Welder suggestions

Dozer281

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so I am planning on building an XS650 bobber and am still in the 'planning' stages. This being said, I have never welded anything in my life but am set on learning how to weld to comlpete the XS project. I have read that leanring on a flux core wire fed is best due to ease of use and they seem to be within my price range. I want to buy a welder but my budget is limited, looking to spend under $300 on a setup. Craigslist doesnt have much to offer in my price range but I did find this setup at Sears, any input?

Craftsman Wire Feed Welder, Gasless - $279
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00920568000P

I'd spend a couple extra bucks and get a wire feed that uses a shielding gas. Much cleaner.

There are few MIG machines you can get for about that price that will allow you weld gas-less or with gas. All you have to do is change the wire. That will give you the flux-core welder to start, then you can add the gas later when you can afford it.

Also, take a look at this thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4082

Are there any welding classes around you can attend? You can learn the skills very fast with a teacher. It could tak years to get there on your own.

My dad know how to weld and my grandfather was a welder his entire life so my hope is to get one of them to help teach me. Dad says I should geta Lincoln 225 arc welder....any thoughts on this one?

I was gonna get one and write a review after useing it for a while but somebody owed me a hundred bucks and i convinced him to give me his Lincoln sp 125plus welder and we called it even :D:D. But that eastwood one looks like a great little welder it's a 140 and will do flux core and mig w/ sheiding gas. In fact i still want one.

I bought the Eastwood $300 one and it looks to be of good quality, and although I haven't used it yet it has good reviews online.

I got the Lincoln 180 but the 110 Volt 135 or 140 models would do the job fine and be easier to wire in. I feel that Lincoln or Miller is the way to go since the parts support is very good for both. Both make quality MIG welders.

Last edited:
I picked up a Lincoln 140 about a month ago and it works great. Very good quality and simple to use.

Best bang for the buck is a Clarke MIG. I taught welding and used these in my class, as well as owning one for my own shop. They are quality machines at reasonable prices.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my MIG. I pulled out the plastic wire liner and replaced it with a $1 length of curtain wire - the stuff that looks like the outer casing on motorcycle/bicycle cables. Unbelieveable improvement - the wire feeds perfectly smooth on the lowest setting now. The Ameteur MIG forums are full of comments stating that a steel liner is superior to a plastic liner. I would not have believed them unless I tried it myself. Good cheap upgrade if you have 2 hours spare.

Last edited:
I had the Lincoln 225. Marvelous piece of equipment. You won't get one anywhere near your budget. I got mine on sale around 1300. Since I only do light, occasional work it now sits in my son's garage where real work gets done. They sent me a 110 volt Lincoln to use. It's ok for the metal thicknesses you will be doing.

PetesPonies, in the UK this is what they call curtain wire:
Liner.JPG

It is the same spring construction as MIG wire steel liners and bike cables but without the actual cable down the middle. It is used to hang curtains because small hooks can be screwed into each end allowing it to to be attached to window frames. It is a fraction of the cost of a MIG liner and my plastic liner brass fittings fitted it perfectly.

Back