The Official Texas Thread

yeah 54, MAX has a bike for you, i will help you get it on the road.
by the way max2000 what kaind of parts are in the boxes? got carbs?

comes with clean title . 1980 xs650 special
how i got it before i tore it down. also not in the picture is side covers and gauges and an 18" rear rim
6976774274_68848d5ceb_z.jpg

photo (4) by maxjmachado, on Flickr

whats up man, I live in austin and would love to buy that xs, if its still available call me 512-508-6608. my name is Holden. Thanks

sorry guys ive been busy, the motorcycle is out of storage and ready to be delivered to its new owner. leave another om if your interested and ill pm you my number

just messaged 54 inches. i know he has been looking for one for awhile and i would love to help him. if anyone knows another way to contact him please do so.

First, I need to start over and say THANK YOU to all the guys that have been trying to get me in a bike and keeping their eyes open.

After reading the thread from weeks ago, it appears their might be an issue with PMs for Max and myself.

He sent me one and I did not get it and a few members sent him one and it does not appear he got it and so I am going to leave my email address here and see what happens.

m_a_ hoskins at hot mail dot com.

BTW, if anyone in the area needs something mig welded or sandblasted I am your guy. I posted it up in the other thread about needing help while on the road, but if anyone needs something I have a whole shop full of tools and I am always building something, so I would be glad to help or to do the work for a barter or something.

I drink Lone Star Beer, Maker's Mark Whiskey & Kraken Rum. MY birthday is in a month so get to the FN store already.

Again, Love you guys for all the help! I hope we can all ride together one day.

Last edited:
Max, where in houston are you? I am in med center, got an 82 that could use the frame and probably more off that.

Also, 54, whereabouts are you? If you end up getting that frame, I might consider grabbing a weldon hardtail, those david bird rounded ones look sweet. Will need a good welder :)

Hey new to xs650s but I am out in Las Colinas Texas.

I live in an apartment and if any of you around the Dallas area would be willing to help a young new xs650 owner out, I need some expert advice and a place to work on my bike. Once I finish the carb clean out and basic maintenance you need on a bike that's been sitting for 10+ years >.< I could use any help/advice I can get.

I'll trade garage grunt work for the help!...I.E. shop clean up etc, or maybe you just wanna pass along some knowledge to a new young xs650 fanatic?

Thanks,
Dan

Any of you Texas-xs-heads have any experience with a bonded title? I think I might have figured out my vin, but in the likely chance that PO doesn't want to assist in getting a copy of lost title and then re-signing it over to me/writing me a bos, it may be my only other option to get current xs on the road.

My issue is that the stamped vin is only 9 digits, of the 17 that are on the sticker. From what I have read, you need a pencil shading of vin stamp for bonded title, which will cause me issues, if that be the case.

Posted via Mobile

Any of you Texas-xs-heads have any experience with a bonded title?
Posted via Mobile
I have PLENTY of experience with bonded titles. The total cost with bond, tax, registration and fees used to be about $175.
About 9 months ago, the legislature changed the process. It now costs about $525 to get a bonded title on ANYTHING that is over 25 years old in Texas. The reason is that they now set the value of anything over 25 years old that doesn't have a title at $6,000, and that's what you pay 8% tax on. It doesn't matter if it is a car, motorcycle, moped or a little one-rail trailer, if it is 25 years old and doesn't have a title, it is valued at $6,000.
Trust me on this, I know what I am talking about. Call up anyone who issues bonded titles, and see for yourself. You are better off finding a titled frame on eBay and doing a frame swap.
Everyone reading this should complain to their congressman about it, the law change is total BS.

Last edited:
They also blew out the "mechanic's lien" option, with the change that you have to have a work order, signed by the owner of record, for the repairs you are filing the lien for. I got a clear title with a mechanic's lien for a Shadow 1100 that way about 5 years ago. Cost all of 135 bucks. I realize that someone in the legislature thinks they are doing good work (especially when they collect more money for the state coffers), but it's making it damn hard to get stuff done in most instances!

Wow, that sucks about bonded titles. So I guess that reduces my options, which is good. Got my mom checking the vin. Guess my options are new frame or part it out and try again.

Posted via Mobile

Back