Shop Lighting Tip

A friend of mine recently swapped out (4) 4' CFL tubes to LED tubes on 2 fixtures over one of his workbenches. Said that they cost him $4 apiece, and he had to bypass the ballasts.

Super bright.
So bright that my stoopidphone camera blurred the individual LEDs, makes it look like a continuous light. Quite easy to see details of mechanical gadgets on his bench.
LED-LightTubes.jpg

They updated the shop lights at work the other day. It seems you can buy a kit for about eight bucks to convert eight foot fluorescent light fixtures to use the really affordable four foot led bulbs.

In my new shop set up I’m currently running three , four foot LED lights, plus the original four foot double tube fluorescent that was already in the garage.
A180989C-6897-49E7-A1F7-82EF6AEAAFEC.jpeg

The one over my workbench has the added feature of having a motion detector built into it. It’s really nice, every time I poke my head into the garage to grab a tool it comes on as soon as I open the door. It’s also nice when you pull your car into the garage at night.
3FE4D96B-179B-4A62-82C6-ACA2FCC1AD96.jpeg

All in all, I’m very happy with the quality of light in my shop now.
6F058C31-4B04-47A1-91CD-ED431E6DC380.jpeg

I finally updated my T12’s to T8’s three years ago. I sat on the ballasts and lamps for 15 years. Now I have 12 high end 8’ LED’s that cost $400/each. They were over ordered for a job and not returnable, so they gave them away last July. Trouble is that I do electrical at work all day. Who wants to do it when you get home, too? The struggle is real.

Back