The insides of my project

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here are two pictures of my project with the alternator cover off. The internals look pretty good for a 36 year old machine. Should I remove the starter and lube the bendix?

Attachments

• 100_0879.jpg
    100_0879.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_0880.jpg
    100_0880.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 235
All the starter motor is, is a motor. All the gearing for the starter mechanism is lubed by engine oil. So no need to lube any thing.

The starter bendix is inside that cover under and slightly in front of the clutch, it lives in the engine oil no lube needed. For your muffler thread; it looks like you have a stock 74-75 exhaust. you will also need to remove the bolt that that holds the muffler bracket to the passenger peg area to remove the head pipe and muffler together. That exhaust does not have a cross over pipe so each side can be removed separately.

Thank you very much for the good advice. This is my first project. I'm starting to get a little frustrated. I replaced the battery, got the electrics sorted out and she will not start.

Oops looked at your picture again and I see a rear master cylinder so you have a 78-80 Special, those years have a cross over pipe down by the center stand. As xj sez the crossover has a slip joint but it's almost always rusted into a mess that only can be ripped, torn or busted, apart

Back