Possible to clearcoat bare metal?

AirsoftNY

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to apply a clearcoat over bare steel? Or clear powdercoat?

I like the look of the raw steel tank, fender and frame, I'm wondering if there was an option other than paint that would allow you to give some protection to the raw steel, yet still see it?

thanks!

Aaron

I put VHT clear on my newly made pipes, it darkend it a lil, put several coats on them.
my only rust was from stone chips, looked great,

full

It is possible. Seen it done on frames a few times...tend to remember reading somewhere that there is still the possibilty of rust but I am not completely sure.

I've tried this several times. I've polished steel to a mirror then tried to clear, and the rust has bloomed under the clear each time...those times I did clear, I used good clear too, Dupont chroma.
I have heard that there is a coating that you can spray on bare steel, to keep the rust away so you can then clear it....but I have not tried it yet, don't know what it's called either.
Tom

I watched trucks when Stacy David was on there and he used a product called Zoops. It says you can use it on bare or polished metal. That might work for you.

I cleared over bare metal and it doesnt rust at all. its all about prep. the surface has to be completely free of contaminants.

hi guys ... how about if you use wax and grease removal on the tank ...then wipe it totally clean and dry ,, no finger prints as they leave grease... then hit it with clear coat .... regards oldbiker

you also need metal conditioner to give the clear something to bite onto. Adhesion promoter like bulldog also wouldnt hurt.

although I enjoy the smell of wd-40,I wouldn't want my crotch to smell like it. (maybe pb-blaster)

Prep it right, apply H.O.K. adhereto and then your clear-coat...

http://www.66autocolor.com/HOUSE_OF_KOLOR_AP_01_Adhereto_p/hok-ap01.htm

Thats just adhesion promoter, wont stop rust.

Save yourself lot of trouble and go with clear powdercoat. I have done a lot of research on the subject, as well as a lot of trial and error. All the nice paint jobs you see in the mags that have clear over brushed or turned metal, are usually Powder coated clear first, then they apply graphics, lettering, pin striping etc., then they'll spray a clear coat to smooth it all out.

Heres one i did recently in clear powder...

13%20(45).JPG

13%20(46).JPG

Last edited:
Sounds like a way to go for sure...
But that is why I wrote to apply CLEAR after the adhereto... My buddy's bike was done that exact way over five years ago and is stored out side all year in Florida and has no rust coming through at all...

Yeah i understand what you meant, im just saying that the adhesion promoter is mostly intended for use on chrome or polished surfaces that you cant prep, or don't want to sand. Like when you want a candie over chrome. it acts as a chemical bonding agent. But it wont stop rust any better. Ive done a tank this way before, and it came out good, however one of the fenders done the same way had a bit of rust. Point is, its a crap shoot.

However with powder, there's a pretreatment process (phosphate) which retards rust even if the powder chips.

Back