Straighten me out?

diesel650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can't make heads or tails of the wiring diagram. Can anyone tell me how to hook up the coils to the harness. the Gray, Brown and Orange wires don't seem to have reciprocating connectors. I may have different year coils and harness though. Not sure. Then theres the red/white wires coming out of the harness with seemingly no where to go.

Thanks

grey brown orange is the trigger for the timing. tells the ignition were the crank is.
Red/white go to coil.
I am assuming you have a 1980 or later xs650? It would be good to include that in your questions. Put it in your signature like i did, or under your avatar.

If you're talking stock coils, brown is the power and would be connected to the R/W in the harness. The 2 R/W's in the harness come from the same source so either one to either coil is fine. The orange or gray wires on the coils hook to the points sets. Well actually, they run to a female double bullet connector that adds a condenser to each line, then to the points set.

The ends of the coil wires should have differing connectors, a male bullet on the brown and a female bullet on the orange or gray. This helps get them connected properly. The R/W wires from the harness should have a female bullet connector so they will only connect to the brown coil wires.

CondenserHook-up2.jpg

the way you grouped the wires in question had me thinking of the trigger pickup on the stator. sorry bout that.

Back