XS6502F / XS650SK mash up?

that can't be right? mebby "Methylated spirits"?
Looks great Marty!
image.jpg

Please give info on the Cylinder sleeves .. taking out and so
I would think they looked good or was there scratches . ? And those on the picture is new ?
Are they a bit " darkish " or is it just me or the Picture
How did you clean up the cylinders ?
How Measure the cylinders ?

Please give info on the Cylinder sleeves .. taking out and so
I would think they looked good or was there scratches . ? And those on the picture is new ?
Are they a bit " darkish " or is it just me or the Picture
How did you clean up the cylinders ?
How Measure the cylinders ?
Here's what I did. I took all those parts to Fletcher's. He honed the cylinders and reworked the head. For this, I paid $240. Also, it's very near to my office.

The engine was acquired through Facebook. I bought the entire motorcycle, an '83, for $50. The engine is 1981. One of my friends here alerted me to it as I would not have discovered it on my own. This is why the 1979/1983 mashup.

Any facts known of the mileage on the engine .. Pistons look clean on top
35b61f80-6f35-45dc-92ff-d2bfcf2c7455-jpeg.195066

I have no clue as to the history of this engine. I bought it from people who appeared to be stuck cleaning up the estate of a hoarder. It was an awful mess. I have never seen so many hand crank telephones in one place. I probably could have come away with several great deals on old junk, so someone can shovel it into a dumpster after I go for my dirt nap.

What does "reworked the head " mean? A valve job I assume?

Not to insult you memory Marty, but you did remember to give the shop new seals... right?
Yes, I did. I was thanked for that, because it's much easier for me than for him.

He happens to have an XS1100 engine on the floor. I feigned no interest. I'll surely be dealing with them again.

View attachment 198017
I got these from 650 Central. They are 1 3/8” torque peak optimizers. They go into the exit end of those big pipes I bought. Combined with my BS34 carburetors, they should maximize my bottom end grunt. He has them in various sizes.
Newbie here... are there different cams over the years or from the aftermarket? That sole piece is the most important definer of powerband as I understand.

Last edited:
Newbie here... are there different cams over the years or from the aftermarket? That sole piece is the most important defined of PowerBar as I understand.
Yes, there are and there have been different cams for these. Michael “Mercury” Morse has stuff on the 650 Central site. His resume is there too. He can help with that. Or try Hoos Racing.

245a7fc8-da50-44c0-ad68-0cd940590729-jpeg.198189

There's another box forward of of the flasher. I'm I correct in my belief that it's the starter cutout relay. The SK frame does not have these mount tabs. Since I'm going to use the SK wiring harness and battery box. I believe I can cut these tabs off. Am I correct.

Those tabs are mounts for the dual coils in a points system.

Those tabs are mounts for the dual coils in a points system.
Yes. I’m referring to the one holding the flasher and another component forward of the flasher. The coil plate stays. I need to find the flasher on my ‘83 and ID the component forward of the flasher.

Back