XS 650 Model Identification

Kitsapper

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm brand new to the forum and seeking information about my (recently deceased) father's motorcycle. It says OHC 650 Electric on the side, and the VIN is 447-001230.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to bring this bike "back to life" so I'm also curious about potential value. A friend who works on bikes did get it to run. It was a rough start, some gas leaked out and the electric starter made a grinding noise but it did work to start the bike. It was stored in a garage with no gas in the tank and a preservative product coating the tank.

I've in included some pictures. Any information would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

0-6.jpg
0-9.jpg
0-5.jpg

It looks like you have a pretty much all original (w/ a few period accessories) '74 TX650 there, and one in very nice shape. Being all stock and unmolested makes them worth more. I think you should be able to easily get $1500 for it. Maybe ask $2K but be prepared to negotiate down a little. The '74 isn't as desirable as some other years.

Hey Kitsapper,

Welcome to the site. The bike is a 1974 TX650A. In 1973 Yamaha changed the 650 range from XS to TX. They introduced 2 other models a TX750 and TX500. The 750 bombed so in 1975 the changed the TX back to XS to remove themselves from the TX stigma, so from 75 till 83/84 they are XS650s again.

In 74 TX650A Yamaha did major upgrades to the XS/TX range with a completely new frame, the engine internals were changed, The tins and gauges changed completely, and the rims on the bike were made from alloy instead of chrome on steel. Few other bits and pieces. From 74-79 standards all parts can be interchanged within each model.

A lot of information in this link
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

The bike looks to be in good shape. The surface rust can be cleaned up and with the paint looking quite good the bike would make a nice original runner. Not may original 74's around.

If you gave the bike a good clean up and polish and post some pics from under the seat, (This will show the real condition of the frame and wiring), the clean up will show a prospective buyer the condition and you will maybe get the decent price it deserves

That bike looks like a good survivor. Would be nice to be a bit selective RE the buyer so a hacksaw artist doesn't butcher it and make a mess. Kinda honor thy father?

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it! I'll be taking all the advice here seriously and will post more pictures and updates. Thanks again.

Thank you - it's been a rough seven months since he passed. Making decisions about his belongings is especially hard. What a cool and supportive community you have here - I'm really appreciating all the replies to a new member with a random question.

Back