The Official Texas Thread

Alright, what you need is a buddy in Maine to get you a Maine title. If it's over 16 years old, it can change hands on a bill of sale, and a title gets generated. Bingo! You would have to cover the fees and such, but once you have the clean Maine title, you can transfer it to Texas. Kinda long way around, but what are ya gonna do? Trash it over a little piece of paper?

http://www.dmv.com/me/maine/title-transfer

BUT, when its an out of state title bike must be inspected and vin verified. Just did mine a couple of months ago as my title was outta Lousiana. There are companies from easier states to get titles from that can do it for you, many in the vw world do it all the time.

I used stabb titling company Maine Got me a set of plates. I sent proof of insurance , bill of sale and some loot. Got back plates good for a year, end of year went to DMV and said I bought it on vacation and wanted it legal here now. Some waiting and done. :bike:

I used stabb titling company Maine Got me a set of plates. I sent proof of insurance , bill of sale and some loot. Got back plates good for a year, end of year went to DMV and said I bought it on vacation and wanted it legal here now. Some waiting and done. :bike:

Well, I don't have BoS or proof of insurance, but ill give them a call and see what options arise.

The one huge ball I have in my court is that PO seems nice enough not to contest ownership, but sadly not nice enough to help me get replacement title.

Posted via Mobile

^is he reasonable enough to write up and sign a bill of sale, at this point? have you gathered the paper work needed to get a replacement title? If you do some ground work, gather and fill out the paper work for him, all that's left is for him to do is sign on the dotted line and mail it in. I think there's even a form that turns over the title during the process. He signs the paper work (you might have to get it notarized), send it to TXDot, they create a replacement and send it straight to you.

Well, that's a difficult question. The last time I texted him, about a month ago, I offered to do all the leg work, but needed his help figuring out the full vin (ie him contacting old insurance co. or whatnot). He informed me that he had moved out of state, and said my best bet was probably pursuing a bonded title and then communication dropped off.

Now that I possibly have the vin # (I need to get it verified somehow), I downloaded the pdf of the replacement title form and started filling it out. Assuming I can verify this vin, I had planned on texting him again with the proposition, as well as suggesting greasing him a bit...

Posted via Mobile

Well, just sent a text to PO, informing him that I have tracked down vin*, as well as begun the paperwork, asking if there is any way I can pay him to make it work his couple of signatures. Now the waiting game, not holding my breath.

*(at least according to http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder/JYA5V4000CA002971, which mainly just confirms that it IS a vin, but I can see it decently on the sticker, and the information that brought up matchs my bike)

Posted via Mobile

I just sent stabb an email, hopefully will hear back Monday. Curious, how did you have proof of insurance if you didn't have the bike registered yet? Perhaps it is different in Virginia.

Also, a trip to union cycle salvage by south loop in Houston yielded no frames. Haven't check at the salvage spot down in pasadena yet.

Posted via Mobile

The thought has crossed my mind. Hopefully stabbs will email me back tomorrow and we can see what options arise.

Posted via Mobile

Arlington Texas here. Thought I had posted in here already but I guess not. I've got 2 1972 models in bad shape and one 1974 model that has already been cut up. I had ben working on it a little but being self employed has been kicking my ass. No time to work on them. I'm hoping this fall I will have some time. So if any of you guys around DFW want to get together sometime just holler.

DannyB, I'm in Las Colinas. I'm new here and to working on bikes in general. If you ever need a wrench monkey let me know, trying to build up as much experience as I can while working on my own xs650.

Back