The Animated Engine Thread

The Wankel had all kinds of promise - in an era when fuel was cheap and exhaust emissions were unregulated.

The light weight, compact size and smooth operation of the rotary was just sooooo coooolll. Unfortunately, fuel price and regulations coupled with some vexing problems in engine durability (largely in the apex seals as pointed out by Dude) really limited their application. These engines have poor volumetric efficiency and require really large exhaust catalysts (i.e. lots of expensive platinum) to comply with the regs - and modern piston engines are darned near as good at being light, small and smooth. Oh well...

Recent discussions on camchain guides, found this.

New contest.
Audi V8 engine.
How many chain guides can you find?

14LJ.gif

The Wankel had all kinds of promise - in an era when fuel was cheap and exhaust emissions were unregulated.

The light weight, compact size and smooth operation of the rotary was just sooooo coooolll. Unfortunately, fuel price and regulations coupled with some vexing problems in engine durability (largely in the apex seals as pointed out by Dude) really limited their application. These engines have poor volumetric efficiency and require really large exhaust catalysts (i.e. lots of expensive platinum) to comply with the regs - and modern piston engines are darned near as good at being light, small and smooth. Oh well...

the rotory still has a very strong following, Me being one of them, I have a s5 turbo charged rotory with a little under 500hp, the volume ineficancey is easily fixed by a turbo, and I use a microtech ECU where I can program EVERYTHING, and get all the juice mazda left on the table, and all the other mistakes mazda made are fixable to, like solid dowles to keep the rotor housings from flexing, and Oiling mods to keep up with the added preshures, all stuff I do in my garage,

That is a gorgeous cut-away, 2M! You can plainly see how and why everything works. Like I've told other people about this motor: it's only slightly more complicated than a lawn mower engine. Probably why almost 50 years later, they can still run like a watch! :thumbsup:

You got that right, Billy! During WWII, the government contracted Singer Sewing Machines to produce .45 Colt Auto pistols. As a company accustomed to manufacture within very tight tolerances, they made some of the best in their day! This was at the end of the war, and production numbers were very low. "Singer .45s" therefore, are some of the rarest, desirable, and finely crafted pistols out there... :offtopic:
But, yeah. Xs's run (more) like sewing machines... :whistle:

You got that right, Billy! During WWII, the government contracted Singer Sewing Machines to produce .45 Colt Auto pistols. As a company accustomed to manufacture within very tight tolerances, they made some of the best in their day! This was at the end of the war, and production numbers were very low. "Singer .45s" therefore, are some of the rarest, desirable, and finely crafted pistols out there... :offtopic:
But, yeah. Xs's run (more) like sewing machines... :whistle:
Pictures ! Pictures !

(Not mine(!) This one went for $25K at auction. Singer only made 5,000 of these as a government test to see if civilian factories could be "taught" to make guns. Some of the companies included Singer, Smith-Corona, International Harvester, Rock-ola, and more...
download.jpg 9387889_3.jpg

59 tebo have you seen what singer is up to theses days,,,, have an extra 1.8 million dollars laying around, you could have one of theses made by singer

59 tebo have you seen what singer is up to theses days,,,, have an extra 1.8 million dollars laying around, you could have one of theses made by singer

Hi billy,
I still have my mother's Singer sewing machine so I know they make good stuff
but if I had $1.8million US I wouldn't squander it on their tarted up Porsche, eh?
$2.4millionCdn would buy a modest acreage on Vancouver Island with a nice
bungalow and a barn to keep XS650s in.

W12. not a V8 engine not a V12 engine a W12
youll get it check out the CNC operated gasket sealant lol, but then the guy bounches his wrech off a cam lobe funny stuff

Back