What have you done to your XS today?

Sunday installed new swing arm bushings and triple tree races. Yesterday I finished assembling the forks, new seals and dust shields. Its about time I started working on the 79 with side car again.

Attachments

• DSC00688.jpg
    DSC00688.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 155
Last few rides the carbs felt they needed to be re sync'ed. Mirror images looked worse than usual and if felt shakier, so it was time. Got her warmed up and played with the mixture some to make sure they were ok. Balanced the carbs using the hands over the exhaust. I know it's not as accurate as a manometer(and one day I will make one). Now I need to get a ride in for some gas and to check my work.

I finally extracted my digit and cleaned my XS650's carbs.
Found one blocked slow running jet which explains why the bike only ran on both cylinders when at half-throttle or more.
Now the engine picks up smoothly rather than surging when the second cylinder finally kicks in and idles like a 650 twin rather than like a 325 single.
Still to do:-
Patch up the sidecar's paint job and install it's new windshield.
Then plate the rig to summon the March blizzard.

Finally took the time to synch my carbs, and my bike will now idle below 2K after warm up. Next is to adjust the cam chain and then set the timing.

Last few rides the carbs felt they needed to be re sync'ed. Mirror images looked worse than usual and if felt shakier, so it was time. Got her warmed up and played with the mixture some to make sure they were ok. Balanced the carbs using the hands over the exhaust. I know it's not as accurate as a manometer(and one day I will make one). Now I need to get a ride in for some gas and to check my work.
Dude my mirror images look worse every year since I turned 55.
sorry I just had to.

Rode hell out of it! Hey, we rebuilt my brother xs650, bored out to 1st oversized and put Pamco ignition in it, ported the intake and exhaust and it runs really good however, just this few weeks I completed mine and I'm running TCI. My bike is stock. All I did to mine was install the brat section replace the coil and installed a two into one intake with a Vm 36 carb . It flies!!! Way faster than my brothers. Is it the TCI?

Jafladd, There are many threads on Master Cylinders. Yours being a round one it is on a 72-76 bike. Right? If so it has a 16 mm bore. You might find a rebuild kit but they cost.
I might suggest shopping Ebay. Sellers on there sell a 14 mm bore M/C for around $30. I currently run one on my 75. They smaller bore M/c will improve the brake action and feel over that 166 mm one you have.
On lines braided stainless steel is the best.
You caliper is not hard to tear down to clean.
Threads on that to. A bit of searching will find them
Leo

Is it the TCI?
Description
a battery operated, fully transistorized breakerless
ignition system. By using magnetic pickup
coils the need for contact breaker
points is eliminated. This adds to the
dependability of the system by eliminating
frequent cleaning and adjustment of
points and ignition timing. This TCI
unit incorporates an automatic advance
circuit controlled by signals generated by
the pick-up coils. This adds to the
dependability of the system by eliminating
the mechanic advancer. This TCI
system consists of two main units; a
pick-up unit and an ignitor unit.
Operation
The TCI functions on the same principle
as a conventional DC ignition system
with the exception of using magnetic
pick-up coils and a transistor control box
(TCI) in place of contact breaker points.
Pick-up unit
This unit consists of two pick-up coils
mounted on the generator case and a
permanent magneto on the rotor which
is mounted to the crankshaft. When the
magneto passes through these pickup
coils, the signals are generated at the
pick-up coils and forwarded to the
ignitor unit as a signal.
The full ignition advance is determined
by the distance (or angle) between two
pick-up coils.
lgnitor unit (TCI)
This unit has such functions of wave
form, duty control, switching, and electrical
ignition advance. The ignition
timing is advanced electrically using two
signals from the pick-up coils.
The duty control circuit is provided to
control the on time period of the primary
ignition current to reduce the
electrical consumption. This unit also
incorporates a protective circuit for the
ignition coil. If the ignition switch is turned
on and the crankshaft is not
turned, the protective circuit stops
current flow to the primary coil within
a few seconds. When the crankshaft is
turned over, the current is turned on
again by the signals generated by the
pick-up coils.
Note: Even though two spark plugs fire at the same
time only one cylinder is on the compression
stroke at a time. The other cylinder is on the
exhaust stroke and the spark in that cylinder
has no effect.

The rain stopped long enough for me to install my HHB front fork brace and yes, I'm working in the parking lot. I didn't realize I would have to remove the front wheel and brake, but it all went pretty quick. No shop, but I'm getting it done. I love the way it looks, and I can't wait to get it on the twisties to see how it functions. Thanks for the advice from the guys on the forum!

Attachments

• 20150321_163832.jpg
    20150321_163832.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 130
Vince- you didn't happen to be towing that on a trailer thru Oregon recently did you? I saw one just like it in coos bay, and followed it for a little while just to enjoy the view hahaha

Actually, that was Larry just before I bought it from him!

He was taking it to the local dealer for a quick look over before I came down to purchase it from him...he lives just south of Coos Bay.

Good eye!! :thumbsup:

Back