What do you do for a living ???

UMass takes all my money and tells me what to do so I consider it a full time job. Pre-medical path so hopefully I will be in the medical field in the near future.

I dropped out of college my junior year (3.0 gpa) to get married (lasted 6 months) and took a job in a local paper mill. I lost a few fingers and moved from floater to machine operator to Electrical and Instrument Technician, that lasted 10 years. I then went to IH (International harvester) as a floater on the assembly line where 4000 of us were laid off after 14 months. Unemployed for 11 months (during 9/11) The state paid for my training and I took a help desk job with a manufacturing company for 7 years. I was crappily pay and overworked, so when the opportunity came to work for the Gov. I took it, now I am a TCNO (Time Compliance Network Order) Technician with no overtime and good pay. It took me almost 20 years to get to a job I am happy at and a second marriage going on 15 years now.

George, congrats on both! If you have a job you like AND a happy marriage, there's a lot to be said for that, as it likely puts you in a fairly small segment of the general pop!

TC

I've hauled in and out of asphalt plants-- the stories I could tell of drivers driving trucks off the sides of the scales, forgetting to lock the hoses when unloading tankers, running into the hopper supports, driving away before the asphalt stops flowing...

Makes us look pretty bad so I won't..

Been there,...shoveled that!

Or worked on something that just handled or made asphalt!

Attachments

• Plant pics  046.JPG
    Plant pics 046.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 145
Land Use Planner

Would love a job that has me outside more. Thought about getting some skills as pipelayer and equipment operator, then getting my masters in Parks & Recreation and work at a state or local park.

New member here in Arizona.

I have worked in the semiconductor business since 1978. for the past 27 years I have worked for ASML, a dutch semiconductor equipment company based in Veldhoven, The Netherlands. I work as a project manager for the customer support organization.

I also own a small custom guitar amplification company called Glaswerks. Get to meet a lot of interesting people in the music world.

Before going back to college for electronics I worked as a motorcycle mechanic in a small Kawasaki shop in Bakersfield California (my home tome). Loved those old H1's and H2's.

Glaswerks I have lived in Bakersfield since 1959. Iwas 9 when we moved here.

Cool, I was born (1954) and raised there. I used to work for Cycles Unlimited (now defunct) on 21st from 73 to 75. Graduated from BHS in 73 and moved to Arizona for college in 75 and never left. Do miss the ole home town.... Bill Lees, Andres and a lot of fond memories. Haven't been to b-town in about 7 years. The wife and I plan to ride our Stratoliner over there later this year.

Aka
Gary

I can't get over what a wide variety of occupations the folks have who love this motorcycle, the XS650. Amazing!
Like Lily Tomlin (as Ernestine) used to say: "everyone from Kings and Princes, to the scum of the earth".
:)

Here goes~ I went to commercial diving school in 90'. Worked underwater for couple years then developed asthma. Sidestepped and worked in piledrivers union(4 yrs)with lots of welding/burning/marine construction. Quit and built houses with a friend for years then joined carpenters union and have been doing bridge construction till now.Mostly custom formwork. I love being outside all year.

Last edited:
I'm grateful to have a job, but counting the days til i have a different one. Right now I work in a small retail shop. We sell "high end" carpet and area rugs. Been doing that for ~5yrs. The hours and conditions are great... I just feel unfulfilled. I just put in my application to go back to school. I've wanted my whole life to be a commercial pilot. Soon I will be. Flying and working on/riding my xs is what I wish I could do all the time!

I think being a plumber would be a fun job, so long as your doing new construction and not residential sewage fixes.

Back