"Thug Life"....My Build

Kinda slow progress, but I've finally turned my attention to the motor. It was a nonrunning bike when I bought it so I didn't know what to expect. After inspection, I determined that I needed to pull the head and jugs to replace a base gasket. I tore into it and was pleasantly surprised on the condition of the internals. The sleeves looked good and were in spec. The guide and tensioner appear to be in great shape. Valves are seated properly...tested with light and liquid. The pistons have a little carbon buildup, but otherwise look good. Cam and lifters are clean as a whistle. When I bought the bike the carbs were in a box....which leads me to believe that it was a carb issue that took it off the road. I'm going to soak and deglaze the clutch before reassembly. I'm replacing the rings and camchain while I have it disassembled. I dropped the head and jugs off today to be soda blasted. The carbs were sent to Rick West in SC for a total overhaul. He owns Old Skool Carbs and makes art out of 35 year old carbs. This bike should look and run better than new when I'm done. I will update in a few days when it starts giving back together...stay tuned.

Posted via Mobile

It's been a few days and a lot of money since my last update. I got my head and jug back from the soda blaster, my carbs are on the way back from Old Skool Carbs, and I have a ton of parts ordered. A new Pamco ignition, coil, plugs, etc. I'd like to thank Rick for the awesome work on the carbs. I ordered a set of polished velocity stacks from Steel Dragon to set them off. All new stainless steel hardware for the motor on the way too.

Before pics....

Screenshot_2012-09-07-06-11-01.png

After Pics......

Screenshot_2012-09-07-06-08-57.png

Posted via Mobile

Holy shit those carbs look awesome. I was debating on rebuilding my carbs myself but my mind has been changed. How much did the carb rebuild cost?

just wondering why are your white walls blue on your tires??
also holy sh*t those carbs look awesome!!!

also were did you order that springer from and is just a bolt on or did you have to modify it??

Holy shit those carbs look awesome. I was debating on rebuilding my carbs myself but my mind has been changed. How much did the carb rebuild cost?

$225 shipped back to you...plus any parts. Look up Old Skool Carbs in the shop area.

Posted via Mobile

just wondering why are your white walls blue on your tires??
also holy sh*t those carbs look awesome!!!

also were did you order that springer from and is just a bolt on or did you have to modify it??

The blue is just a protective layer that tire companies put on new white walls. It just helps keep the whites...white. The Springer is a black and chrome DNA -4 under. I got a bearing and race kit from Ardcore Choppers to mount it. Its a slick kit and you can virtually mount any frontend on an XS.

Posted via Mobile

Christmas in September!! All kinds of new stuff showed up today...some for show and some for go!!!

20120907_184536.jpg

Posted via Mobile

are you planning to put a front brake on?
fwd controls?

i'm waiting for my ardcore tail to arrive and i've be thinking about doing up the springer front end also,

you build looks sick!!!!!

No, it's not going to have a front brake. I'm in the process of tabbing up some mid controls. They will be like the Mulligan Machine mids but I'm putting on vintage spoon style pegs. Thanks for the compliments.

Posted via Mobile

Soda blasted....I had it done at a shop. It cleaned them up good, but I may end up painting them after all.

Posted via Mobile

Freedom Blasting in Carmel. 317-774-4321 Ask for Scott and tell him Matt with the XS650 motor and Model A body sent you. They do good work and have a quick turnaround. He charged me $100 for what you see.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks guys. This has been a slow week as far as progress goes. I've been doing some cosmetic work on the head and jug while it's apart for the rebuild. I really liked the look of a black motor with polished fins. It is taking forever to do, but I'm satisfied with the results. Below is a sneak peek. On another note, my rear fender finally showed up. A little more fab work with the mids and rear fender and it'll be about time to start breaking it down for paint and powdercoat.

20120918_171210_zps4a352a6e.jpg

20120918_184907_zps78d306d6.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Back