a screw in the hole,then i clamped some visegrips on screw and ran a rod thru the end of the visegrips and tapped the rod with a small sledge hammer,3 good smacks and the whole seal popped out.be careful drillin the hole only need to drill thru seal thickness maybe a 1/4" and drill strait dont want to nick the shaft or the case.Did i mention Really Small Bit!!

To change the seal without taking out the shift shaft goes fine . Just drilled two holes in the old seal , (180degrees between) ,
two small screws , finally destroyed the seal , and pulled the seal out .
Put on grease on the new seal before putting it on .

I replaced mine with the shaft removed, but there's a recent writeup here with pictures on doing it easily with the shaft still in.

I'm about to do this job on my SJ with shaft still in, if possible, but I'm damned if I can find that writeup no matter how much I search. Does anyone have the link handy?

Thank you. I guess I'm slightly reluctant because I've had the clutch apart twice recently and was hoping not to have to do that again! I thought I'd have a go with the shaft in, and if that proved to be a right royal pain in the arse, bite the bullet and take the clutch off.
Thanks again and I'll have the rear tyre oiler disabled soon :thumbsup:

Back