Verification on Handle Switches (XS2)

haterade

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have been rewiring the bike, and notice that the original xs2 wiring diagrams are not matching up. Colors, number of wires etc. Comparing and contrasting later model wiring diagrams, it is much closer to those. I have been looking for pictures of early model handlebars to verify that these are later switches, but haven't really found good pictures. Im sure you guys will be able to tell in a second. I am concerned with the left and right hand controls, as well as the ignition switch.

It is worth noting that the ignition switch has only four wires, missing the red/white wire shown on the original xs2 diagrams. I wonder if there was just a donor bike used somewhere.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 160
These don't look right for 72. Not sure what they're from. My 72 has hi/low, on/off (headlight) and the horn on the left.

On the right, just the kill switch and there should also be the decompression lever on the right controls.

Ignition looks about right, but I'd have to see the guts to know.

Even using the controls you have wiring them in isn't a real big problem. On the ignition switch the important wires are the red, power in, the brown power out to most of the bike, red/yellow, power out to headlight on/off switch. The blue wire is power to the tail light.
From there just follow the 74 diagram.
Your right side switch housing looks to have the start button below the headlight on/off switch.
Leo

Thanks for the replies guys. Studying those wiring diagrams out today, I think I may have it figured out.

I was testing continuity with the right hand switch controls and figured out that the red and white wire to the kill switch is grounded. The wire looks like it may have been burnt up from a short. Is there any hope of fixing something like that or is it a definite replacement?

Back