So I'm building a thumper....SR500

Check it out dudes...

pMfHYPTl.jpg

Nah I'm in Dallas.

Wish I could make it out there for BF....

I'm on the hunt for a new build soon. This one's done as soon as I wire and tune and weld up the pipe.

I had an sr500 a few years ago, I loved that bike more then anything.
I put the 540 kit in it, had a custom re ground can for it, titanium valves heavy springs and keepers
Hydraulic clutch with Barnett heavy duty clutch in it

When i bought it, was painted as a matchless, I found a NOS tank for 25 bucks at an old dealer ware house, had the side covers re done again.

Had it dyno tuned at 51 HP at the rear wheel, light to light not much touched it.

When i was getting married and buying my house I needed the money and couldn't afford to keep it :(

Oh yea....this one should scream pretty good. I set out to put together a real banshee motor for this build:

36T0Hzel.jpg

1978 2J2 499cc single; bored to 540cc (90mm bore)
JE 90mm piston, Pro Seal rings
Megacycle 25130 camshaft and vernier cam sprocket set at 4.7* retarded
Intake open @ 25.3, close @ 56.7
Exhaust open @60.3, close @ 24.7
Tsubaki Camellia endless cam chain
Port/Polish head with 38mm intake
Mikuni VM38 carb
Stock rod
NOS Yamaha valves
Stock lower oil feed line
.021 copper base gasket
.042 copper head gasket
Steel base nuts
NOS Yamaha cam chain guides
Late model 5 screw oil pump
Barnett clutch discs and fibres
Kick indicator block off
Tachometer block off
Megacycle hardened rocker arms
Kibblewhite brass valve guides and OEM seals
RD valve springs, alloy
Kedo dual rocker oil line
Kedo ball-type valve adjusters
Kedo case saver
Sun Star 520 16t sprocket
Kedo oil cooler
Powerdynamo MZB ignition/charging system with lighting coil
stainless hardware

This one's all done guys, gonna start it this weekend and get it tuned. Also having a friend take some pro shots.

COJHyFOl.jpg

IQZYghul.jpg

Z0i4812l.jpg

DvoxuKql.jpg

looks damn fresh. I bet it will shred! You boost the compression a bit from the copper gaskets?

Hahaha thanks for the nice words guys. This little bike should be a ton of fun. I actually was able to get it off my 4 foot tall bench on my own!

Tron, the copper gaskets are speced just slightly thinner than stock, and it's got a high compression JE piston in there. Should have some good response and torque.

JP, I actually posted a WTB ad on CL, had 2 guys come through the woodwork. Bought a pair of SRs in a weekend, both titled, for $1500. My buddy is also building one, and I found a basket on CL recently for like $250 (no title).

hey man whered you get the seat ? sweet bike by the way gonna build a tt500 just about the same engine built more for offroad longer shocks and fork but im drop that sucker haha

Over the course of the last year my partners and I have been working to found an American Made moped/scooter company. (Thus the reason I've not spent much time on the XS Forum) Previously I had never before worked with single cylinder engines and even though mopeds are limited to 50cc I'm finding I absolutely love the simplicity and beauty of a single. I'm thinking my next real motorcycle will be a thumper.

Back