"Thug Life"....My Build

Where did you get those tires? I saw some, but none with that tread pattern. Bike looks great, using it as some inspiration for my build.

What paint did you use? Did you clear coat or anything on top of it? It is very impressive looking, great work man!:thumbsup:

Thanks man....I used Rust-oleum Engine Enamel. I've used it on several engines with good success. Soda blasting definately helps...and good prep work.

Posted via Mobile

Mids, cables, Pamco electronic ignition are all done and the pipes are on. Tomorrow I am going to put the headlight back together and finish installing the chain. I'm waiting on the tins from the painter so I can do the wiring....getting close!!!

20121111_200210.jpg

20121111_195300.jpg

20121111_195241.jpg

Posted via Mobile

I like it, but its really turning into an angry monkey clone. Looks good tho

Posted via Mobile

I like it, but its really turning into an angry monkey clone. Looks good tho

Posted via Mobile

I guess that is a compliment. I've said from page 1 of this thread that Dan's bikes are what inspired this build. I've always admired his style and craftsmanship. I do not have the funds to buy one of his Triumphs so this was the next best alternative. I've actually talked to Dan several times during this build and he was more than willing to offer any advice. Actually, he is the one that sold me the Cole Foster tank on the bike. If my bike is comparable to the quality of work he does....I'm good with that.

Posted via Mobile

Does anyone know of a source for Cole Foster tanks? I have heard they are not being made anymore but then I see another one on a build. Nice lines on this one. What color are you going to paint it? Follows very close to the Angry Monkey bikes that inspired you. I am a big fan of Hartz Bros Triumph builds in New York state if you have ever seen them.
jefft

That was most definately a compliment. They can be considered cookie cutter, but its my favorite style. Low, stripped down, and period correct. My build really isn't far off from this either

Posted via Mobile

Did you modify the right engine cover? I've never seen one like that there usually smooth with "YAMAHA" in them and the small cover for the oil screen.

Wow I am loving this bike a lot. I cant wait to see the paint. As for the cole foster tanks they are making them in batches again you can find them on Ebay every once in a while.

I am really digging all those staggered yet parallel lines. The top frame rails and seat and then the exhaust and bottom rails... just perfect.

I fell in love with the Foster tank....it just has low, sleek lines that seemed to go well with the frame. Like he mentioned, I believe they are back in production. I wanted the tins to match the bike, but have some color. I also wanted a little vintage feel, but have a classy look. What the painter and I came up with will be gloss black, silver, and a candy red. The silver will have a lot of small micro flake and the candy red will have an old school lace pattern shot below it in candy purple. The colors should look deep and look like glass when they are done. As far as the cover, yes it is a 3 hole shovelhead cover. It fit and looked better than the big twin covers. It does take some time to get it to fit the contour of the motor cover. To mount it I drilled and tapped the crankcase cover. Make sure that your bokts are proper length so they don't interfere with your clutch pack. I used a thread sealer made by loctite to ensure there is no leaks and that they don't come loose. Be careful and take your time tapping aluminum. One more thing to consider is the age of the aluminum. I intentionally used an old derby cover so that it would match the 35 year old yamaha aluminum. If you buy a new derby cover expect it to shine more than your stock aluminum when polished. Thanks again for the kind words.

Posted via Mobile

This bike is looking great. Just the look I would want. I like the clean look of no front brake, but how do you guys get by without a front brake and pipes without a muffler? I'm asking front the legal aspect not the safety of no front brake. When I finished a tracker I was building I was out on my first ride when a motorcycle cop who was setting on a curb watching traffic started his bike and rode across the street and made a complete circle around my bike as I set at the red light. I live in Arizona. Are there states where you can legally run without a front brake?
jefft

This bike is looking great. Just the look I would want. I like the clean look of no front brake, but how do you guys get by without a front brake and pipes without a muffler? I'm asking front the legal aspect not the safety of no front brake. When I finished a tracker I was building I was out on my first ride when a motorcycle cop who was setting on a curb watching traffic started his bike and rode across the street and made a complete circle around my bike as I set at the red light. I live in Arizona. Are there states where you can legally run without a front brake?
jefft

I'm not sure of legality but normally the cops are easy going on the bikers. I live 5 minutes west of Speedway/Indianapolis. We have the Indy 500, Brickyard 400, US Nationals, and the US Moto GP. The bikers come out to support all of these events...big time. We also Riley's Children's Hospital.....and various charity rides. We support the community and in return they are fairly relaxed. In fact, a lot of police officers are avid riders. I'm not saying they wouldn't bust your ass for doing something stupid in front of them. I've owned everything from turbo bikes, bikes with sidewinder pipes, Harleys, ect. I've never had a problem and none of my biker buddies have either....besides the ones that have done something stupid. I guess I'm lucky to have some freedom with my bike builds.

Posted via Mobile

Back