snap on tools

Not sure about brake clean. Burns as bad as acetone.
Acetone and brake clean are about equally painful. Too bad they don't make brake clean in tiny little cans. Would make a great non lethal self defense weapon. Hard to hurt/rob someone when you can't see.

One time I got it so bad I crawled up into the galley where I flushed my eyes with a quart of milk. A bit later I was severely admonished by the medical staff cleaning me up. I couldn’t have cared less. Milk stops the pain. Years later the company started keeping sterile castor oil at first aid stations. Castor oil works well too.

A truck driver worked for me. He related at one point one of his runs was hauling dump truck loads of factory reject (snap on or craftsmen) wrenches to the area foundry. He claims a company car lead his truck and a company car followed his truck.

A truck driver worked for me. He related at one point one of his runs was hauling dump truck loads of factory reject (snap on or craftsmen) wrenches to the area foundry. He claims a company car lead his truck and a company car followed his truck.
I have no doubt. They don't want anything they've deemed a "reject" to get out in the world. Could cause a liability issue as well as damage their reputation.

I have no doubt. They don't want anything they've deemed a "reject" to get out in the world. Could cause a liability issue as well as damage their reputation.
When I worked for Brumos Racing, when we discarded old race tires, we took a box cutter to the sidewalls to keep the dumpster divers from getting them. Some of the series we ran used DOT tires.....slip and fall lawyers love stuff like that.

Here was a case .when a Manufacturing company dumped defect Electronic Surveillance cameras at the Recycling station
An Employee took them out ..home and repaired .Sold them on Internet e-bay I do believe
It was a lot of money involved allegedly + 5 digits in US $

The company first believed it was stolen from their factory ..But it was from Re cycling
He got sentenced I dont remember what punishment. And fired.
Dont think jailed

snap on used to be the best there was... remember we open a drawer a 100 times a day. try that with 150lb off tools in them try that with a HF box. the box before the rusting one I had for 12 years still looked and worked as new I just out grew it. thats why we pay the $$$$ we do I know guys with 25 year old snap on box's that still look and work good. ( 1 15k box or 5 or 6 cheap box's )the guy beside me had a cratsman box that was 7 years old and the drawers were fallinf a part it took 2 guys to get the drawes back in some times the drawer slides were allinf of inside the box mine were all good and 2 x as many tools in them. I have only broke 3 snap on sockets in 30+ years and have a box ffull of cratsman's that are broken.( we all started out with the cheaper stuff ) Broken tools mean down time not making $$$$. thats why we pay the big $$$$ or them. I'm pissed that snap on doesn't care about customer service anymore

When I started out as an aircraft mechanic the thought was, craftsman tools are great for the guy at home working on his car etc. but somebody working as a professional, 8 hours a day 5 days a week needs better.
Proto, Matco, Snap-On etc.
Snap-On was considered the best.

I've never been sorry that I invested in them when I was getting started. Happy day when I paid off that account!!
Now I'm retired after 40 years and have great tools to work on my car! Ha ha

Last edited:
Well back in the late 70's/early 80's, pre- Continental for me, there was a few years where corporate aviation was a desert. During that time I became a service manager at a Yamaha shop so I bought a small collection of snap on in metric. I've added to it with everything from Challenger (made by Proto sold by grainger) to Pittsburgh from harbor freight. Since I'm not a pro anymore, ha ha.
The SAE stuff still comes in handy.

I started out with a jumbled mess of whatever I could get my hands on. Bit by bit completed a full set of Craftsman hand tools. Had them for about 10 years, loved 'em no problems. All were stolen one night, 4 boxes full. Had to rebuild a full set of tools fast and on the cheap, Pittsburg from HF. I've had these for over 25 yrs, sockets and wrenches are still holding up fine, ratchets all broke except the 1/4" spinner. New ratchets Craftsman, and a 6 point set of wrenches metric and sae for breaking things loose. Bought a 3/4" set from HF too, great for axel nuts and the big stuff, bought an adaptor 3/4" to 1/2" so I can use the breaker bar for stubborn stuff. The feel of the cheaper tools is noticeable but they're holding up so without a winning lottery ticket it is what it is. I see no need to blow a ton of money on a name.

its a diffrent story when you use them to make a living every day
What you said is very true.
I spent 20 years as a auto mechanic in my youth. People can believe what they want there was a difference between Snap On and all the others. At least there was in the 70s/80s/90s.
For home use whatever works for you is fine.

Been googling some they sure are expensive They can perhaps be worth it . I dont know ...and there is also the aspect If you have customers arriving having a look at the shop and tools. Or as I have done been out on the road with the tools it sends a message .What equipment you have

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Sta...Wrench-Set-(8–19-mm)-(Blue-Point)/BLPCWSM712B

1691190193341.png

Here a well known seller . For DIY and others

https://www.biltema.se/en-se/tools/...nation-spanner-set-12-pack-8-19-mm-2000041569

that is in Swedish money 319 SEK makes ca $ 30

that square 10 years Guarantee

1691190448817.png

1691190295928.png

$ 300 or $ 30 Not saying what is right But if they get stolen now and then. Which was common back then and has gotten worse as I hear . We used to hide them and machines under some heap Air condition duct upon a higher floor ..Keeping them longer than taking them down to the shed.
On the Constructions site .Left behind dropped. 20 -30 $ a piece.
Thrown up on the scaffolding as we did From a coworker below .For not to need climb down

Not saying what is right or wrong and perhaps the real price for professionals is different but it is a factor 10 X

Back